car camping - long term

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I just ended a six month stint living full time in our 2 door 1990's Chevy Cavalier. From July thru Dec here in Chicago. We now have a free studio apt in exchange for work. I will upload pics and info on how we did it in the next few days.

I own a 98 olds cutlass. I took out the front passenger seat, and the larger fold down in the back which gives me access to trunk on the driver side. I have a few blankets laid down and I cover myself with a medium weight sleeping bag. I have so much room. I have a cooler that sits in the front under glove box.I have one duffel which I keep clothes in, and a regular assault style backpack that sits on duffel, back seat, passenger side. I stealth camp at a local church, Walmart, used car lots. I take plates off at used car lots so it appears to blend in. In a week or so I will be leaving either for the west coast or the south. I plan to make money as I go with temp agencies such as Labor Ready. Does anyone have any other ideas for making money? Also, what is the average price of a night at a campground? I would opt out of electricity...

Here in Ohio, state park campgrounds run anywhere from $17 - $28 per night, depending on location, for a nonelectric site. I know two private campgrounds in the central Ohio area and they are $25 and $20 ($18 for senior citizens) per night.

Wow, thanks for the post.  I followed your blog link and looked at the kelly kettle.  I think I am sold on it.  Looks like I could set up up at night and then just light it up for morning chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal.  Yay

Kidie,&nbsp; <br><br>I don't travel with the Kelly Kettle any longer, but keep it in a bug out bag here at my sticks and bricks.&nbsp; I find that it takes more "babysitting" to keep the fire to stay&nbsp;lit than I prefer.&nbsp; But, it's still a great device that uses what ever flammable material you have about to heat water.<br><br>Instead I've settled on one of those small butane stoves that use the disposable canisters.&nbsp; The only time I'd take something different is if I was going to be in high altitude where the butane doesn't work so well.<br><br>Happy Travels!&nbsp; <br><br>Suanne

Suanne.&nbsp; I have gone to your site and studied the set up you have done to the car.&nbsp; I know my back seats fold down but I have to read the book to figure out how.&nbsp; It looks like it would give more space and give a feeling of safety being in the hard shell of a car when it may be needed.&nbsp; <br><br>I did get a tent but I know there will be times when the weather may limit me to inside the car.&nbsp; <br><br>I got the solo set up for doing morning coffee and oatmeal but I think I am going to get the coleman just in case I am in a no burn area. I looked at the kelly kettle but it looks kind of awkward to handle.&nbsp; <br><br>I am trying to figure out where you put your food stuffs.&nbsp; I have gotten lots of oatmeal, soups, and cream of wheat and other products that are shelf safe.&nbsp; The powdered milk you wrote about do you have a specific recipe you use for making one glass, does it taste powdery, do you add anything to help the taste?<br><br>I can go to Assateague Island here in Maryland and get the BLM pass.&nbsp; I am going to call them and find out what documentation they need from my doc for the disability pass.&nbsp; My doc visit is june 21 so He can fill out what ever they need.&nbsp; That is great advice.<br><br>&nbsp; The weather here has been crappy so I ventured out and studied packing things in the car periodically today.&nbsp; I have tried different things but nothing seems to be what I like.&nbsp; I have 2 duffel bags and have sorted clothes and socks etc.&nbsp; I already had the luggable loo (different name) just not sure where that will fit.&nbsp; <br><br>I like the screen idea and went to the site you showed.&nbsp; Not sure how much to order though. When you make your screen what do you use to seal the edges for strength?&nbsp; Or did I miss that. &nbsp; I like the idea of the"eyebrows" over your windows.&nbsp; So I have to find how to get them.&nbsp; That is another great idea. <br><br>What kind of solar set up do you have for recharging your laptop (if you take it with) and phone and ipod.&nbsp; I have been told that charging your phone in the car while driving ruins your cell phone battery.&nbsp; Not sure why.<br><br>I got the under pad with reflective/foil??? I may try an inflatable mattress.&nbsp; I have my quilt and a sleeping bag that is rated -50 degrees so I should be warm enough.&nbsp; I plan to go with the good weather but I understand the nights can get cold in the desert.&nbsp; <br><br>You have lots of great ideas so I am going to see if they work in my little red.&nbsp; <br><br>Your posts give me the encouragement that I could actually do this.&nbsp; I'm going back and read the details again.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>

I found your blog site.&nbsp; So I am getting more info.&nbsp; I have to try your latte.&nbsp; yum-o, sounds good.&nbsp; You gave the recipe but not the liquid to powder amount.&nbsp; Is that a add to taste bud thing? lol&nbsp;&nbsp; Now I have to find the mixings stuff.<br><br>thanks for all your posts.

