By Day, a Sunny Smile for Disney Visitors. By Night, an Uneasy Sleep in a Car.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I live close to mouse land. I know several people that work there. the people I know like to work there and a lot of people I know want to work there. everyone I know that works there or wants to work there cite the benefits and I am not talking about tickets, I am talking medical, dental and retirement. every one I know that works there went from minimum to higher wages pretty quick, you get your first raise in 3 months and then every 6 months after that. any of your skilled trades make 50 bucks a hour and up. they are also very good about working around school schedules, in fact I know a lot of people you went to work there for that very reason and stayed on after graduating.

yes it is expensive to live here, 1,600 for a small one bedroom apartment in the bad part of town, 3.50 for a gallon of gas, 2.50 for a doz eggs, hundreds of dollars to register even older junker cars, insurance through the roof, it goes on and on. nothing is cheap in California, but that's not Disney's fault. that article is a hit piece IMO. highdesertranger

I see it as social commentary, sure Disney makes for a great target, but just as an example of the new normal for most workers in America.

Shouldn't even temporary unskilled workers make a dignified living wage from day one in the richest country in the world?

Can you define what a dignified livening wage is, and how is it different today in the US vs in the 60’s?

Unskilled workers are a potential liability. They need to prove their value to a employer before they earn prevailing wage. 

Why should any company pay top wages to someone who makes costly errors because they do not have the skills needed?