bought a 120v cube fridge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsun

Reaction score
$60 at walmart. Got bargain bin special on 1000w inverter at harbor freight for $45. Runs fridge great, amp meter shows it's pulling about 6 amps and getting cold fast. won't know duty cycle for a bit. van came with a 12v koolatron of nearly the exact same size so all I have to do is swap out the mounts....that's the big reason I didnt want to get a 12v compressor chest unit. Got to be space conscious and it wouldn't be right having 2 fridges with only one working.

It's a haier brand. very quiet had to actually touch compressor to make sure it was on before I put the amp meter on the line. In 10-15 minutes freezer compartment was ice cold.

its the haier 1.7cu ft, generally called a cube fridge because its dimensions are well...like a cube. its black, has reversible door, and a small freezer compartment with a little ice cube tray.

I bought one these also and plan to use it only when on shore power.

bardo said:
$60 at walmart. Got bargain bin special on 1000w inverter at harbor freight for $45. Runs fridge great, amp meter shows it's pulling about 6 amps and getting cold fast. won't know duty cycle for a bit. van came with a 12v koolatron of nearly the exact same size so all I have to do is swap out the mounts....that's the big reason I didnt want to get a 12v compressor chest unit. Got to be space conscious and it wouldn't be right having 2 fridges with only one working.

It's a haier brand. very quiet had to actually touch compressor to make sure it was on before I put the amp meter on the line. In 10-15 minutes freezer compartment was ice cold.
Interesting, will have to follow your thread here too, as I want to see how well it works out for you.

over look the mess and the lack of trim around fridge. I had styrofoam around old one and it got everywhere pulling it out. but got it roughed in and wired. setting 5 of 7 has ice cubes in freezer and right now while the sun is up it's running off an 80w panel.

the fridge is pretty even across the top but the lighting makes it look out of whack.

20170910_160329_HDR.jpg

I don't think it's bad for the whole thing including inverter for around a $100 and some change.

Attachments

• 20170910_160329_HDR.jpg
    20170910_160329_HDR.jpg
    891 KB · Views: 43
Setting 5/7 froze juice sitting just under freezer compartment in 3-4hrs. Went down to 3.5....manual recommends 3 but says dont expect foods to stay frozen.

Duty cycle test about 75f ambient, sun hour from setting. Open door 5 times. Kicked on total of 10-12 minutes. Volt meter at 12.8v. Inside temp 40.9f

Attachments

• 20170910_195853.jpg
    20170910_195853.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170910_195301_HDR.jpg
    20170910_195301_HDR.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 12
Seriously 6 amps? That seems way to high unless that is the momentary startup current. Running current should ne less than an amp.
Mike

6 amps is pretty good for a 120v mini fridge actualy. The lowest I found was a 3.1 ft two door that was rated at .64 amp and it cost twice as much for being so efficient. Some of the smallest cubes take 1.5 amp at 120v because they are built to a price point.

Its rated at 1.4a, but kicking on my garage chargers digital amp meter jumps 6

Ok been on battery since yesterday around 7pm. Heavy overcast, setting 3, 37.5f internal, 74f ambient.

Volt meter 12.8v...group 27 marine 6 years old, 80w panel with $10 pwm controller.

Since its calmed down for over 24hrs its kicking on pulling 4.6a for about 3-5 minutes per hour. Inner temp 38f average outside temp 67f. Opened 3 times per hour.

I think I have same frig. only white.  I bought mine a few years ago at a pawn shop for $50.  It was new in the orig. packing with those flat straps still around it.  I bought it to use when I would find a really good deal on meat or bread.  I learned that the top shelf next to and under the freezer would get real close to freezing depending in the setting.  It also needed defrosting a lot.  At first I carried it outside and set it in a lawn chair.  Now I just unplug it, place a folded towel in the bottom of it.  Then I place a pan a little larger than the freezer right under the freezer to catch drips.  

I plan on putting it in my Safari to use while travelling with or with out towing the Aliner.  I hadn't thought of solar/inverter for it.  I do have a small generator and I could charge a battery up with it. I'm having a Minn Kota elec power port put in one of the rear doors so I can use shore power when its available.

Jewellann

this one came with a pan. I didn't realize why until you posted this. Not sure if it's because it's so cool out today or what but the thing is performing unbelievably well so far. Def get a panel at least to trickle charge. there's a 100w kit for $150 shipped.

12hr overnight brought old group 27 down to 12.4v or 80%. Should be about 15A.

Attachments

• 20170912_080529.jpg
    20170912_080529.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 11
Trying to guess AH usage using Voltage is way too inaccurate.

You can get shunt based amp counters cheap, not IMO good for battery SoC monitoring, but for good enough for measuring load devices draw over time.

Well I'm not here to argue but my Arctic King (https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=19816) is pulling just .75A. I just went out and checked since I didn't want to be blowing smoke. Now that is the draw at 115VAC It is running off a HF 2000W PWM inverter and of course there I'm seeing about 4 amps with just the fridge.
But as with other compressor fridges, this one cycles infrequently. I'm guessing about 30%.

I can't complain and I'm happy with it and at $80.00 bucks I figure a fair deal. It has exactly a years time ridding around with me now and no ill affects that I can tell.

let's see .75A @ 115V = 86.25 watts so, 86.25W @ 12V = 7.2A. that's about 3 times more energy used then my 12V and that is not taking into consideration the inefficiency of the inverter. being a HF 2000W it's probably in the 20% range. I am not saying don't use these 120V refers only that are not very efficient. highdesertranger

yeah but does it run 1/3 as much? I mean they could make a 110v use 3x less current pretty easy....it would just run more.

there's no free energy. Just efficiency gains and losses...which you have to consider is paying $400-500 more worth saving $80 in solar?

I hear ya HDR and I totally agree that a purpose built 12V fridge is the best way to go.

In my case already had the inverter and power to run it so for now it does the job, and didn't break the little bank I had.

Best part is I'm not going through ice in a chest. Really nice to have the cold stuff cold and not wet :)

Mike R