bread in a crock pot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
Two wonderings:
1. Are crock pots a drain on a solar set up or do they draw a low enough power that it can be managed

2. Has anyone tried the various recipes out there to make bread in a crock pot? Probably cheaper in the long run to just buy a loaf, but I am curious and have lots of time to fill before I can be out there living the life.

No comment on power consumption but you might try something this.
486de4034150dd44d55921ab155cc16e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mayble said:
or you could just get one of these:
https://www.campchef.com/portable-ovens/outdoor-ovens/deluxe-outdoor-camping-oven.html
i have one (i'm currently using it in my house) and i love it!
bread, pizza, brownies, cookies, nachos- it's a life saver as far as i'm concerned

that is seriously cool! - takes up some space though.
I love to bake -- have been reading about the solar ovens too. But I also use my crockpot quite a bit for soups and one pot meals. I think I need to start a spreadsheet and give these things priority ratings and use scenarios .... LOL!  again, got  too much time to fill before this becomes real

I have seen people bake in a dutch oven before but I believe hey get considerably hotter than a crock pot. I would suggest finding one with a high setting and seeing what temperature it gets to. Bread will bake at lower temps, it just takes longer.

Bob id a review on a folding oven or on the stovetop. I takes little room when folded up.

The Sunflair solar cooker folds up to fit in a shopping sized bag. Here soon I will be testing out some new cookers that fold up.

My small crock pot (slow cooker) is 400 watts, and I think that's the smallest/lowest wattage. I don't really understand solar, but I got the impression that you need at least twice the power of the 'unit' you're using, and if it draws quite a bit, you can't use anything else while it's running.

There are websites that indicate that you can bake in your slow cooker, but I think steam has to be allowed to escape. I've never actually tried it.

About Jimindenver's comment about the low heat of a slow cooker: the older ones didn't get as hot as the newer ones. If you are considering buying one, get one that has a low/high control, as many people say the High gets too hot.

The lowest wattage Croc pot that I know of is the Road Pro 12v croc pot at 96w.

so yeah, i guess given the length of time a slow cooker needs, its really best to use only when plugged in somewhere other than solar.
I have a very small two quart one that won't take up much storage space and I can probably use the ceramic insert for other things too.

Still loving that portable oven/range though! if i end up with a rig that does not have a galley then that will be on my list. Reviews on it are good.

Use a solar oven. Works just fine.

I had a infoil lined cardboard box...but it takes up too much room. I found a foil covered Mylar one...just rolls up and weighs nothing. Great for just about anything that you want to cook/bake. And..no drain on the batteries.

I had one if those CampChef ovens to use on a covered patio, but it was way too heavy to shlep in and out of the van. Gave it to #3 son.

I have a rice machine that's 350 Watts that I've used to several things. They say you can make bread in one, I will try eventually. I have 300ah of battery and 445watts solar and it doesn't take too much power, as long as its sunny.
Ted

This thread got me thinking so I tried an experiment yesterday. My van has a 2 burner propane stove and a microwave. I like the frozen texas cheese toast from the box. I have never tried to make it in the van. So what I did was made a dutch oven out of 2 Cast Iron frying pans. I put a tiny homemade rack made from fence wire to keep the bread off the bottom pan. It worked pretty good. I will still need to try a few more experiments to refine the technique but it opens up some food options for me.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
This thread got me thinking so I tried an experiment yesterday. My van has a 2 burner propane stove and a microwave. I like the frozen texas cheese toast from the box. I have never tried to make it in the van. So what I did was made a dutch oven out of 2 Cast Iron frying pans. I put a tiny homemade rack made from fence wire to keep the bread off the bottom pan. It worked pretty good. I will still need to try a few more experiments to refine the technique but it opens up some food options for me.

very cool!  I started this thread as I found this instructable online for using crock pot to make bread:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Bake-Bread-in-a-Crock-Pot-Slow-Cooker/

but any constant heat source would work -- i like the dutch oven idea, over a propane burner -- probably some trial and error to get the temp right

warning be very careful when repurposing material for oven racks, fire grates or anything where heat and food is concerned. coating on many things are toxic when heated, they give off toxic fumes and will poison your food. highdesertranger

TrainChaser said:
I have considered similar contraptions to make an oven, like a larger pot with holes in the lid, but for $30 or so, it just seems easier to buy a Coleman folding oven and have a temp gauge.  Or, for $69, one with a large window:  http://stpaulmercantile.com/index.p...ducts_id=234&zenid=dj6ml1v4k9oa5nol9vcan7nfd7 ..... But this one doesn't fold.

thanks!
yup, would be easier for sure, looked up the coleman -- its a tin box. yes, it folds, so not a huge space-taker., and has decent reviews

but I'm still wanting to have things pull double or triple duty..so what else can i do with a tin box?...leaving this one wide open here...

I have one of those camp ovens that fold up and sits on the propane stove to use...have used it several times with varying degrees of success...
biggest challenge is keeping the temp. steady especially if there's any stiff breezes at all...most successful when I had a screen shelter with tarps hung on three sides to keep bulk of the breeze/wind out...
I also have a mini cupcake baker(electric) that I have used inside my van...only makes 7 bite-size sweets at a time so takes a while to bake a full batch of cake mix or muffins, but it does warm the van nicely on cold days when one doesn't want to be outdoors...
best way to bake things in the great outdoors, however, is in a dutch oven...temps can be regulated much easier...have had some success using the dutch oven on the propane stove when I didn't want to putz around with the charcoal...baking is my favorite pastime...