Camping in a TT in slightly below freezing weather?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do I need to worry about anything freezing if the temperature dips below freezing, like 30 degrees, while I am camping with the heat on in the camper.
Are the tanks and lines generally insulated from the cold in a travel trailer?

The tanks and lines are generally not insulated from the cold unless you have a 4 season trailer. My van is only 3 season and I have camped where it got down to 22 degrees but warmed up during the day without the water lines freezing. If it is going to be below freezing for any real length of time (more than overnight), I would turn off the water pump and drain the system by opening all valves and faucets. If for more than a 24 hour period, I would winterize the system or move to where it is warmer.

I have a 22' lite TT and the space where the pipes run is not heated nor insulated.
I haven't had an issue with pipes inside the TT, when the external water hose and filter had frozen solid.
Now I put the external hoses away, and fill the fresh water tank as needed during the few cold weeks of winter.

It does not get below zero here. 20s is the worst.

My camper has a fully insulated belly pan that will most likely keep from freezing down to about 20* if the inside heat is on.

If you don't have a belly pan, and your tanks are exposed to the elements, I wouldn't chance much under 30* with the heat on, unless you block the air by skirting.

I have a ultra light camper with no 4 season qualities. It has seen the mid 20's every year and is fine as long as it warms back up the next day. The teens start getting iffy and I leave the hot water heater on. Two nights at -8 with a 25* day in between had everything but the hot water heater frozen including my 30 gallon fresh water tank under my bed.

So 30 degrees followed by warmer temps is nothing.

Latest posts