"Butterflies" is an understatement!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queen said:
I hear you, I'm in Illinois, soon to be in FL, and after that roaming where there is no winter!

Hey Queen, where in Florida are you landing? We went from NE Oklahoma to Fort Walton Beach, FL. Good luck with your move.

bpdchief said:
Hey Queen, where in Florida are you landing? We went from NE Oklahoma to Fort Walton Beach, FL. Good luck with your move.

We have a condo in New Smyrna (just south of Daytona), it's getting sold asap so we can get a traveling rig!

Check out my new baby!!!! I pick her up in a couple weeks! She needs a little work, but it's mostly cosmetic. I'm pretty excited. It's just what I wanted. :)

8a944a2b2b9a52268d1f794457749759.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent! Let's hear the details, what is it, year, configuration, etc!!

FibroWarrior said:
Check out my new baby!!!! I pick her up in a couple weeks! She needs a little work, but it's mostly cosmetic. I'm pretty excited. It's just what I wanted. :)

Congrats Warrior!  Excited for you!

FibroWarrior said:
Hello gorgeous people!

I am freaking out a little! I just clicked the "buy it now" button on an RV.
My story: I'm married, live in Nebraska, and have a chronic pain disease, fibromyalgia, as well as a couple other health issues. Spring and summer aren't completely pleasant for me in Nebraska, but fall and winter are unbearable.

I've been watching Bob's videos and a few others for awhile, and a couple weeks ago I finally broached the subject of becoming an early "snow bird" to my husband. He knows how much I suffer, and he actually agreed with me. I lived in Phoenix when I was 8, and remember (even then) feeling better.
So, I used my backpay I've been saving from my disability case and bought a Class B+. Yes, I want simplicity, but I also need comfort, hence my vehicle choice.

The only thing I need now is the approval of 1 of the kitties I want to bring with me. lol He's honestly the biggest scaredy cat kitty I've ever heard of. I just hope he embraces the winter change.

I won't be joining camp until a little later because my sister's getting married in November.....IN WISCONSIN. [emoji24] I will for damn sure be ready for Arizona after that.

So, hello! I feel like I know a couple of you already just from Bob's videos! I look forward to sharing this awesome journey with you all. [emoji177][emoji178][emoji177]

Hope to meet you, I am also suffering from what could be fibro. I have not been able to get all the tests due to poor or no insurance. See you in AZ!

Looks very nice.

Wisconsin is really a great state, land of Milk and Honey, as they say. November isn't too bad for cold.

Queen said:
Excellent! Let's hear the details, what is it, year, configuration, etc!!

Hehehe!! It's a 1996 CHINOOK (!) Concourse. E-350 Ford chassis with almost 70,000 miles! [emoji177][emoji178][emoji177]
It's 21', has a nice large wet bath, larger fridge (that might need some tweaking), a jackknife sofa and dinette. Simon (my cat) and I can't wait to explore her!

Kflan61 said:
Hope to meet you, I am also suffering from what could be fibro. I have not been able to get all the tests due to poor or no insurance. See you in AZ!

I'm really sorry to hear you may have fibro. If you can get in to a doctor, I would (personally) ask to try gabapentin to see if it helps at all. It's not a pain killer but helps your nervous system (it's a seizure medication), and it really just helps take the edge off of your pain. A diagnosis really isn't worth a whole lot because there's nothing doctors can really do but throw useless drugs at you. So I would atleast ask if they can prescribe the gabapentin.
I hope to meet you too! Where are you planning to be?

UptownSport said:
Looks very nice.

Wisconsin is really a great state, land of Milk and Honey, as they say. November isn't too bad for cold.

Thank you!

I've been to Wisconsin twice, and I agree, it's quite nice. :) Especially the cheese! I am very relieved the wedding will be at the beginning of the month. I thought about sticking around here in Nebraska until after Thanksgiving, but my feet are getting really itchy!

FibroWarrior said:
Thank you so much. I really needed the encouragement. <3

Often when one door shuts a much better one will open. Best wishes to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maggie Flinn said:
Often when one door shuts a much better one will open. Best wishes to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true! :D

DLTooley said:
When the water tank freezes solid it is time to head south.

Yes lol ....this has definitely been a consideration. I've got a few things to work on. I'm hoping I'm looking at simple fixes. Anything minor can wait til I'm in the desert.

Very nice ride! I'm very happy for you. My first deal fell through too, but the one I ended up with is very sound and that was important to me. I will also be traveling with my little Bella, who is very skittish. It will be important for me that she be secure and comfortable too!  Good luck, see you in the road!