<p>Kidie,<br><br>Powdered nonfat milk does have a particular taste so that it doesn't taste just like regular nonfat milk.&nbsp; But, mixed with other ingredients to make a protein drink, creamy soups, etc., I can't tell the difference.<br><br>Also, the no-see-um netting I use for window screens doesn't ravel and is plenty strong&nbsp;... so, no need to seal the edges.&nbsp; I glued Velcro to the window edges so that it's completely across the bottom of the window and tacks the top and sides of the screen material inside the door jam when the door is shut.<br><br>I don't have a solar set up for when I'm traveling solo in my Prius.&nbsp; I mostly charge my electronics while I'm driving (laptop, smart phone, GPS, etc.).&nbsp; If I need to charge while I'm staying in one place for a while, I just turn my car on.&nbsp; Because the Prius is a hybrid, the engine only comes on intermittently to keep the batteries charged.&nbsp; It's a fairly quiet and economical alternative to solar.<br><br>For your other questions, I think I answered them in response to your comments on my blog.<br><br>Finally, I'd encourage you to take some test runs for several days at a time.&nbsp; It's the best way to figure out what will and won't work for you.<br><br>The best to you, Suanne<br><a href="http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com</a></p>

Thank you Susanne.&nbsp; I found the whey on amazon and I am going to try your morning protein drink.&nbsp; <br>Sounds like the no see um screen is strong. I'm glad it doesn't unravel.&nbsp; Thank you for your posts with all the advice.&nbsp; Hope I'm not being a pain in the sit down.

offroad said:
so you want to live out of your car? &nbsp;for a little while? &nbsp;created the simplest instructions possible. Just emergency get out of town bug out instructions. &nbsp; lets go over some logistics:<br /><br />1) &nbsp;A car &nbsp;costs $500 to $5000 for a cheap no frills low mileage vehicle. &nbsp;You need something reliable and low repair costs. &nbsp;Think Honda, Toyota, Mazda lower end vehicles. &nbsp;They tend to last forever. &nbsp;just get the oil changed every 5000 miles. and make sure you have no fliud leaks, fluid levels all up to normal, good tires, and it can stop-brake well. &nbsp;if it starts and can drive its usually good. &nbsp;no smoking exhaust pipes. Get a manual transmission as that can be push started if you kill the battery.<br /><br />2) &nbsp;Do you need a tent? &nbsp;that might be $100 to $300 for a nice size, newer with a rain fly. &nbsp;You need a rain fly. &nbsp;You should consider a four-season version, but can get by with a three season (spring-summer-fall) maybe. &nbsp;Why a tent? &nbsp;well sleeping in the car is frowned upon, though you can do it. &nbsp;Its just easier to park, and hide not far from your car in a tent. &nbsp;you will need to stretch out at night. &nbsp;you need good rest. &nbsp;<br /><br />3) &nbsp;Get a sleeping bag that can be washed. &nbsp;artificial filling (not cotton, not down). &nbsp;I also suggest some kind of portable fan, that will run off your car battery. &nbsp;will keep you cool while you sleep. &nbsp;if you make some kind of extension cord from your car.<br /><br />4) &nbsp;Water and food. &nbsp;you can last a long time without a great meal, but only three days without water, or three hours without water if really hot. something about the rule of threes in there for survival. &nbsp;You need more water than you are likely getting even now. &nbsp;<br /><br />5) &nbsp;Keep yourself clean with soap and water. &nbsp;I personally stopped having colds. &nbsp;stopped completely, after I became obsessive about washing hands with soap and water. &nbsp;you need to wash up a lot, at every chance. &nbsp;and make sure you shave. &nbsp;every day. &nbsp;you just look better that way.<br /><br />good luck. &nbsp;other comments? &nbsp;hope to get some links, and other guidance in responses.

This is extremely informative. I will be using what you said in this thread to take a week out and live in my car. This is kind of the idea I had in mind. Buy a sleeping bag and tent, some camping supplies and make it happen.

You don't need a tent, although forestry experience is good to acquire. '84 Chevy Citation II V6 carbureted 4-door hatchback is my "tent". Just stop carrying all that gear, you won't need most of it. Leave yourself room to sleep.

Suanne, I'm really interested in the Prius too. My friend got a new 2012 Prius which I have ridden in a few times. How long do the batteries last before replacement is needed and what would the cost be to replace? Because the car is so technologically advanced, are there issues with it or has Toyota engineered them out?
Thanks..Will

Hi Telcobilly,

I don't think the Prius has been around long enough to have a very good documented history of the life of the drive-train batteries. But, since the Prius has been around for 12+ years, I suspect they've got a longer average life than many expected as I haven't heard of any widespread drive-train battery problems. I do know there have been individual cases of the drive-train batteries going bad, and that the cost to replace them is around $3000. I don't keep in touch as much as I use to on Prius news, but PriusChat is a good forum to check out if you are interested.

Here is my personal experience -- Purchased an '04 Prius (the first off the line of the 2nd Gen) new in Nov. '03. I currently have over 190K miles on it. I get regular preventative maintenance. I've had only 3 relatively minor repairs required -- right front rotor (under extended warranty), water pump leak, and a brake sensor replacement. It needs some body work done from me bumping into immovable objects :) ... but, mechanically it runs like a champ. I'm on my 2nd (conventional) starter battery, and my 4th set of tires.

In my opinion, Toyota did a great job working out the bugs in the Prius before bringing it to market.

Suanne ... enjoying being in her Prius here in the warm desert southwest

What does a 2nd gen Prius cost with new batteries ? Or pending new batteries ? Anything less than $5000?

offroad,

2nd gen Prius models include years 2004-2009. I would do a search in KBB.com to get the best estimate of their market value. I'm wondering why you would specifically want the price of a Prius with new drive-train batteries. That would be like estimating the price of any used car only if it had a new engine. New batteries, like a new engine, would probably add value to a used Prius, but I'm not sure how much more value that would be. And, furthermore, why would you insist on new batteries when there's ample history that shows that the vast majority of Prius' drive-train batteries last at least as long as their engines and motors.

Please note: I'm teetering on the limits of my Prius knowledge. I would highly suggest that you ask questions of the gurus at Prius forums, like PriusChat, if you want any more detailed Prius information.