Camping out of my car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncdottie

Reaction score
With my mini van and a very nice 10x14 coleman easy up tent, camping is quite pleasant.  Actually I think I could like just nicely this way.  Anyone else doing same?

I'm going to be doing that when I go to the WRTR and RTR in January. Not sure how long it will be until I can get another van. Maybe within six months...? Anyhow, I've been watching videos about others doing it and it seems like something I could enjoy. We'll see.

when younger we were all about our tent and enjoyed it immensely. We went to a small camper cause I wanted up off the ground many many yrs later. A few monster thunderstorms made me reason I had to have dry ground or I was miserable with wet things :) and now being a lot older, the comfort of my camper is just what we require now. Hubby's back troubles kinda dictated a change in how we hit the road also but our truck and tent was a wonderful thing for us to enjoy and we loved it!

We used our tent for sleeping and living.....but I think you will use your van for sleeping and your tent as your outdoor living space and cooking etc? Your van will keep you high and dry vs. how we used our tent and got soaked and unhappy LOL

Welcome to the CRVL forums ncdottie! Sounds like you have a nice camp set up. Enjoy the cooler fall weather!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I started with a midsize station wagon and a carrier on the roof with a tent and camping gear. I survived wind storms and freezing temperatures.
I slept on a cot with blankets. I carried water and cooked on a camp stove.
It was the best experience in freedom ever.

Welcome , I believe Bob Wells did an interview with a lady that lived out of a car and used her tent to store stuff in while parked . She slept in the car though . If memory serves me right .

I'm doing the same. I have an 8x8 hatchback tent, a tent that fits of the open hatchback of my car. So the car is the bedroom and the tent is the living room / kitchen. I may at some point get a van, but this works for now.

Hi to all, but especially Wandering Biker,
Yes.  nc in ncdottie is for North Carolina Dottie.  I moved to NC 20+ years ago from a very cold Grand Island, NY (near Buffalo).  And I have loved being in this part of the country.  My goal now that I'm retired is to get out more using tent and mini-van and just enjoy this beautiful area.  Mountains, beach, and in between.  So much to see.

Hi Carla,
Yes.  I am thinking in terms of a Casita, or Scamp travel trailer.  Something light and not a lot of maintenance.  That's my ultimate dream, but for now a mini-van and a tent will have to do, although I think I'd really enjoy no put up or take down.  Just pull in and level and open the door and hit the sack.  As I age, I realize that pitching a large tent is more work than I'd like to do unless I'm going to be staying for an extended period of time.  That is, a week or more.  So, yes I do understand.  Happy camping.  Thanks for replying.  Dottie

ncdottie said:
That's my ultimate dream, but for now a mini-van and a tent will have to do, although I think I'd really enjoy no put up or take down. <snip>  As I age, I realize that pitching a large tent is more work than I'd like to do ...

Does your minivan have stowaway seats?

You could set up your minivan for mainly sleeping and tow a tiny cargo trailer (little bigger than a motorcycle trailer). That is what I considered doing, before I found out my minivan needed $2K in repairs. I liked the idea of setting up a chuckwagon type kitchen out of the little trailer and using a Clam tent for an outdoor room. Have you seen Clam tents? They are super easy to set up (screen rooms).

Well, you have your tent already. But if it gets to be too much, maybe consider a motorcycle type trailer and turn your van into a comfy room. There are also awnings with drop-down rooms that can be attached to the side of your van. Edit: strike that awning on the van thing. I remembered they looked like a pain to set up.

Latest posts