can you leave a trailer (or camp for that matter) on NF or BLM land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinker

Reaction score
not forever, of course. i mean i know people have spoken about running into town to pick stuff up, but for how long? i mean, if bob leaves his trailer and takes his truck instead of his bike, is he breaking a law?&nbsp;<div>is it safe?</div><div>just a question from a guy who would have to work a 9 to 5.</div>

Most public lands have a 14 day stay rule, but it has no restrictions on if you are there... The downside is that you take full responsibility for anything that happens when you are gone... I have never had a problem and cant speak for Bob, but ya gotta get ice, fresh water, veggies or just to take a break in town at some point... Ya lock up eveything ya can and try not to ponder on things while away... Also it depends on the area and how busy the area is...<br>

I have camped in 4 of the east coast NF ( Va, WV, Tn and Ga) and several state forests. I have never had an issue running to town or leaving all day for day trips. My last stay in the Cherokee NF in Tn, the guy next to me very obviously left for work and came back in the evening. So, to the best of my knowledge, there are no specific rules against it, though you DO have to stay on the site the first 24 hrs. After that, come and go as you please. ( the 24 hr rule is supposed to cut down on people picking out the choicest spots on Tues, setting up, and comming back on fri to camp for the weekend) , and of course, the 14 day stay rule to give everyone a chance, and to let the sites " heal " from overuse. Truth is, I know people who have camped 3 weeks or more at the same site as long as they kept low key, and have heard of someone ( second hand info, take it with a grain of salt) who spent 6 months at a dispersed site.

<span id="post_message_1273151410">LOL It is true, look hard enough and you will learn something new every day... Thanks Les, I did not know about this rule, but really makes sense...<br><br>""the 24 hr rule is supposed to cut down on people picking out the choicest spots on Tues, setting up, and comming back on fri to camp for the weekend""</span>