Building out the Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedub3

Reaction score
Here is Big Mo

kpHlExJ.png

qUfmU3Q.png

Interior stripped down to just the drivers seat. 

fbfjxDQ.png

Still need to get the headliner out but need to wait until I am ready to take a trip to the dump because that thing is long an awkward and I have no place to put it. Also still lots of cleaning to do. This was a prisoner transport van and those jerks put trash in every crevice they could find.

fmCcn1f.png

Those window cages will come down soon, just haven't gotten to it yet. The rear AC/Heating unit has to go too. I was going to incorporate it into the build but it is just in my way. I have already done the research on this and an AC guy has already stopped by to evacuate the system, just waiting on the parts to arrive so I can cap the system off once I cut the lines.

I will next do the cabin area. I have to drive this thing around town so I need to be comfortable. Been hitting up salvage yards looking for seats, especially one that swivels, no luck yet. I have pulled out the cigarette lighter and replaced it with a usb adapter so I can charge my phone and other devices, now I need to build a center console because there is no where to put my coffee when I am driving. Ugh!

I am working on the layout in sketchup, I will post it soon.

Kat

Have you found the rear AC lines under the floor on the driver's side?  I unhooked them at the union cut off about 4 inches on the back side squeezed the ends in a vice and welded them shut.  My lines were steel.   I finally figured that out when i put a magnet on them.  For the rear heater hoses I undid them at the front of the doghouse.  PM me if I can help.

Thanks! Awesome info. I will take a look when I get home. When the AC guy stopped by to evacuate the lines, he showed me a good place to cut the lines at. I was waiting on some parts before I tackled it. Do you still have heat and AC in the front of the van, or did you eliminate all of that?

Kat

The doghouses were the same for many years and the different consoles easily interchange.  You can get one with one or many drink holders and it will slip fit right into place...  Just lift upwards on the console and it disconnects from the doghouse.

Doubleone said:
The doghouses were the same for many years and the different  consoles easily interchange.  You can get one with one or many drink holders and it will slip fit right into place...  Just lift upwards on the console and it disconnects from the doghouse.

Thanks that good to know. I will put that on my list to look for when I hit another salvage yard this week.

Kat

I have recently bought a grooming van that was poorly designed and I am going to gut it and rebuild it. I bought that dvd/book set about 2 weeks ago. I am about half way through the book. It has alot of detail on where to abtain a van and how to get financing. (I skipped this part, since I already bought a van) So far the book is very informative, and is giving me some new ideas. The dvd is really short and just explains "their" process of building the van. In the dvd, there is only one way to do things explained, not any other options. But this was helpful to me, since my van is not set up the same as in the dvd, so I have something to compare it to. I like the fact that it is a guide on how to build a van with the least possible cost. It won't be a fancy waggin tails, but it will be a working van.

urowhurs said:
I have recently bought a grooming van that was poorly designed and I am going to gut it and rebuild it. I bought that dvd/book set about 2 weeks ago. I am about half way through the book. It has alot of detail on where to abtain a van and how to get financing. (I skipped this part, since I already bought a van) So far the book is very informative, and is giving me some new ideas. The dvd is really short and just explains "their" process of building the van. In the dvd, there is only one way to do things explained, not any other options. But this was helpful to me, since my van is not set up the same as in the dvd, so I have something to compare it to. I like the fact that it is a guide on how to build a van with the least possible cost. It won't be a fancy waggin tails, but it will be a working van.

I am not concerned about building the van, my main concern was mechanical issues. I never did much with my vehicles other than routine oil changes until now, where I jumped in and got my hands dirty, learning all about the workings of this particular vehicle. As for the van building part, before the Real Estate Market Crash, I used to flip houses. 9 years I did that. If I can take a home down to the bare bones then put it back together, the van build will be a breeze. I also still have my wood shop with every tool imaginable so I am sure I will have it back together in no time.

Good Luck on your build and be sure to post pics.

Kat

The Layout I came up with this morning. Not sure if this will be the final design, but just playing around with the space. 

Q4Rlr4O.png

I decided to go for the stationary bed. I am not into having to move stuff around and reconfigure things just so that I can lay down. I am also thinking about placing a bench in front of the bed, as opposed to the two seats. Again this may change as I get closer to the build, Right now I need to go out and remove the headliner, and those awful cage things over the windows.

