Canned Broth or Bouillon Cubes - Which is healthier

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl1966

Reaction score
For the purposes of this question let's go with lower sodium versions of both. This has never been a concern with my sticks and bricks kitchens, but I need to know if it's worth saving the space in my RV pantry or if there's no difference at all between the two.<br /><br /><br />

&nbsp;&nbsp; Once you open the can and don't use it all, now what. I use bouillon almost exclusively. I drop a cube in hot water and drink it sometimes for breakfast.

I've got plastic lids for tin cans and use them often. Some broth is also sold in the quart sized boxes with resealable pour spouts.&nbsp;<br /><br />I've been doing some reading since posting this and the cubes have the highest sodium count. Broth comes in second, and the one thing I didn't think of ... stock. Stock seems to have the lowest sodium of the three. At the risk of losing some space that might be the way to go in terms of the healthier choice.<br /><br />

i use beef bouillon powder,&nbsp;comes in a container about half the size of a can,&nbsp;one of the top ingredients is beef fat so i don't know if it's healthy but it tastes great... so it's really for soup? i've been adding it to my ramen...<br /><br />cubes or powder are just&nbsp;easy compared to&nbsp;cans. i'm not sure about which is healthier... if it tells you anything i can go take a picture of the nutrition facts and the ingredients on the bouillon powder EDIT: mine isn't low sodium, it's a 1 lb orrington farms i guess it's base or stock...

I looked at all those and even the BTB brand reduced sodium chicken base has enough sodium in it to kill a moose. I found a no fat, no sodium, no msg generic brand at my local market that I picked up to make my veggie soup with tonight.<br /><br />I'll post a pic shortly.<br /><br /><br />

SuperiorTouch like OTRA suggests is what I use...<br />bri

bk2valve said:
SuperiorTouch like OTRA suggests is what I use...<br />bri
<br /><br />that's the one with a lotta sodium in it. under normal circumstances I would definitely get it, and still may by the time i live on the road. for now i'm on a strict diet and exercising daily to get my numbers back to normal. Texas bbq agrees a little too much with me.<br /><br />

I know...I shouldn't have the salt either. The one I have now has a lot of salt...a portion has like 25% of the daily amount....a lot.<br /><br />I do have some HerbOx&nbsp; that is sodium free.... Beef flavor...gluten and MSG free....I think I'll stick with that now that I am aware of it....<br />Bri

I keep bouillon in the van (the crumbly kind, not the cubes).&nbsp; It doesn't get used as much as the box type of broth...&nbsp; The compact size is nice though.<br /><br />I prefer the flavor of the canned or box clear broth.&nbsp; The favorite soup is 1 box of chicken broth (32 oz), leftover chicken meat, some tortellini, and salad bar veggies including spinach leaves.&nbsp; The 32 ounce box is just about the perfect size for one person to make 2 meals.<br /><br />The dry bouillon works good though and that's why I keep it around.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is nice&nbsp;add to gravy, mashed potatoes, rice, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br /><br />VT

You're welcome. I have no problem with the saltiness of Better Than Bouillon, since I don't need to add extra salt when using it and, more to the point, I'm 1/2 Hungarian. I also refuse to buy that fake crap. ..Willy.

I agree! Making it from scratch is the best, but I don't have that kind of time right now. Recent health issues are forcing me to seek alternatives until I get things back under control. Once everything is back to normal and I'm living on the road I expect I'll have a little more time to spend in the kitchen when I hit the road. I hope!<br /><br />

The Knorr stuff is not a bad option. You can also get chicken broth ready to use in Tetrapaks. And they reseal so you can keep them for a bit in an ice chest.

Here in S California, &nbsp;the supermarkets usually have a Latino Food section. &nbsp;<br /><br />I've been using a Knorr branded product labelled in Spanish with Smaller English Subprint.<br /><br />Caldo con Sabor de Res, and in smaller lettering Beef flavor Bullion.<br /><br />It is in power form, but the ingredient list is troubling. &nbsp;Salt, MSG and Beef fat are the top 3 ingredients<br />1 teaspoon has 840 mg of salt.<br /><br />It tastes pretty good though, and an 8 oz container lasts me years.<br /><br />I usually use a very small amount instead of salt when boiling pasta.<br /><br />I know the Flavor packs in Ramen soups are likely just as evil, but one flavor (picante beef) I get 6 for 99 cents at a local 99 cent only store is by far my favorite. &nbsp;I usually use only half or less of the supplied noodles, and bulk out the soup with carrot, potato, onion, spinach, tomato, &nbsp;chili pepper and whatever else I have on hand. &nbsp;Pretty good.

Like!<br /><br />
Where_the_Wind_Blows said:
Steve came across this produce at the supermarket today:<br /><br />http://www.knorr.com/product/detail/245822/reduced-sodium-chicken-stock<br /><br />it's condensed in very tiny containers
<br /><br />I looked at their website the other day and got kind of annoyed that they didn't list the nutritional info on the bouillon. I looked at them in the store and the sodium is high. I saw your like and decided to keep digging and saw that they also make a no sodium chicken stock. This makes me very happy because I can save space and my freaking blood pressure now!<br /><br />