Camping on your own land, outlawed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
compassrose said:
Like I said before, my late husband's sisters & their hubbys are sitting near Ft. White. apparently anything goes there. I have found other places like that too.

As for your "rural land" comment... It depends on the area. I was born in FL in 1960. There are still places that is vacant. Unfortunately family tends to live in those places.

I spent most of the last 25 years in Florida. I'm in Florida, now. The developers are everywhere, including the Ft. White area. Towns are eager to court them and get the tax revenue. When the yuppies push in, the hippies get pushed out.

gsfish said:
Every time I hear a statement that "everyone" in a group does something one way or thinks a certain way I just turn it off. HA!!

By the way, there are lots of people living on acreage around the area around me with no problem. Many are older travel trailers that are no longer road worthy. They call them "hunting camps".

Guy

No idea where you are, Guy, but a permanent residence and a hunting camp are generally not the same thing. We used to get away with some things that were against zoning regs when we were surrounded by farms. When some of the land was sold and suburbia moved in, that didn't fly anymore.

In some rural areas that have closed knit societies, (you didn't grow up here you don't belong here), If anything evil happens in that community who will be the first person blamed? The guy living his whole life in the brick house, or the new guy living in a shed or van.
Things were just fine here till you moved in. Tell me what you did with sweet little Emmy Lou or I'll beat it out of you. The real bad guy may just be itching for someone new to come to town.
Real small towns are not for me, but then maybe I just have an imagination.

Danny you do have an imagination, a Deliverance type of imagination. highdesertranger

I don't know how to squeal like a pig. Don't want to learn either. Towns where everybody knows everybody are too small for me. I thought about retiring to TN, then read about the high crime rates on the Cumberland Plateau. I do much better in towns where everybody is from someplace else. Most of my town are retirees from other places. About 30,000 people.
I thought about having a summer lot near Flagstaff, but looking on the net seems like most of it is high dollar stuff. Maybe next summer I will be able to boondock in the area and have a look see.

gcal said:
I spent most of the last 25 years in Florida. I'm in Florida, now. The developers are everywhere, including the Ft. White area. Towns are eager to court them and get the tax revenue. When the yuppies push in, the hippies get pushed out.

You're right I'm wrong. Got it. I'll have to tell my in-laws they can't live in those RVs next time I talk to them.

I have no problem with anyone living in a camper,van,car or tent.A couple of years ago,a pair of trash moved in about 300 yds down the road from me.The camper is no problem.The mountainside covered in trash is.Offered to buy them out,but they are not ready to sell.GRRRRR.

Wherever living in a mobile rig on land you rent or own is illegal it's government criminality. You aren't commiting the crime, the local government is! We shouldn't have to, but one idea to live in those locales is to dress the van or RV up as a conventional house, a cheap plywood facade would be adequate.

Did you buy anything at the yard sale?

Attachments

• P3290003.JPG
    P3290003.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P3290004.JPG
    P3290004.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 35
I would think that if your mobile dwelling was small enough, building a roofed pole structure would be a benefit (shade, dry area to work on vehicle). Slowly closing in the pole structure one section at a time and leaving a large door in one section would make it look simply like a typical pole barn/shed. It would be easier to heat/cool your mobile dwelling. Wind would not blow all your stuff away. And when you left the barn/shed in your mobile dwelling, you could leave things like lawn chairs there with out worrying about any strong storms relocating them to the neighbours yard (or beyond). I would love to be able to slide the bus into a pole barn. I could clean and recoat the roof. Do much of my repair work out of the blazing hot sun or dripping rain. No one would know I was working on my bus because they would not see it. I could set the sections to where the ones (doors) opposite a bus window could be open or screened. To me, it's a win-win all around. If I so choose, I can put solar panels (not likely) or a solar batch water heater (more likely) on the roof. I could tuck a small guest apartment in the barn/shed for guests or income (not likely). Does mean getting a building permit. I've gotten a lot of those before. But that is why I would rather have a structure already on the property. No building permit if I just "fix a few things". NOT RENOVATE! NOT REMODEL! You need to watch your words. Just fix up a room at a time. You don't need a building permit to add a little trim moulding, fix a hole in the wall, add a door or paint. In some places you might need a permit to re-roof though. You most likely need a permit to ADD a bathroom but not to replace the toilet. If you aren't ADDING to a structure, you can usually get around a permit. I have seen people put a singlewide mobile home on a piece of land. Then put a freestanding roof over the trailer. Add a porch. Enclose the porch. Add another porch. Enclose the porch. One day the trailer gets pulled out and the space the trailer took up gets floor joists put in and finished up. No permit. My parents did that (took a couple of decades too). Lots of folks I know in rural NC did that. Keep your mouth shut, buy in small amounts, don't use the lumber yards delivery, do it over years not months. But some folks either can't or won't do that. They think it's "cheating. But what they either don't or won't understand is the permit for the trailer was already purchased with the trailer set. I prefer to get a pole barn or existing small house. Despite what the naysayers here and elsewhere say, I know what I can do. I know where I can buy. I have been looking at locations for a long time. The locations I am interested in are not places others tend to want to be. And that is the key. I just need a little money. The right place will come along at the right time.

Here's a solution that came up for one group of people. The property used to be a KOA campground. For whatever reason, the owners decided to divide and sell the land to people with travel trailers and RVs. The parcels of land used to be the campsites. Each campsite has the usual hookups: water, sewage, power. He doesn't give details because that's not the point of his video.

And I also don't think there are a lot of campground owners willing or able to do this.

You don't need to watch the entire video, just the first two minutes, where he explains how they're able to do what they're doing.