Butane availability

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
I have propane stove I started nomading with and a butane stove that was given to me along the way. I like using the butane stove because it sets up easier, it self-lights and the temperature control is better. 

I stocked up with butane a while back and now I'm on my last can. Never had trouble getting more at Walmart. Well, there are three and a half Walmarts in Yuma and none of them have butane. There are empty spots on the shelves next to the butane stoves. Well darn. Either they're sold out, or they're not stocking them because butane works poorly in chilly/cold weather. So it's back to the propane stove for now.

I spent a winter in Texas with a Canadian whose sub-mission became finding butane for her campstove.  Butane is apparently the favorite fuel there.  She had propane also, but wasn’t happy about it.  I’ve kind of kept my eye out for it since then, and have only seen it at the start of the camping season.  I only have looked in WM, hardware stores and RV supply stores.  A camp store might order a carton for you?  Good luck and keep on stocking up...

I checked into ordering it online and picking it up at Walmart, but they don't offer in-store pickup for butane. It has to be shipped directly. Well, except they won't ship to my mail forwarding address either.

The Targets in my area have a good supply of Butane.

Butane seems to go in and out of style at the big boxes.  I have switched to propane, but used to get butane at restaurant supply stores (Ace is one).  It ran between $1.25 and $1.75.  Bass Pro carried it at around $4 a can.  I have heard that Asian markets are another source.

Or stop at a local food truck or coffee shop and ask where they get their supplies. The companies that sell food and cooking equipment accessories to small cafes, caterers and such usually sell canisters of butane. Caterers often use the portable stoves on sight at a job. Better pricing than other retail locations.

the Costco Business Center stores have very good pricing on this item. But they do not sell individual canisters, they sell a package of them in quantity. They have very good prices on them. The Costco Business Center stores are set up for supplying restaurants so their selection is focused on that versus the selection at the regular Costco stores that has a general population focus for selection of what they sell.

out in the sticks trying to find Butane is like trying to find hens teeth. highdesertranger

Sam’s Club was my last source!

Local Walmart generally has it too!

I tend to buy it when I see it if I’m running even a little bit low.

I use it daily when working and find it a much better option than propane!

SD

This info was just sent to me:

Twice I've ordered & successfully received 12-packs of name brand GasOne butane canisters from Amazon (current price is about $26 for a 12 pack).
Both times I used USPS "General Delivery" in a tiny far northern Wisconsin village.

First time, it was sent UPS, and I experienced that frustrating learning curve, but finally did get it (the key with "general delivery" is to talk to the local USPS peeps, then call the local UPS office and assure them that the local PO will accept it - don't waste time calling UPS' national number).

There's two different Amazon codes for what appears to be the exact same product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D7FYCI/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022BUT2O/

Both times I used the first link.
I have CamelCamelCamel price watches on both.
My 2nd order was triggered by a sudden price drop ($21.93 from vendor "V.S.V.").
My 1st order was from vendor "First Web Sales".

Also keep Asian grocery stores in mind. I got a stash at a Korean store in CA. Possibly not a thing in SW AZ, but for future reference.

Walmart seems to have quit carrying the butane cans used in the stoves. I had to start getting it at Big 5 sporting good stores where it is prriced higher but not extravagently higher priced.

Is there a restaurant supply store in Yuma or environ?  Butane stoves are used at omelette stations all the time.

maki2 said:
Walmart seems to have quit carrying the butane cans used in the stoves. I had to start getting it at Big 5 sporting good stores where it is prriced higher but not extravagently higher priced.
Walmart in NE Georgia has started carrying butane fuel again. It used to be an 8.8oz coleman brand butane cart for $2.97 

Now they have the 8oz sterno brand butane carts for $3. I cant complain I suppose because when walmart was out of them I had to buy sterno brand from academy sporting goods for $4