Can you repurpose Cat5 cable?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
I've got a roll of never used Cat5e network cable, about 100ft long.  Don't need it for its intended purpose, so I was about to get rid of it.  Then, I wondered:  In a van build, could that cable be used for anything (other than Cat5 cable)?

Vagabound

Just yesterday I ran a piece of cat 5 to the battery.  One pair will be voltage remote sense and another pair will be temperature sense.  I have no plan for the other 2 pairs.

The wires really aren't heavy enough to carry any amount of real power.  Best you could do is use it for sensors, like Trebor.

I use cat 5 cable to ghost my face plates on my car stereos ,, the theft proof face plate is mounted where my rear view mirror would be , the head unit is mounted in the rear of the van , they communicate through the cat 5 cable

Mobilesport said:
I use cat 5 cable to ghost my face plates on my car stereos ,, the theft proof face plate is mounted where my rear view mirror would be , the head unit is mounted in the rear of the van , they communicate through the cat 5 cable

I must live a sheltered existence.  Never even thought about that before.  On the other hand, haven't had a car for a few years (not needed), so that might explain it.

Very creative.

Vagabound

I want to replace the stock radio in this Dodge van. I want it powered by the house batteries.
This ghosting might be just the thing.
Now I just need someone who knows what they are doing.

Cat 5 cable can be used as twisted pair wiring.

Twisted pair is usually called for running from the shunt to the battery monitor like on A Trimetric or Victron battery monitor.

The twisted pair wire is supposed to negate or at least not be as affected by RFI, radio frequency interference. the ammeters on the battery monitors are affected by this and if they read incorrectly, well they can be worse than useless.

Whole the tiny wires within can't carry much current, some devices do not require much current, Like some LED bulbs or even small computer muffin fans..

That is true SternWake, about SOME LED bulbs and SOME muffin fans. But don't use one pair of cat5 wires. At least twist two for each side, plus and neg.

Mobilesport said:
Ghsted face plate

Slick.
My faceplate on my HAM rig is mounted that way too.  Base unit remote located (though the radio came with the cable for remote use)

NomadBob said:
Slick.
My faceplate on my HAM rig is mounted that way too.  Base unit remote located (though the radio came with the cable for remote use)

I just did a Google image search for  "ham radio remote faceplate" 
Wow , impressive , makes me want to watch some YouTube videos on Ham radios .

Mod:  The Cat5 cable part of this thread isn't that important anyway.  Maybe this should be converted into a ghosting / radio faceplate / installation thread as that subject holds more interest and potential to be of value.

Vagabound