cabin cruiser for RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read posts on various sites by people who trailer a boat and live on it on the trailer. The idea being, if things on land get too out of control, they can head out to sea.

I've considered that so I'd have the best of both worlds, but a CC on land is a bit more confining than I want, and towing it to some of the forest campgrounds may be iffy...

A boat is much more restricted where it can go when it is in the water. You will eventually have to deal with marinas and their rules. Boats can be had real cheap, especially if they need engine work. The two examples I found today are $1,500 with a trailer. So the cost is buy the trailer, get the boat for free. Boats are usually a bit heavy as the fiberglass is thick, but that also makes them quite durable. The down side is they don't have a lot of interior space because the bow usually comes to a point. The upper deck of a cabin cruiser gives one a nice covered patio. A house boat would be pretty much square. One of my old neighbors had an aluminum Chris Craft. it was about 26'. He was quite comfortable in it. It would probably be light enough to tow easy. I had a 46' double cabin cruiser, (too big for an RV, and later a 30' sail boat). When the census people came through we were classified as financially advantaged homeless people.
I suppose if you pulled the motor, you could put a door into the transom and not need a ladder to get in.

Just a thought at this point.

I live on the Oregon coastline, and there's a guy just out of town who live in a 38' cabin cruiser that's parked on land he owns next to his shop. It was old and didn't run, so he got it for darn near nuthin'.
He built a small set of stairs from the ground up to the swim platform and cut a entryway right through the rear transom. It's pretty slick!

I'm not sure, but I do think he took the 2 engines out, and put a chest freezer in the one engine bay, and uses the other bay for stowage.

I should go get some pics of it.

I saw this on tv, years ago.  The old Simon and Simon show.  In the first season or two, Rick was living in a boat on a trailer parked in his brother AJ's driveway.  The engine was dead and he was supposedly fixing it.

Regards
John

Me and Vic seriously thought about selling everything we own and buying a 30 ft or so sailboat a few years back.We were planning on staying in the gulf with an occasional trip to Cuba,Bahamas,etc.Who knows?It may still happen.Or not.

I sure did enjoy the 5 years I had m sailboat in the Gulf. Never made it to Cuba, but heard good reports from those who visited the south bay.

I could see trailering from lake to lake across the country.

bindi&us said:
I could see trailering from lake to lake across the country.

I'd do that in a heartbeat but as a single, launching the boat is problematic as well as some of the exterior upkeep!

I've always wanted to do the trip from the Great Lakes through the Ohio and Tennessee river systems to the Tombigbee.

Launching alone isn't hard when you learn a few little tricks. Caring for the exterior is easy on a trailer too. You can also do a bottom scrub in shallow water.

bindi&us said:
Launching alone isn't hard when you learn a few little tricks. Caring for the exterior is easy on a trailer too. You can also do a bottom scrub in shallow water.

Ha, obviously I've been watching people who do it the hard way... :D

You're putting ideas in to my mind now you know...very dangerous thing to do these days.... :rolleyes:

My idea was not to go cruising the 7 seas, but to use a cabin cruiser as a land yacht so to speak. Power boats tend to have more room than a sail boat per given length. And there is no keel to take off. A 21' er would have more room than most vans.
Something like this could be fixed up on a budget. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/5240271614.html sell the motor, put a canopy over the back end for a porch.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I saw this on tv, years ago.  The old Simon and Simon show.  In the first season or two, Rick was living in a boat on a trailer parked in his brother AJ's driveway.  The engine was dead and he was supposedly fixing it.

Regards
John

That was a great series.   Haven't seen it on reruns, have you?   

Remember the old Dodge Power Wagon?

1973-4ish I stayed on a Corpus Christi T-head, me in my van, friends on a small cabin boat with no engine. Lots of stories in that year.

we had the best TV shows back in the 70's and 80's simon and simon, hunter, fall guy, Emergency, 240 roberts, riptide, i could go on.
ohh chips.

Jim_Rockford said:
we had the best TV shows back in the 70's and 80's  simon and simon, hunter, fall guy, Emergency, 240 roberts, riptide, i could go on.
ohh chips.

Mod Squad & Baretta! (sp?)
:)

Latest posts