Sleep said:
Very nice ride! I'm very happy for you. My first deal fell through too, but the one I ended up with is very sound and that was important to me. I will also be traveling with my little Bella, who is very skittish. It will be important for me that she be secure and comfortable too!  Good luck, see you in the road!

Oh yay!! Sort of parallel stories!! Are you heading to Arizona or...just anywhere? I'll look to see if you have posts or pictures of your rig!! I'm just about to post an update on my "still-at-home" journey. lol

RV update!
I've been working on my RV when my body lets me (with the help of my husband). It sat for awhile and was even lived in before that, so it has needed quite a bit of work. I knew the engine was good and solid, so I was more than ok with that. It's given me a chance to get to know her. [emoji177] (Her name is officially Tina.)
+First-things-first was the generator. It wouldn't stay running and then the starter wouldn't even engage. The last mechanic who worked on it (genius) welded an exhaust pipe DIRECTLY to the bottom of it, making it impossible to remove the generator from the compartment to even look at it! lol smh So hubby had to saw it off. The starter had busted. Hubby replaced it along with the air filter and oil filter. He took the muffler off and to work with him. He welded a THREADED piece of pipe onto it so we wouldn't have removal problems in the future. BUT AS OF YESTERDAY, IT WORKS!! [emoji322][emoji322]
+The toilet. Sigh. It leaked when you'd flush it (not the end of the world as it's part of a wet bath.) I removed it, replaced the seals, assembled it back together, only to find it still leaked. I took it back apart and discovered the porcelain has cracked. Soooo, I ordered a new toilet that I swore was a 4-bolt flange....NOPE. 2-bolt. Sigh. So now I'm just waiting for an adaptor to arrive, and all should be well.
+Water pump. Yes, the water pump went out. I got an AMAZING replacement and should never have a problem with water pressure. As a female (and one with thick hair), I had to have the best. I removed the old one yesterday, and got the new one mostly installed. There's a small issue of needing to extend part of the pipe to reach one end. (You'd have to be there.)
+Day/night shades. Only one side had the day/night shades. It's too bad. They were really nice. The side without them, the window had been broken in the past and it had damaged the shades that were once there. I went through miles of my vintage fabric collection, and created curtains backed with blackout fabric hung by meticulously crafted curtain rods. (You had to be there.) They turned out "ok." I'm not sure I'm done with that project.
+Compartment door latches. Some of the old ones became brittle and just needed replaced.
+Side-view mirror. The passenger side-view mirror had give in it and would swivel in towards the door with wind resistance and bumps in the road. TERRIFYING!!!! It was a fairly simple fix with the help of my husband. I found out almost immediately-it's a 2-person job. (You had to be there.)
+Had 2 unfortunate discoveries of boiling batteries. (You wouldn't be wanted to be there.) Being that I'm allergic to sulfur, I was extremely blessed.
+Carbon monoxide detector. Found it was disconnected. lol Simple enough fix.
Replaced fire extinguisher.
+New spare tire cover. If anyone knows where I can get a large Tina Belcher decal, omg tell me.
+Interior thoroughly cleaned. Cushions laundered.
+Replaced cabinet hinges.
+Fantastic fan motor went out in front fan. Replacement motor is in the mail. Wanted to buy a new fan altogether with lower amperage, but it made more sense to just replace the motor for now. ($30 vs. $139 and less labor and maneuvering around the t.v.- You had to be there.)
+I looked into replacing the 26" T.v. With a DC t.v., but discovered the 26" takes less wattage than the DC, and the awesome previous owner included an inverter, so I'm keeping it!
+I draped the interior with twinkle lights that run on AA batteries. Gorgeous ambiance.
+The Chinooks came with 50 watts of solar (even in 1996!), but I have a Renogy 200 watt solar kit on the way, including an MPPT charge controller.
It seems like there's a lot left to do, but based on where we started, it's nearly finished!
+Oh, there seems to be a small problem with the fridge, but that's the least of my concerns for now.
My kitty has spent some time with me in it, and seems to enjoy it, but only for short stints thus far. He has his own area with a litter box. He enjoys exploring all the tight nooks and crannies.
The colder it gets, the harder it is to get out there and work on it. I recently had to reduce the only medicine that was giving me any pain relief (a seizure medicine, not even a pain narcotic.) How have I been doing? Sooooo not well. I'm at a point I NEED to be finished and out of here to get any relief, or I will be completely bedridden the entire winter. It's actually scaring the crap out of me. Please forward your thoughts and/or prayers for a speedy finish and a swift, safe trip south. THANK YOU. [emoji1374]