Build Ideas-Input appreciated

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbit

Reaction score
This is my first build idea attempt. It is aimed at a full size-ish van. The build area is 10'L x 6'W x 4'H. The only dimension I am willing to make smaller(just a lil) is the 6' width. I can easily remove 3" from both bunks for an additional 6" to lower width to 5'6". Hopefully, length will be closer to 12', and height closer to 5'6" when I find find one I like and can afford.

Notes
*No fridge with this(np for me)
*front passenger seat with rotate 180 for a seat, driver side also if it's doable(not shown)
*TV not shown but will be attached to roof near rear and a fold-up hinge
*not shown-some smaller shelf-cupboards attached to roof at foot of each bed(towards rear and each side of van) measuring 12"L x 18"W x 12"H

Looking for what I am missing, or suggestions/tips. Will be 2 people traveling in this. Thnx!

VanDwelling_1.png

Attachments

• VanDwelling_1.png
    VanDwelling_1.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 81
If I'm not mistaking what I'm seeing, the 5 gal. loo is being stored so you have to exit the van and open the rear doors to retrieve it?

Gonna get old fast when it's pouring rain.

Regards
John

Looks Good.
Only thing that comes to mind immediately for me is that I would rather have my stove/oven on a pivot by the door, so that I could swing it outside to cook when it was convenient. Maybe there isn't room to do that and still use the door...dunno.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
If I'm not mistaking what I'm seeing, the 5 gal. loo is being stored so you have to exit the van and open the rear doors to retrieve it?

Gonna get old fast when it's pouring rain.

Regards
John

Excellent point, will have to figure that out. Most likely with adding a door there. Thanks! I would have missed that entirely until I was driving down the road or whatnot and had to use the loo!

karl said:
Looks Good.
Only thing that comes to mind immediately for me is that I would rather have my stove/oven on a pivot by the door, so that I could swing it outside to cook when it was convenient. Maybe there isn't room to do that and still use the door...dunno.

Good idea! Switching the sink area module with the cooking module doesn't seem to be problematic from just thinking about it and actually has some advantages. Having the stove just on a pivot would most likely block the door. However, if I can think of a way to have the stove module slide out first and then pivot...can't visualize what I would need to do for the pivot part...Really like the idea though and I will figure something out to make it work. Being outside as much as possible(especially while cooking) is what makes life fun/enjoyable for me. thnx! This will happen for this build lol!

Revision 1
VanDwelling_1.png

Attachments

• VanDwelling_1.png
    VanDwelling_1.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 52
I would push the Batt box to the side, and put the loo in the middle (so I don't have to get it out and put it back over the bed space). I would put the propane tank under the cooker and take up all of the #2 side door w/ that area. Only need one side door and that way I can use it inside or out by just having the side doors open.
Do you need two beds?

I'd run out of storage pretty quick. Maybe a couple feet worth of floor-ceiling shelving between the beds at the back? Could be added later I suppose.

Do you have a chair for the front for using the sink or stove when it's raining?

Yea. Battery box under bed, ahead of wheel well on the pass. side. (Lighter weight side) Bad spot for weight that far back, and that's valuable space for storage.

Based on your "outside cooking" comment, I would make sure that stove is portable.

I love my swivel pass. seat, great mod, but left the drivers fixed. My counter, like you pictured, interferes. All is not lost though, drivers seat stores clothing bags and other items loose in the van when parked. (Yes we take too much junk!)

The extended vans are 12' inside, common and not really any more expensive.

LowTech said:
I would push the Batt box to the side, and put the loo in the middle (so I don't have to get it out and put it back over the bed space). I would put the propane tank under the cooker and take up all of the #2 side door w/ that area. Only need one side door and that way I can use it inside or out by just having the side doors open.
Do you need two beds?

Relooked at the loo sitch, the only time that will be used is for heavy duty business with a new bag each time(or good timing with 2 people lol). Bags placed in back by loo storage area. So pulling it out/in there isn't a risk for any messes. For the smaller business, we will be using a portable urinal(also stored next to loo in rear). If I didn't need a lil body space when doing the business, that loo would fit nice in the middle.

Not sure about the propane\cooker input. With Rev 1, I envision being able to use it inside and outside when it's pulled out. Did you get a chance to look at Revision 1?

2 bunks are needed.

Reducto said:
I'd run out of storage pretty quick. Maybe a couple feet worth of floor-ceiling shelving between the beds at the back? Could be added later I suppose.

Do you have a chair for the front for using the sink or stove when it's raining?

Storage might be an issue for us, there is what's under the beds, some dish storage above the sink area, small storage at the foot of each bed, and then in the rear I will have 24"x12"x24" on each side top area. Instead of going floor to ceiling with in between the bunks towards the rear, just doing 3 feet of the walkway(towards rear)up to bunk level is a good thought. Everything will definitely need to have a space and organization necessary. However, if this is not enough storage, planning on adding a small travel trailer(don't want to but will if have too).  No chair, but there will be a smaller 28 quart coleman cooler than can be used as a sit spot in that area.

One Awesome Inch said:
Where are you putting your heater?

Didn't think about the heater, after you mention it and looking at floor plan, I see there are areas to "store" it and then pull out when needed. Possibly on top of battery box. Will think about that one.

thanks for all the input, definitely helping!

Bdog1 said:
Yea.  Battery box under bed, ahead of wheel well on the pass. side. (Lighter weight side)  Bad spot for weight that far back, and that's valuable space for storage.

Based on your "outside cooking" comment, I would make sure that stove is portable.

I love my swivel pass. seat, great mod, but left the drivers fixed. My counter, like you pictured, interferes.  All is not lost though, drivers seat stores clothing bags and other items loose in the van when parked. (Yes we take too much junk!)

