Camper tiedowns

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NctryBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any options a guy should steer away from? Building a slide in camper... was supposed to be fix up old one and I got carried away. The original had chains  that went from camper to a bar extending out from under the truck. Also looking at the ones that pop into the stake pockets. What about just utilizing the tie downs inside the truck bed? That would need some forethought to make work... thoughts?

Is the camper going to stay ion the truck? The type of camper jack may make a difference if it isn’t.

I’m building myself a truck camper and about to connect the torklift tie downs to the truck and figure out where the turnbuckles will be located on the camper.

bullfrog said:
Is the camper going to stay ion the truck? The type of camper jack may make a difference if it isn’t.
Yes when traveling, but no when I’m back in Minnesota in the summer. The camper jacks are going to be an issue too as I have a dually. But I’m looking for tie down options. May try stake pocket mounts. My little truck had a bar underneath with extensions and chains. Never liked it... my old dually (dodge) had brackets sticking out. I have a Ford. (7.3)

It will depend on how much room you have between the camper and the bed rails and bed sides as well as where the anchor points are on the camper. When I built mine I extended the sides over the bed rails so I could put screw jack type stands into reinforced lifting points. Mine was light enough I used bed stake mounts ( I used all six) but reformed them and bolted directly to the reinforced areas on the camper the jack stands go. You can do these things when you build your own.

I like how ya think... time to do measuring... I have a rail system for my rack system. I may be able to fashion something pretty neat. Thanks... yes building your own you can do lots of things.. like not put in so much fluff... I didn’t even put in the stove. I like the versatility of my butane/lp stove. Going diesel heater saves room in several ways. Now for the tie downs/ jack lifting points... we’ll see how that goes.

Crunch time is here... my daughter is here helping me. But I’m going to hit the road from Minnesota Sunday. Might only make it to the cities for the night, then get south outta the coming cold. So I’m ending up with a sorta unique tie down/ camper jack system in the front anyways. I’ll post pics eventually. Once you see pictures you’ll likely pick me out of the crowd down there. Haha.

NctryBen said:
Any options a guy should steer away from? Building a slide in camper...
How bout load binders? The solid steel clamps truckers use to clamp down their load. I used them on a heavy equipment job and if they can hold a backhoe on a trailer, they can hold your camper down for sure.

Latest posts