Box Truck Insurance Problems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtW said:
I'm just shocked at the prices some of you get
I'm 49, divorced, good driving record, and my truck is almost $300 / 6 months (I am only ever offered 6 month policies) for a Ford Ranger
in the same state Arctic Cat is paying 250 a year? madness!

I honestly think that personal insurance policies are higher than those commercial.  In my personal I pay about $750 for  3 cars every 6 months.   My motorcycle which is in a different policy with same insurance is $246 a year.  The big van is on a commercial policy and amazingly it only pay $204 a year.    Of course I pay for my insurance cash in lump sum so that give me a huge discount and all them are with progressive.  I guess is depend where you insure.   Btw I'm 50, Divorced too with a good record

Wow, who'da thunk it? maybe i need a commercial type truck
My 2012 Silverwing 600 costs me $404 a year, for full coverage, you don't wanna know how much the CB500 I actually wanted would have run

ArtW said:
Wow, who'da thunk it? maybe i need a commercial type truck
My 2012 Silverwing 600 costs me $404 a year, for full coverage, you don't wanna know how much the CB500 I actually wanted would have run

My bike is 2012 Triumph America and full coverage too.  Which state you live at?

Texas
funny thing, my auto insurance went fro 55 / month for 4 months to 72 a month when I moved fro Columbus, Tx to Garwood, Tx, literally 20 miles away

Insurance prices only make sense to insurance companies. My 2004 KLR costs $165 per year for full coverage. My son had Bandit when he was 19 and it only cost him $135 per year through the same company and at the same address. Tell me a 19 year old on a 140 mph machine with a couple speeding tickets is less of a risk than a 50 year old on a machine that will only do 90 mph downhill with a tail wind and I have a clean record. They said it was because they base it on engine size for bikes. Mine was 648 cc and his was 598 cc and 600 was the point it increased. My commercial insurance on my 2012 Ram is also cheaper than my wife's personal insurance on her 2003 Ford Escape.

Sorry to see little info here.

I have been investigating this in Texas.
Not the telling the truth to the insurance agent is dumb and you will find out if when\if it ever comes time for you to file a claim (as others have written). The only reason to lie is you just want a policy to be legal and have no intention of filing a claim...rather risky.
From the little I have learned so far the crux of the problem is (as others have said) the VIN labels it a commercial vehicle so does not matter if the state changes the classification to RV or Motorhome. Once a commercial vehicle always a that.

I will keep researching. Pity there is such a lack of info so far and those that have succeeded don't pass on the relevant details to help others (i.e. agents name\contact, their rig, weight issues ect.ect)

I want to convert a ~16-18ft box truck. A van is too small for me.

Welcome to the forum.....I'm old......no S&B.....Newish Ford Transit........10,000 lbs

I have a Florida policy for a commercial vehicle for personal use............Insurance is a STATE issue

The best advice I got on the Schoolies Forum.........Go to an Independent Insurance Agent ......MY Florida agent was recommended on that forum.........he wrote a Progressive policy for Full coverage

I've never met him......everything was by phone/e-mail/debitcard......He knows I live in my van.....I use an Escapees domicile/mail service

Escapees SAMPLE Address:

My Name
123 CR 456 #9876 (That's the address of the Escapees park.....# is my PMB.....No problem with official acceptance)
Bushnell Florida Zip

Anybody need a Florida Insurance agent ? ........my guy can write a policy anywhere in the state.....good luck..........

They're the ones who do it on purpose, so you'll pay more money, that's their job...

I don't really like dealing with insurance companies. They all seem to be trying to fool us. I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that? However, I am sure that there are good insurance companies that are interested in helping a person. My brother works for one of these companies, and it is good that it is not so big yet and is interested in attracting customers. I even recently wanted to go on a trip all over America, and I just bought a new car, and I didn't want to take out full insurance on the car. And I was told that you can make a short insurance policy. I've never even heard of it, so I'm more fortunate than you are...

Moneyexpert.com

The VIN itself doesn't classify a vehicle as a Commercial vehicle.

Class Cs and box trucks start life out the assembly plant door as a cab/chassis, and that's what the original manufacturers' VIN will state.

The box, or the house, are added by an upfitter. In the case of an RV there will be the upfitters badging on the house that some RV parks may require.

One can buy a vehicle and use it as a private vehicle or use it for commercial business, as long as it is suitable for purpose.

Some insurance agents don't do much more than writing standard policies, and can't think outside of rigid boxes.

A way to avoid the pain of dealing with anal retentive insurance agents, is to assume the collision and comprehensive risk yourself. Get only the basic liability, etc. required by the state where the vehicle is to be registered. Of course, this means you cannot finance the vehicle, you must purchase it outright with cash.

Being in Florida may I suggest SafeCo Insurance. This is a Liberty Mutual Insurance provider.
If you google SafeCo insurance you should find an agent up north around Jacksonville I think.
DO NOT TELL THEM YOU WILL BE LIVING IN IT FULL TIME!! You are converting it to a recreational vehicle/camper van.
Once you get it insured you can go to the tag/title office and get the vin # changed to an RV
Good Luck!

$362/yr USAA. It is a "Commercial Truck" for personal use. (9600 GVW)

Things change at 10,001 lbs. (Some) states require you stop at weigh station- You know that tiny tiny bit of play in your steering gear?
That's a deadline to ICC or State Patrol or DPS inspectors. Any truck, that marker light that burnt out while you were driving ...

Many states have something similar:

"(a) "Motor home" means a recreational vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters. The motor home has a living unit built into as an integral part of, or permanently attached to the chassis of, a motor vehicle or van.
(b) A motor home must contain permanently installed, independent, life-support systems that meet the American National Standards Institute standard number A119.2 for recreational vehicles and provide at least four of the following facilities, two of which must be from the systems listed in clauses (1), (5), and (6):
(1) a cooking facility with liquid propane gas supply,
(2) a refrigerator,
(3) a self-contained toilet or a toilet connected to a plumbing system with a connection for external water disposal,
(4) a heating or air conditioning system separate from the motor vehicle engine,
(5) a potable water supply system including a sink with a faucet either self-contained or with connections for an external source, and
(6) a separate 110-125 volts electrical power supply.

(c) For purposes of this subdivision, "permanently installed" means built into or attached as an integral part of a chassis or van, and designed not to be removed except for repair or replacement. A system that is readily removable or held in place by clamps or tie-downs is not permanently installed.

And apparently insuring a box truck is still problematic.

Latest posts