Buying vehicle with 200k+ miles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reducto said:
In any case, like I said, if you like troubleshooting weird stuff like that then go ahead and get something 25 years old with 200k+ miles :)

Yes, I know what you're talking about. My van has so much stuff added to the electrical system, and most of it looking like it was done by someone who had no idea what they were doing. I've already pulled out one black box and associated wires, there's another that says Fleet something on it, there are extra horns, one under the hood and another under the rear bumper (a back up horn maybe?), there are many wires that have been cut and never repaired. When I'm driving I sometimes have the instrument lights go out, this is in the daytime, which kills the clock, the transmission gear selector display, the radio display, and I don't know what else. I've realized that whatever is controlling it is thinking the headlights are on so it has just dimmed everything to the point where none of it can't be seen in sunlight. I actually like troubleshooting, but there must be an end to it somewhere, the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak...

Something I started doing years ago with my car (I am van shopping now) is that I take it to the dealer for oil changes. I'm sure this varies, but my local dealer charges $28 for an oil change, but they also go over the vehicle and check for other issues (in the hopes that they can repair them, of course). Then they tell me what's wrong. I let them fix the complicated stuff if any, and I do the rest myself, having had it diagnosed without having to pay $60 an hour. They also catch stuff early. They found a small transmission fluid leak and fixed it before it became a problem.

My last appointment they wanted over $900 for what was wrong (Brakes and rotors, transmission leak, air filter, cabin air filter, etc.) I paid for the transmission leak and fixed the rest myself.

my rig has 195k 2001 E350 diesel driving to Chicago from SF in a few days taking my son to college paid 3500 and another 3000 for injectors/glowplugs. good for another 150k I hope.

5 years ago I purchased a Ford Aerostar cargo van for $300.00 that I found on Craigslist. The owner told me that the timing chain had stretched and jumped out of time. My buddy put in a new double roller timing chain for $200.00. The vehicle had 202,000 miles on it when I bought it.

Jump ahead 5 years and that same van is still running just as good as after the repair. The A/C still blows cold with the original R12 refrigerant in it. The van now has 320,000 miles and still doesn't use oil between oil changes.

The Ford 3.0 Vulcan motor is a cast iron block with cast iron heads. The Cummins 4BT diesel it also a cast iron block with cast iron heads. There is something about cast iron that makes for a durable engine.

I would under certain circumstances I bought a 2001 Ford E350 hightop 7.3 powerstroke for 3600 with 195k on the clock knew it would need injectors every 150k or so 3000 dollar job, good to go

I'm new to this site and glad to have found it and I think I may be ab le to add something to this conversation. I have been living and traveling in a 1975 Ford E-100 for three years now and this year as she reaches 40 yrs old I am pretty sure she also has clocked over 300,000 miles(odometer stopped working at 245,000...well 45,000 for the third time.). I think this question you have asked has too many factors to really give on yes or no type answer. Rather I wouls look at it from a more personal point of view.

Ask yourself these questions:

-Do you know vehicles(how to fix, what to look for etc.)?
-Do you like working on your own car/truck/van?
-Do you have all the tools? Place to work?

If you say no to any of those, you're gonna hate a high milage vehicle. Also I heard mention of older vehicles, as someone who never takes their rig to the shop I don't usually like to get anything newer than the late 70's. Also you want to know little things for instance I have a 3-speed C6 transmissionin my van, generally regarded as one of the most reliable transmissions of all time. The later 80's model Econolines have 4-speed transmissions that in their day did not recieve the same reputation for reliability and are also more expensive to fix when they do go out. Buying a high milage vehicle that is known to have a reliabe drivetrain is important, I mean I would take a ford, chevy, dodge etc with 200,000 miles over a Yugo with 20 mimles on it. Basically do your own research for what would work good for you. Also look for rigs with rebuilt major components, my engine and transmission were both rebuilt at some point in the past, just try to get the info on where the work was done. If uncle Jimmy did in the backyard you might want to find another vehicle, but then again sometimes uncle Jimmy does a fine job. If you can, take a mechanic with you to look at vehicles that have had that much work done.

And FYI in 50,000 miles my 300,000 mile van has only nickel and dimed me out of a few hundred dollars. A few brake pads, a wheel cylinder, master cylinder, a solenoid, starter, carb rebuild, windsheld wipers and of course many oil changes. Not really that bad since I enjoy the work and it doesn't cost much. Need to get a few things at the junkyard but haven't gotten around to it, little stuff like door handles and a wiper switch($36 at O'reily no thanks).

Forgot to mention the best part...I got my van for FREE! Old worn out "junk" can be a great deal if you know what you are looking at. Sometimes an owner will recognize that you are able and willing to take on their "baby" and since they want YOU to have it the price can plummet, usually this is with a much older and more centimantal vehicle than say a 97 Astro with 230,000 miles all put on by the plumbing company down the street. My van came form the original owner who bought it in 1975 and she wanted it to be loved and driven. A couple years later I have taken it all over the west coast, Pacific Coast Highway, golden gate bridge, redwoods etc. I think I did her justice.