Can a Van Last for 40 Years?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I wish big-ticket consumer goods were available like that.

Would pay lots more for something I could work on myself.

But that's not where maximum profits lie. . .

This is how it is done and will be done for keeping an old vehicle running.
Or maybe give you incentive not to do it.
JK.
Maybe.

Swap, scavenge and hack from newer.
Can be done by those who have money or skills or access to skills.

Jalopnik article on retrofitting an old Volvo with newer mechanicals.
https://jalopnik.com/the-best-thing-to-do-with-your-freshly-engine-swapped-1-1827742589

Note: warning
For those with low data plans, never click any links with pics or video as they are data intensive and will reduce your data plan limit negatively.

John61CT said:
Yes, I wish big-ticket consumer goods were available like that.

Would pay lots more for something I could work on myself.

Step vans are generally built with servicing in mind...and yeah, they aint cheap.

flying kurbmaster said:
If you look at history, vehicles have improved in every way as time has gone on, safety, warranties, engine miles, ease of diagnostic, fuel economy, environmental impact, comfort, drivability, so I don’t see why longevity hasn’t improved as well.
The reason is to maximize manufacturer and dealer profits.

John61CT said:
The reason is to maximize manufacturer and dealer profits.

Maybe but they are all competing so if they want to stay in business, retain or grow their share of the market all they have to do is improve reliability and  longevity. Toyota are the largest manufacturer in the world today because their vehicles have a reputation to last long and have low maintenance compared to the rest of the options out there. That was not the case in the late sixties for Toyota so that formula seems to work. How did the rust issue ford had in the 70’s improve their profit? Their cars didn’t last that long then I don’t think a people were rushing in to buy more of them.

99% of the consumers who buy new cars don't care about reliability past years 5-6.

Most care more about brand image, bluetooth compatibility and how many cupholders.

The more used cars are still on the market the more competitive pricing has to be on new ones.

Many countries require stringent road-worthy checks specifically to get old cars off the road and support the auto industry.

Even commercial fleets turn their units over rather than fixing old models.

UPS is a notable exception, custom manufacture their own specifically designed for millions of miles.

But they actively prevent any being sold on the used market.

One Awesome Inch said:
So eventually my ex is going to sell the condo I own half of (as of July 2015) and as a result I'll likely get $50,000 - 60,000 out of it. I could buy it now and make payments but I'd rather avoid that.

I was thinking of buying a brand new Transit or Promaster (leaning towards the pm because of the larger space in the living area though in other ways I prefer the Transit ).

Last year I drove approximately 6000km or about 3800 miles. 

I'm now 46 years old and I figure by my late 80s I'll be dead or unable to drive.

40 years is a long time. It's not often you hear of someone owning the same vehicle for that long. Add to that I'm sure by then electric vehicles will dominate the market meaning gasoline may be in short supply .

Thoughts? 

Other considerations I am not thinking of?

Anything can last as long as you are willing to repair and replace worn parts. Of course rust stops for no man and meeting up with an idiot driver can render your efforts moot.  

One Awesome Inch said:
So eventually my ex is going to sell the condo I own half of (as of July 2015) and as a result I'll likely get $50,000 - 60,000 out of it. I could buy it now and make payments but I'd rather avoid that.

I was thinking of buying a brand new Transit or Promaster (leaning towards the pm because of the larger space in the living area though in other ways I prefer the Transit ).

Last year I drove approximately 6000km or about 3800 miles. 

I'm now 46 years old and I figure by my late 80s I'll be dead or unable to drive.

40 years is a long time. It's not often you hear of someone owning the same vehicle for that long. Add to that I'm sure by then electric vehicles will dominate the market meaning gasoline may be in short supply .

Thoughts? 

Other considerations I am not thinking of?
Vehicles of that age ...the chevy...will run on unleaded gas...not as well and engine life will not be as long but they can and do run on unleaded...woodsmn

I sure hope these things can last 40 years!

This is a 1977 Ford Econoline 150 Custom that I just picked up. It has 42k (miles) on the odometer, and it really does a great job tooling down the road.

Fridge is a NorCold, 2-way (no propane), and the sink and furnace work great. Pulling the commode, as my wife wants that "updated".

I am currently pulling panels down, and stuffing as much insulation behind them as I can. Windows are also going to be pulled, with new butyl tape seals.

Attachments

• Exterior.JPG
    Exterior.JPG
    1.1 MB

Latest posts