Bought a Ford Windstar!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creative_life

Reaction score
We were able to buy a 1998 Ford Windstar for $1200 from my dad. By the time we got home, it was too dark to really check it out, but I'm looking forward to really looking at it tomorrow and gathering ideas to modify it for camping this spring and summer.

Keep an eye on things, they are known for blowing head gaskets. I have felt the pain. Radiator sealer and an auction fixed it.

We recently bought one for our daughter.

it has over 400,000 miles on it, and other than a few small electrical issues in the dashboard...it runs like a top!

but like anything...if you take good care of it, it should last just fine.

Issues with the van:

Power windows don't work
Power locks don't work
Side door doesn't open
The open door chime constantly dings

I was hoping the seats folded flat but they don't. That's not a big deal, we'll take them out and build a bed platform and shelves. But we do have to fix the window issue and the side door if possible. We can't camp this spring and summer with no way to open the windows and get air inside at night.

I did see how to take the seats out. The trunk does open so they'll come out that way. There are 2 areas on either side of the rear seat that can be used for storage.

Getting lots of ideas online. Now to draw up a plan and budget for the repairs and modification. Hope to take our maiden trip in April.

Junkyards can be your best friends!!

I (personally) DISPISE electronic door locks and windows. They're expensive to fix or replace, and they just don't last. (in my book)

I'd switch those bad boys out for manually operated windows. Heck, you could probably just switch out the doors for ones that have manual locks and windows for $100.

Patrick46 said:
Junkyards can be your best friends!!

I'd switch those bad boys out for manually operated windows. Heck, you could probably just switch out the doors for ones that have manual locks and windows for $100.
Unless junkyards are significantly cheaper in your area than mine(certainly possible), I would say it is more like $100/door. It is almost cheaper/easier to just buy the whole door with the manual hardware and replace them. Then sell the old doors for metal scrap.

Thanks, guys, that's a good idea. I'll run it by my husband and we'll do some research.