Buy a weather radio!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
For those in the planning stage, a weather radio should be at or near the top of your list.

Here I am, supposed to leave tomorrow, and there is spotty Internet and thundershowers. Can’t get updates on my weather apps.

Thankfully, I bought a simple, small weather radio and I can get a reliable weather forecast.

Now, do I risk driving through some thundershowers or wait it out another day?

From my experience, thunderstorms usually pass over very quickly, so all you need is to find some moderate shelter for a little while. Or just pull over to the side of the road out of the traffic. If it's hail, then you can try to find a big tree or go under an overpass. If there's lightning, then best to stay away from the big trees. Plus, you can usually see the damn things coming for miles.

Tornadoes are something else again, but anymore I'd bet they are announced over all of the radio channels in the local region.

waldenbound said:
For those in the planning stage, a weather radio should be at or near the top of your list.
Here I am, supposed to leave tomorrow, and there is spotty Internet and thundershowers. Can’t get updates on my weather apps . . .

A weather radio is a good backup but I have found that with my cell booster I can get NOAA weather alerts with my cell anywhere I can get a weather radio signal.  The advantage is the cellphone app determines my location by GPS and only gives warnings and watches for the area I am in.  My weather radio (an Accurite) needs to be programed for the area I am in or I get warnings for the whole area of coverage of the radio station, a big PIA if you are mobile.

A big advantage of using the cell app is that I can usually get enough signal to call up weather radar and track the storm.

I can also get weather information on my inReach satellite communicator where I cannot get cell or radio signal but there is a cost involved.

gsfish said:
I'm so old that I can remember when the weather broadcasts changed to a synthesized voice from the organic announcer.

lol....I remember when they started out in the late 70's and early 80's on 162 mhz with only 3 channels

Many years ago, they went to 'Stephen Hawking does weather'.

Sure do miss the regional dialects as I travel...

I dealt with this issue by spending my time in places that don't have sudden unexpected weather changes.

MrNoodly said:
I dealt with this issue by spending my time in places that don't have sudden unexpected weather changes.

How did you get to the moon? I guess they have wifi there now....

:huh: