car battery/starting battery system, DIY?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that. I await their reply. My email pretty much spelled out what I'm trying to achieve.
Again, I must say, that any of their owners manuals have a ton of info, even if I'm not using that particular product. One case in point is that they explain that their PWM solar chargers are series type and not shunt type. I mean really, who would think of that. Especially when shopping online for a cheapy controller.

Anyway, I've been finding a bit more info about car batteries and the charging. As HDR posted, there does seem to be a similarity between starting and deep cycle. Here's one of many links that have charts.
https://tontio.com/auto-guides/car-battery/car-battery-voltage/#
I also like an above post info about when using solar that a charged battery would go to float quickly. Obviously the next day the charging cycle starts over again but there should be no worries when one knows the battery state to begin with.

Today I put the Battery Tender 021-0128 charger on the van hooked up to shore power. It's been five hours now. Still trickling. Tomorrow I'll probably put a side post disconnect on the neg cable to delete parasitic draw while trying to trickle charge. No worries with losing radio presets. Small sacrifice for the greater gain.

Whelp, I received a reply from Samlex. I would not have ever expected this bit info.
copy/paste

* Charging a starter battery is, well easier and they can take more abuse than deep cycle batteries so you will not need anything special.
Easier if I provide deep cycle limitations:
Deep cycle batteries have limitations in charging current (charging longer and slower), need lower charging Voltages and for flooded need to be maintained (topped up with distilled water and equalized).

So any deep cycle charger is fine on a starter battery.

Cheers

Thank you for choosing Samlex. *

I replied with a thank you and he re-replied with this last tidbit,

* I use the analogy of the hare (starter) and the tortoise (deep cycle). *

So there ya have it. There I have it. Hope this thread helps others as much as myself.