Cameras/ Photography

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote="Wayne On The Road"
Gear is secondary to your drive and ambition to learn. Keep those going until you NEED better gear to move to the next level. It's been said here that many people drop thousands on "the best" gear at the time but still can't take a good photo and this is very true. I've had many glorious comments on my work but wake up everyday knowing that I have yet to take my best photo. Therefore I'm always learning, always experimenting.

[quote="yugogypsy1963"
Okay, everybody who has top end cameras, here's a little story for you. Back in the day. I carried a Kodak 110 in my glove box--
Well that little camera served me VERY well right up until I couldn't get film for it any more. I took some of the BEST picture I've ever taken with that little thing.

[quote="Fivealive"
The best way to take better photos is to look for good light not for good scenes. A boring scene with good light will produce a better image then a great scene that is poorly lit. Light is king, and it is the most important factor, look for the light first, then find the best scene within the light.

A very good friend of mine carried a camera while stationed in Alaska, Germany, and France during WWII and though it wasn't top of the line and was exposed to war, the camera collected images that simply are astounding. He had an eye for his hobby and most of his images would draw me into the scene so deep that I'd lose track of time.

[ATTACH=full said:
20980[/ATTACH] ]Photography is my main hobby and has been for a long time. I owned Minolta Film SLR cameras for years and now shoot with a Sony Digital DSLR. While I've taken hundreds of thousands of pictures, I have been very lucky and have few hundred I think are very good...... Bob

Hey Bob,I also shoot with Sony cameras. I just purchased a Sony a7iii and am really getting some excellent images. I just spent 2 months on the East coast shooting Osprey on the Connecticut river. I drove my class C out there in June and am currently in Baltimore. Im in my first year of being a fulltime boondocker and am about to start heading back west towards San Diego. So do you post your photography online anywhere? I would like to check out your work. I'm in the process of moving all my photos to my Flickr account. I attended the RTR earlier this year and really enjoyed myself. thank you. I will be going to the next one too. If your interested in doing a photoshoot together let me know

Attachments

• DSC03880.jpg
    DSC03880.jpg
    1.2 MB
I'd go dSLR. The auto"magic" modes are as easy to use as any point-n-shoot, and you have the ability to expand into the more manual modes as you progress. As for the gear itself, though I've moved on from my F5, ETRSi, and other really great film gear (still have it, just don't use it so much anymore), my full frame and higher-end APS-C cameras sometimes get left behind for my old XSi, an old 12.2mp Rebel my wife bought me over 10 years ago. It won't hold a candle to my 80d, but it's still pretty good, and really handy when I'm doing something that might be risky for the camera.
It's served well over the years, and isn't worth much money anymore, so if it takes a powder, I'm not out as much.

Phones and point-n-shoots can take some very lovely photos, but in the end the "art" isn't so much yours. It's when you learn how to creatively use the camera's settings that your own style can come out and play. Don't forget composition, too... which you can practice with anything from a high end medium format to looking through your fingers director-style.

Attachments

• 22632775297_b9939c69bb_k.jpg
    22632775297_b9939c69bb_k.jpg
    747.4 KB