The extended vans are 12' inside, common and not really any more expensive.

Was thinking of placing batteries near there, but was thinking that the 250# on one side might mess up weight distribution. I do see where I could split the batteries and go 2 to each side...hmmm. Will move the batteries forward though, was thinking the extra weight in the back would be good for traction, but that was just conjecture lol.

The stove/oven is the Camp Chef Outdoor Oven. Will use a longer hose so that when using it outside, the hose will accommodate it.

Van wise, am planning on getting a 12' length and also a high top, but working atm with worse case van area(well, lol worse case would be 9', but I just wouldn't buy that).

Having taken a log trip with two in a van, I gotta say I don't think you have nearly enough storage for all your stuff. Having to dig everything out from under the bed constantly gets old really, really fast!

I think you need to drastically simplify. I'd get rid of the stove/oven and the water system. Those are very easily replaced for 1/10th of the space you are giving them.

Bob

Revision 2. Loses some aesthetics with block walkway between bunks, but definitely think all changes so far positive. Done with this build unless someone has any improvements. Calling this Van 10x6x4 Revision 2, if you want to reference it. Thanks for the tips\improvements on this build!

VanDwelling_1.png

Attachments

• VanDwelling_1.png
    VanDwelling_1.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 47
akrvbob said:
Having taken a log trip with two in a van, I gotta say I don't think you have nearly enough storage for all your stuff. Having to dig everything out from under the bed constantly gets old really, really fast!

I think you need to drastically simplify. I'd get rid of the stove/oven and the water system. Those are very easily replaced for 1/10th of the space you are giving them.

Bob

We must have posted at near the same time. Went and edited my reply to include your perspective, but after alot of typing it said I ran out of time to edit...lol. So in a nut shell.

Almost positive that the vehicle I will buy will be 12' or longer if I get a nice price on a sprinter. This build is kinda a worse case scenario, also will either have a high-top on it or that will be added sometime in the future. The build as it is, is very crowded. However, we will be outside whenever weather permits. Inside when weather is bad or sleeping. I am thinking hard about the cramped quarters, especially with the experience you have. But I am just reluctant to remove anything unless absolutely necessary. If I have to remove something, it will be the sink module.

Right now during the summer we fit everything we need into a minivan with the seats removed in the cargo area. Everything gets packed in and the back is only about halfway filled to the roof(if that makes sense). Knowing what we take for 6 months camping, I am pretty sure that it will all fit, albeit quite cramped.

As to the under the bed storage hassle, I agree it will prob get old fast. But it is too much room to just ignore, I am hoping that with cutting the "bed board" in half, it will make it easier to lift and rummage. Thanks for the input though, I am trying to stay realistic about what will work\fit\is needed, and your post helps.

here is a few ideas, if you moved that space between the two beds to the side over the wheel well it could go to the ceiling and have it all storage, throw the mattress over the other bed, the one bed could be made to fold up against the cabinet, lift up from the floor, or pull out from under the other. when bed is not in use you would have all that extra space to move around in. there could be tables that flip down from the storage or slip into it as a leverage thing could use part of the second bed as a table the other part could stay there and it would be an L shaped when lounging and have storage under it. your potti could fit into the cooking chair. you might want to think of having a swivel base on the passenger seat. hope that helps

Gotta ask a simple question - the two of you that you are planning on - are you a couple that sleeps together or are you two people who require their own beds?

If you're two people who are not adverse to sharing a bed, there are much better layouts than what you're doing.

Almost There said:
If you're two people who are not adverse to sharing a bed, there are much better layouts than what you're doing.

I hear you on the better to go just one bunk, but dual bunks are preferable.

Also the passenger side seat in front will be on a swivel. As to the foldable bunk, I would do something like that if I just needed the extra bunk every once in awhile. But putting it away and pulling it out every morning/night...lol...I'm too lazy for that!

As far as the four batteries go, your original location in back would cause the front end to lift slightly, think teeter-totter.  This would probably negatively impact the steering.

If you put two batteries under each bed, located right next to the wheel wells, they would be directly over the axle, there would be no teeter-totter effect, and the weight would help your traction.

Regards
John

Cry said:
Revision 1

Attach the stove cabinet to the door (assuming the door swings out vs. sliding back to open). Door hinge becomes way of using stove indoors or out by opening or closing the door.

On 1st drawing I thought you put the sink by the door so it could double as shower outside (as well as inside (w/ curtain)) by using spray handle as sink spigot & shower nozzle. 

Personally I can't   decide which advantage I like most; bathing outside or cooking outside. Anyone have response to which is better or how to have the advantage of both without adding outdoor shower compartment? 

flying kurbmaster said:
here is a few ideas, if you moved that space between the two beds to the side over the wheel well it could go to the ceiling and have it all storage, throw the mattress over the other bed, the one bed could be made to fold up against the cabinet, lift up from the floor, or pull out from under the other. when bed is not in use you would have all that extra space to move around in. there could be tables that flip down from the storage or slip into it as a leverage thing could use part of the second bed as a table the other part could stay there and it would be an L shaped when lounging and have storage under it. your potti could fit into the cooking chair. you might want to think of having a swivel base on the passenger seat. hope that helps

Cry said:
I hear you on the better to go just one bunk, but dual bunks are preferable.

Also the passenger side seat in front will be on a swivel. As to the foldable bunk, I would do something like that if I just needed the extra bunk every once in awhile. But putting it away and pulling it out every morning/night...lol...I'm too lazy for that!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
...If you put two batteries under each bed, located right next to the wheel wells, they would be directly over the axle, there would be no teeter-totter effect, and the weight would help your traction...

Regards
John

Looking at the walkway kinda "blocked" like that, I do think I will be separating the batteries. I am thinking on the sides of the van in front of where the wheel wells end.