Bug screen for floor vent?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reducto

Reaction score
I've seen several people here recommend marine deck plates for their floor vent but when open, they seem to just be plain holes. I need to incorporate a bug screen into mine but the solution I came up didn't turn out to be very elegant. Actually, having a good insect screen is more important than being able to close it since I spend most of the year in warm areas.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure how this post got so far down the list without a dozen replies. I have not done this myself, but I've read in many RV blogs about folks using steel wool to poke tightly into unwanted holes in their rigs to keep out mice and insects. Sounds like the vent hole would be too large to just stuff some in and fill it tightly enough?

Again, I'm not able to picture your vent structure, but many here use no-see-um netting to construct screens for their rig windows -- often simply using duct tape around the perimeter of the screens to have safe edges. Then they are held in place with magnets. I have seen pics of someone who cut the screen panels oversize and then included the magnets under the duct tape at the edges.

Sorry if these are way off base.

mosquito netting cut a little oversize and duct gorilla tape cut fit?

My setup is I have a hole cut in the floor underneath my passenger seat. I use some window screen and something I found in the garden department rigged up but I'm not happy with it.

The problem is the idea behind the deck plate is it can be plugged up when driving or during cold weather then opened for use. I suppose I could put window screen under the plate when I install it but that leaves it exposed. Just wondering what other people are doing.

they used to make screens for deck plates but I can't seem to find them anymore. you would unscrew the solid plate and screw in the screen plate. I guess you could make your own by using another plate cut out the center and glue a screen in there. you can buy the plates separate from the flange. highdesertranger

I cut a square of copper screen and bent a Z on all 4 edges to create a lip. Added no.see.um screen to the underside and screwed it all into the bottom of the box van to cover the deck plate vent. I didn't want any critters chewing through vinyl door screen.

It's kinda out of season, but I'm looking into the summer, so I did a search on "mosquito net" and found this thread.

I'm from Florida and I have had plenty of mosquitos in my life. But one thing that makes me crazy is that high-pitched "zzzzzzziiizzzzz" around my ears when trying to sleep.

I figured out an extremely easy fix AND, a very easy way to keep it clean.

I have screw in deck plates. At the bottom of the floor vent (the floor is 2 inches thick with all the wood and insulation), we have a varmint screen from Amazon attached to keep out sizable wildlife. I found at home depot an adjustable duct ring , made it the right size to go over the deck plate neck and then I stretched a piece of cut out plastic window screen fabric over the deck plate hole and put the duct ring snugly on top of the vent. Voilà! I now have two floor vents with no wildlife entering, insect or otherwise.

When the screen gets dirty, I just cut a new one.