Kat

Thanks @ratfink56 for those links and the info on the doghouses. I am about to leave now to scope out another salvage yard, hopefully I find something I can use. 

Kat

ratfink56 said:
And a source for rear a/c block off kits. On my Dodge they went right under the hood and allowed me to remove all the hoses and pipes to the rear of the van. About $65. http://www.streetrodguys.com/

Just checked out this link, this is exactly where I ordered the parts from so once they arrive i should be good to go.

Kat

@veedub3, your layout looks very workable. I have a GMC cargo van, which is shorter than yours, from the looks of it. I originally had a twin bed lengthwise, but the usable floor space was .... TINY. After seeing some conversions online, I discovered I would have 74-76" crosswise at the back for a mattress, if I removed the wooden boards used for lashing cargo (and using no insulation or paneling - there is only 68" across after paneling). The vertical metal strut is in the way, but that is not a huge problem.

After several trips, I would recommend one thing - don't put too much conversion stuff in there immediately. I've seen dozens of van conversions online, and they get these great ideas for cabinets all over the place, and end up with only tiny floor space in the end. IOW, try it out for a few trips first by leaving off all cabinets/whatever on the right side of the van. Just a thought.

QinReno said:
@veedub3, your layout looks very workable. I have a GMC cargo van, which is shorter than yours, from the looks of it. I originally had a twin bed lengthwise, but the usable floor space was .... TINY. After seeing some conversions online, I discovered I would have 74-76" crosswise at the back for a mattress, if I removed the wooden boards used for lashing cargo (and using no insulation or paneling - there is only 68" across after paneling). The vertical metal strut is in the way, but that is not a huge problem.

After several trips, I would recommend one thing - don't put too much conversion stuff in there immediately. I've seen dozens of van conversions online, and they get these great ideas for cabinets all over the place, and end up with only tiny floor space in the end. IOW, try it out for a few trips first by leaving off all cabinets/whatever on the right side of the van. Just a thought.

I have the extended van so it is a tad longer. I am only 5'7 so I have enough room across the back. The bed is custom and actually a smidgen wider than a twin. It's just me so I didn't want to waste all the room on a larger bed. If anyone else decided to tag along, I got a tent and sleeping bag for them.  :D 

Great tips btw, makes sense. I was going to go on a test run for a weekend just to get a feel for what I may need and what I really can do with out. I am in GA so I was going to camp at Stone Mountain one weekend. To be honest, all I really need is a bed and a way to make coffee. Anything else is just icing on top. 

Kat

I just looked at the block off kit for $61.  I did the same thing and only bought 2 new o-rings and paid my buddy $10 to weld up the tubes.  I can assure you My way works.  Try it and see if you can send that $61 thing back.  I don't know how to post pictures here but I could text or email them to you.  I've read several times how to post pictures but my 70 year old brain has to be SHOWED how to do things.

@Kat (it rhymes!), I'm new to this vanning thing, but have camped out all my life, and heavily believe in "minimalism". I spent 6-weeks in the van in february and march with the twin mattress lengthwise, and quickly got to praying for more floor space. The nice thing is, you can do the build in several stages. Put in something, try it out for few trips, and go from there, without committing to too much cabinetry work up front.

Being a long-time tent camper, I decided on all temporary build, where everything can come out in a short time, but that's mainly because the van is only a couple of years old, and I'm terrified to drill holes into it! For reference, besides an 8" 3-layer foam mattress on a board on top of storage boxes, I have only 2 pieces of furniture, a small night stand cabinet wired for batteries and solar, and a beautiful folding computer table. Having solar is fantastic, and I just put the panel outside in the daytime (no holes in the roof!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sampson-Folding-Mission-Computer-Desk-Natural/222804321584

Another idea, with the mattress crosswise and no permanent cabinets, I have the capability for changing from 38" wide twin to 54" wide double mattress without too much trouble, or impact on available floor space.

closeanuf said:
I just looked at the block off kit for $61.  I did the same thing and only bought 2 new o-rings and paid my buddy $10 to weld up the tubes.  I can assure you My way works.  Try it and see if you can send that $61 thing back.  I don't know how to post pictures here but I could text or email them to you.  I've read several times how to post pictures but my 70 year old brain has to be SHOWED how to do things.

Sending you a PM with my email so you can send me the pic, I would love to see how you worked it out.

Thanks,
Kat

closeanuf said:
 Probably fine as long as you have a buddy that welds aluminum. Around here welders charge by the inch for that.