Can I use a boat swivel for van seat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decodancer

Reaction score
I rarely have a passenger and once I hit the road it's even more unlikely. I'm having trouble finding a swivel for my passengers captains chair without paying a fortune. Could I adapt a boat swivel. They are easier to find and much less expensive. I'll be living in the van for a few months soon and would love to have a comfy chair.

I hope you find something that will work! One challenge is matching bolt patterns on the seat bottom and floor or riser. I haven't even been able to find an adapter that will work. My installation is complicated by a power seat base. I've spoken with suppliers and van shops, and have yet to come up with a solution at a cost I can reasonably justify given the van's age.

Vickie

Junkyard conversion van would have a few......depending on where you are will very the cost

I bought 2 matching power highback captains , passenger was a foot recliner , both power on swivels like new for 400.00 for my RV in the scrap yard.....even the upholstery matched

I took the swivel seat from the back of my dodge, drilled new holes in the mounting plate, and used it in the front. But I have a hardened set of drills for that 1/4 inch steel!

I have an extra seat to get rid of still~~~

Thanks to all! That is a great price B-Dog, I think you solved the problem.

@decodancer ~ I've been researching the same thing today and found this site offering 4-point swivel bases in various heights for $50. Not sure what shipping costs are.

Factory RV Surplus

@bindi&us - Wow are chairs expensive, even used! I'm with you - tempted to get a reclining office chair welded to a swivel base as a replacement passenger seat, fit the seat belt to the base, and add a few comfy pillows.

Do you think it could be done to be sturdy and safe or would it just be a death seat and fly apart in an accident? Delivery trucks have pedestal seats... is the metal so much stronger that they're allowed and diy seats are not? I haven't tracked down any codes giving me direction.

Bindi, I had trouble too. I put the word swivel in the search space at the top of the site and found them on page 2. I checked your site to Sassy, thanks. Only way to find out shipping costs is to put all my info in. Too tired tonight but will look into it.

Cool, wanted to look at options for future info. Good to know market value on these things.

Sassy, I'd be the guy who pulls up to a dumpster to toss the unbolted seat if I couldn't give it away. The office recliner would be screwed down (sans casters) using pipe strap...only enough to stay put. This is something I'd do only if I lived alone and didn't carry passengers in my rig. In a normal traffic stop it probably wouldn't be noticed with a decorative throw draping over it.
I'm afraid the law dogs would bark loudly if it were used as a passenger seat, even with seatbelts still in place.

Just because I'd do it doesn't mean anyone should violate any vehicle laws.

@bindi&us - Might you know where regulations about that are stated? I have been looking but haven't found anything specific pertaining to seat requirements other than seat design specs. Thanks for any help, as always!

Hi Sassy,
Each state will have their own regulations and those are probably found under the DMV. For example...you build a sandrail (dunebuggy) you want to license for the road. Out here, it has to have a basic inspection for required equipment (seatbelts, lights, brakes, horn, etc). These machines often use a simple padded, fiberglass bucket seat. The last one I registered the state cop checked the mounting bolts for both seats, as well as seatbelt mounts.
Since we have no annual vehicle safety inspection, changing the passenger seat in a van might never be noticed, but I'd hate to argue the point with a cop on the side of the road.
If I were to do the office chair trick, I'd drape it with a colorful Native or Mexican blanket that hides the base. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable with a passenger using it safely.

I'm sorry I don't have any hard facts to offer.

Oh, if I were in a van and did this, the footwell would be converted to a vented battery compartment most likely.

`

decodancer said:
I rarely have a passenger and once I hit the road it's even more unlikely.  I'm having trouble finding a swivel for my passengers captains chair without paying a fortune.  Could I adapt a boat swivel.   They are easier to find and much less expensive.  I'll be living in the van for a few months soon and would love to have a comfy chair.

Swivel Pedestal for Captains Chair $50.00. Hope this helps!

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?product_id=1615