Camper boat!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutball

Reaction score
THIS! I can’t afford to buy one, but this is what I’m aiming for in a bicycle camper/rowboat trailer!
https://www.ghboats.com/2016/10/voyage-to-alaska-in-a-14-whitehall/
The owner used the boat cover as a tent. I suppose a cover could be created that would allow him to sit up and cook inside. Gig Harbor make this boat as a sailboat, too. That would allow a tarp over the boom, but I don’t want anything that must be registered in CA (all sailboats over 8’). Maybe I don’t need to register a 14’ sailboat in other states? Human-powered boats of any size don’t need to be registered. Gig Harbor is coming out with a very nice 17’ row-sailor for coastal waters, but that’s just eye candy for me. I don’t play the lottery!
Anyone who has ideas about other good rowboats that can handle coastal waters, I’m all ears.

Attachments

• 88D25056-5C14-46F2-84BF-0EE7C20CE3D4.jpeg
    88D25056-5C14-46F2-84BF-0EE7C20CE3D4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
I vote for a Zodiac type inflatable. they are virtually unsinkable. highdesertranger

A few years ago I was on a motorized bicycle forum and one of the guys there had worked as a Tow Boat deck hand on the Mississippi River. Said he really didn't care for job/work but what made it bearable for him was the variety of small boats and eccentric people he got to meet while his Tow Boat awaited it's turn to go thru the Locks.

I remember his speaking of a rather old man who had a boat rig like you are showing in the photo and the man called himself a "River Rat". He would ride downstream from the headwaters to New Orleans each fall and winter over until mid early summer when it started to warm up. Put his boat on a truck that would ship it back north and he would ride the Greyhound back. And that was his life living next to nature on the river. (I thought it would be fun to ride the Greyhound with him a ways just to listen to his stories as he returned home)

He told me the old fellow had what looked like a pup tent set up on the front, a folding bicycle on the starboard mid ship, and a 9.9 hp outboard that he could use to maneuver with. But the irony of his minimalism, isolation, and never having to worry about where he would camp or sleep left him in awe of the old fellow. About all he needed was a little food, water, ice, etc which he could fetch on his bike.

I'd say it would be perfect for the loner who knows his/her way around the water. And I'm sure there are "groups" that follow this lifestyle too.

Teardrops and tiny trailers has some neat inexpensive boats built out of foam but you have to search for them. I could picture a foam pontoon that folded to become narrow and a couple of folding or hinged solar cells for a roof pulled by an electric bicycle and the same bicycle could run a small set of paddle wheels on the water. Drape a cover over it at night to make a tent. You could probably use an Ultraskiff round boat if you are less than 6’ and use the bicycle to turn a prop. A round screen tent could mount to outriggers as well to enclose it at night. Ultra skiffs can be carried on a rear trailer hitch rack and are fairly light weight so a bike trailer should be easy.

good inflatables have multiple air chambers any one of them can float the boat and it's payload. mine has 5 chambers. you would have to try real hard to sink them. highdesertranger

Indiginous natives launching arrows from the bank of the Amazon river deep in the rain forests of Brazil...

I didn't know we were in the amazon (other than amazon for online buying and delivery). Bullets could do the same thing but not a common occurrence or anything I would lose any sleep over.

I would think the biggest problem with an inflatable would be other bigger boats and keeping contents in the boat and dry. Most of the ones here stay close to shore due to their generally slower speeds and rough rides due to huge wakes from cabin cruisers and wake boats.

never had that problem of staying dry. I did in a canoe or kayak but not an inflatable. mind you I am not talking those cheap inflatables you buy at places like Walmart. highdesertranger

You might be interested  in buying or loaning this great book about an Aussie who sails around the world in this 12ft boat. Its on display here in Queensland's Maritime Museum.

s-l640.jpg

What weight are you aiming for with the boat without trailer?

How much weight for the trailer?

Is the bicycle part of the equation for economy or an ecological minimalist purpose?

What use for the boat? Weekender in sheltered waters or extended cruising...

I just picked up a Catalina 22 project boat and find that the larger my cruising plans become the smaller the boat gets.

Guy

As skyl4rk says, the Gorfnik would be worth considering.

Gorfnik is an excellent solo traveller, very well designed, relatively easy and inexpensive to build and maintain, and offering full weather and bug protection when battened down.

I've yet to see a similar sized craft that can compare with what Gorfnik offers her Captain.