Buying my first RV... Gulf Stream Diesel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusiB

Reaction score
I am read up and ready to buy...  But I've never owned an RV before, therefore reading can only take me so far.

I have found what I think may be a good deal, and I am hoping that the collective experience and knowledge of the group can steer me to or from this vehicle.

I found a 1993 Diesel Pusher Motorhome, ~96K miles, that still seems to be in good shape. It is in my price range and they have not been able to sell it (I'm assuming because it has been turned into a rolling office). I like the changes and they are willing to add the kitchen table back in and bookshelves to make me "happy". The previous owner added solar, W/D, CB radio and back-up camera...  And it's right at the cut-off of 29' long. 

So, anyone know any nightmare stories of a 90's GULF STREAM SUN VOYAGER diesel motorhome that should dissuade me from buying?

Gulf Stream RVs were in the upper crust of RVs in their day. The only word of caution is that it is a diesel. For that type of motor anything under 100k miles is low! But, you should take this RV to an experienced diesel mechanic and have it thoroughly inspected and checked out. Diesel repairs are very expensive and if the engine had any problem you want to know that before you purchase it.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm...nearly 30 years old. Any RV that old will have issues. 

The main problem with any of the older diesels is that they were not engineered for the current ULSD blend of pump diesel.

On the other hand, little or zero emissions junk to worry about.

I'd offer half what they are asking and let them get mad...stew in their juices, and then I'd call them back in 2 weeks and ask if they might have a counter offer.

You should be prepared to play hardball.

I wouldn’t buy any vehicle without somebody checking it out who is much more knowledgeable than I am. Especially one that old. I got lucky with my conversion van which is a 98. But lucky covers only a small percentage a vehicle sales. Welcome to the farm and good luck to you.

Getting it checked over by a good diesel mechanic is great advice. I hope it checks out perfectly for you....sounds like it could be a great home.

Thank you all for your replies.

Engine just got replaced. They have the paper work on it.
Being sold through a resale dealer.
Read a lot of online advice, butt... It's the first one that "feels good"? LOTS of storage, and not just a rolling "motel room that sleeps 8"!
NADA said the average price in my zip is 11,700 and they are over that.
Since they have their own mechanics, is it silly of me to "ass"ume that they have checked out the engine?
Is having the CB radio of value anymore?

Deep breath... Gotta buy something. Yes/No/Yes/No. Gah!

LOL Thanks!

Don't buy anything like this while under 'pressure'...it could be a big mistake you will regret.

And the CB might have some value...but very minimal. $50 or maybe $100-$200 if its a good quality unit. Which I doubt.

A diesel engine replaced at 96k, that makes no sense whatsoever. I call that a red flag. Highdesertranger

Check out the roof for damage or leaks.  Check the ceiling for any signs of leaks or water.spots.  Look at the skin to see if it shows any signs of delamination or buckling by looking down the sides.  Look under windows for signs of water damage.  Check the fridge works.  Check the generator works.  Have them do a current propane gas system leak check.  Put water in the fresh water tank and make sure the water pump works and there are no leaks in the water system.  Run the furnace and air conditioners.

You should have a good idea of the condition of the rv after all that.

Oh, also verify the date on the tires.  Tires need to be replaced every 10 years independent of mileage, so don't just look at the tread.  On my first class C I thought the date said 2008, which meant they were due to be replaced even though they had tread

Whenit was taken to a tire shop by a potential purchaser, the date was actually 1998, and the cost of replacement ASAP put that buyer off.

New tires for a Class A are over $1K.

highdesertranger said:
A diesel engine replaced at 96k, that makes no sense whatsoever. I call that a red flag. Highdesertranger

I agree as diesels are barely broken in at that mileage, but all the rubber would be rotten at that age. Maybe they replaced it to quickly resell (mechanic scored)?

EVen though they've had their own mechanic, I'd still have it checked over by a reputable diesel mechanic. What do they say about the engine being replaced? What was the reason?

Yes it’s silly to trust them. You need your own mechanic to go over it very well. Also join the Facebook group for Gulf Stream and see what they say.

Weird the engine has been replaced…. Did you ask about it? Also don’t pay that much!

Shadow moss gave some excellent guidance for you. This RV could turn out to be the deal of the century, or the worst nightmare you ever had. You need to find someone with more experience than you, and PAY THEM to do a survey of the unit. Test all the systems and tell you what works and what doesn’t.

The engine being replaced at 100k is not a good sign, as you know nothing of the replacement. Although my Motorhome is made from a commercial vehicle it has 980,000 miles and the engine is tight and dry, and probably not too different than the one in your RV, except maybe bigger.

Get some help; enjoy the purchasing experience; increase your knowledge as you go through the process.

Good luck and remember there’s a vehicle out there somewhere that’s just right for you.

If a seller discourage me from bringing my own mechanic - I’m gone, Red flags everywhere. It’s really believe it’s in good shape according to their mechanic they’ll let your mechanic go over it also.

kklowell said:
EVen though they've had their own mechanic, I'd still have it checked over by a reputable diesel mechanic. What do they say about the engine being replaced? What was the reason?
I "ass"umed that it was age. It is almost 30 yrs old. 
What is making me uncomfortable about buying ANY used RV is that a resale-consignment is going to say whatever they have to to sell it, as will a private owner. At least the resale shop has a little skin in the game by selling a "good" product. Plus, this is a HOPPING joint. That, to me, is a good sign. Thank you.

shadowmoss said:
Check out the roof for damage or leaks.  Check the ceiling for any signs of leaks or water.spots.  Look at the skin to see if it shows any signs of delamination or buckling by looking down the sides.  Look under windows for signs of water damage.  Check the fridge works.  Check the generator works.  Have them do a current propane gas system leak check.  Put water in the fresh water tank and make sure the water pump works and there are no leaks in the water system.  Run the furnace and air conditioners.

You should have a good idea of the condition of the rv after all that.
Thank you for your input. I had found a site called Campergrid and they gave some detailed (repetitive) questions/items to ask-look for. I've already learned from it. I looked at one today that had the "hilly" side panels. Nope. Thanks again!

thegoodtom1 said:
I agree as diesels are barely broken in at that mileage, but all the rubber would be rotten at that age.  Maybe they replaced it to quickly resell (mechanic scored)?
I "ass"umed that the odometer has rolled over and the numbers have begun again. If so, then wouldn't engine replacement be a good thing? If I go back, I see a long list of questions/requests ahead of me!   :D

SusiB said:
I am read up and ready to buy...  But I've never owned an RV before, therefore reading can only take me so far.

I have found what I think may be a good deal, and I am hoping that the collective experience and knowledge of the group can steer me to or from this vehicle.

I found a 1993 Diesel Pusher Motorhome, ~96K miles, that still seems to be in good shape. It is in my price range and they have not been able to sell it (I'm assuming because it has been turned into a rolling office). I like the changes and they are willing to add the kitchen table back in and bookshelves to make me "happy". The previous owner added solar, W/D, CB radio and back-up camera...  And it's right at the cut-off of 29' long. 

So, anyone know any nightmare stories of a 90's GULF STREAM SUN VOYAGER diesel motorhome that should dissuade me from buying?
And it pays to have a son-in-law with a diesel mechanic as a best friend. His friend read the online ad, and said NO. The new engine was a no-name , under powered, poor performer that no one knows how to work on. Great!  Thanks! Nothing like knowledge to make quick work of a big decision!  Thank you all for your input. See you down the road!  SOON, I hope!   :D