Butyl tape question:

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twebster

Reaction score
I'm replacing a window in my high top & its raining pretty hard today, does that matter or should I wait until its dry? Thanks!

Personally, I'd wait until it's not raining.

Once you get that window out you'll need some time to clean up the frame from the old butyl tape, both on the high top and on the window!

I had one window done at an RV shop and it took the two techs an hour to clean up all the old tape and get the window back in the opening.

Not something I'd want to do on a rainy day!

It doesnt stick well in rain and also when its cold.its the same stuff used for duct and ive had to use a propane torch on the ductwork to get it to stick.

Twebster said:
Just so you know, I have replaced the window!

Now that you replaced the window arent ya glad you waited for the rain to stop ?

reminds me of fixing roofs -

When it's raining you shouldn't try to fix it

When it's not raining you don't need to fix it

I did fix it, however while cleaning up the window the 2 plastic plug things(the other side has the plugs but they must not have been in the sun as much because the didn't fall apart) fell apart so the darn thing was leaking a little but I can't have that so I tried to figure out a way to plug the holes. I know I won't find replacement parts because the windows are obsolete so I shoved some paraffin wax in the holes! I know that its going to melt when the sun hits it so I've decided to buy an eraser then cut it to fit! That should do the trick! For the life of me don't know why the darn holes are even there!

If you can fill them with wax, you should be able to do the same with epoxy putty.

The wax did not work! I used some spray foam insulation & that seemed to slow it way down. I applied more lap sealant today in hopes that it will do the trick. I need it to be water tight so that I can finish my build enough to get out of here in time for the RTR in January.

boy I wish you wouldn't have used that spray foam. what plastic plugs are you referring to? got a pic? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
boy I wish you wouldn't have used that spray foam.  what plastic plugs are you referring to?  got a pic?  highdesertranger

If I could figure out how to post a darn picture(mine are too big) I'd take one & share it! Any tips?

there's a tutorial in the "tips and tricks" for pics. the easiest way is to set you camera for a lower resolution. if you already have the pic you need to resize it, several ways to do that. if you can't figure it out start a thread with your problem and state what camera and system you are using. highdesertranger