62qt Whynter Fridge/Freezer combo - Nice -

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy2

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Someone I know just purchased a Whynter 62 quart DZ fridge/freezer[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DZ equals Dual Zone - [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]runs on 12volt DC and 120volt AC -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fridge is where I can look at it and use it [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]but is not in a van at the moment -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]its in a office - [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]fridge has been on for 5.5 days (132 hours) and it has [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]consumed 2.56 KWH @120v [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also runs on 12 and 24 volt DC but have not done it yet-[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](not 100% sure it will run on 24volt - but have read it will )[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]when compressor is running it draws steady 75 watts -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](about what a laptop uses while charging battery )[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]dont know what StartUP amp draw is -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]draws 2 watts just sitting -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Im using Killawatt meter to measure -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Specs in user manual match what Im seeing on meter -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]fridge is inside a office that is kept at 76f[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]compressor is real quiet -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]there is 2 coke machines and a net server in large office[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so there is some noise but I have to place my ear[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]next to compressor to hear it - [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and its still not loud this close - Nice -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]this unit has 2 compartments = DZ[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]both sides can be used as a fridge OR freezer Or both -- Very Nice -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Larger compartment is set to Freezer side at the moment -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Being a Chest fridge U have to get used [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to Doors Slamming shut - Gravity -->[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so U have to Hold door while closing for[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]no slamming of doors - [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I looked over the fridge and it looks well built -[/font]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each hinges has 6 screws - Nice[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Build quality is Very good - latches - [/font][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hinges and carry handles very nice -[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to open the lid it take 60 mm of space (2 3/8 in ) [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---> behind fridge box <---[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]has 2 drain plugs that exit in the back - [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the holes are not round its round with one flat side ?? - [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]not a great design - [/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Led lights - one each compartment - bright ish - Nice[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Led Info meter is Bright - to bright - but its easy to read-[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]numbers R changing all the time - ouch -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](i will cover this up )[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Has a High temperature warning Beeper that is nice -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]not to loud or annoying - seems to work well -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]with compressor running the warm air exits out the Front[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thru corner grill - very little air exits - hardly feel it - Nice[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]( in Hotter location exhaust fan may blow more air - dont know )[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only thing I have seen so far that I did not like is [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the shape of the Drain outlet - its a D shape - Wtf[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Glad I have been able to Look/test  this fridge - [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Im going to buy one now that I have gotten close look -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dont know if I should get Freezer/Fridge or just a Fridge ?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Im going to be in warmer areas mostly -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here is something good i to know[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-- 30 Quarts equals 1 Square foot in Fridge Language ---[/font]

A Whynter 62 qt needs a few inches (more than 3") space for the backside vent. The front, right side, and back have vents that cannot be obstructed.
Positives: dual AC/DC. Can't tip over. Door has latches built in.

I just aquired a single zone 45 qt whynter and am trying to get it to perform on dc like it apparently does on ac. I started out using a 100w dokio solar panel with its own proprietary charge controller hooked up to my starting battery and it worked fine in full sun between 10am and 2pm. The controller showed 13.7v during those times. I set the fridge to fast freeze and had a gallon of water for thermal mass. The temperature got down to -5f but the water was only 1/4 frozen.

I set the fridge to fast freeze and had a gallon of water for thermal mass. The temperature got down to -5f but the water was only 1/4 frozen.

It's can be considered normal to take about a day to hard freeze a room temperature gallon of water in a small fridge.

Re D shaped drain hole. Not sure but I know that if you drill a drain hole in a round shape like a small drill bit it will stop draining because a droplets will form and block it. It needs to be big enough to allow air to filter back through, 5/16 or larger, I think so it can drain, not drip. So perhaps, just guessing, that the D shape allows this or happen by the shape alone.

I too just bought a DZ Whynter and have only used it on my 4 6volt 400 watt system. It’s been running for about 5 days now without any problems. I have frozen about 5 bottles of water so far just to test it. I’m not living in the van yet. I’m still doing my build out.

If you would like to see it in the van check out my IG page @19904x4vanman the shape of the walls gives me a Few Inches at the bottom back of the refrigerator. I also have holes on the right & left sides. My only question is when I open it it’s wet at the gasket area. Does it need adjustment ?

I noticed wet area on door gasket area also -
but I did Not have door latches clamped down -

when latch is clamped down doors are shut much tighter -

did you have the latches clamped down?

----------------------

Could be something like that with D shaped hole -
no clue on my end -

unless used in real humid climate doubt if it will be a problem -
just figured I would mention it -

regular house fridges usually have water evaporation pan
built in under the fridge -

also

found out that Walmart sells Whynter brand fridges (same price)

but they offer 3 year Extended warranty for $50 extra -

I have never gotten a extended warranty on anything
but on this it could be a good move - maybe

Usually these warranties are a ripoff but maybe on this it
could be worth it - dont really know -

I looked into walmart warranty plans
and could not find anyone saying they got ripped off

side story-

I worked in the Sears tool department for 6 months 20 yrs ago -
I got Fired because I would Not sell Extended warranties to
people that had no clue -

Sears gave employee 50% of warranty money to sell these
defiantly Ripoff warranty plans-
was like getting paid to be a thief for sears -

I clamp the lids every time and it may sit a day or 2 before I open it. I’ve dried it every time too. I’m going to look into it on Monday. I bought mine from HomeDepot & it came with a 3 year warranty.
If I knew how to post a pic on here I would. Mine is on a slide so I can get to the side and open the top easier. The top is agents the wall but the bottom is about 3 inches out.

Groovy2 said:
also

found out that Walmart sells Whynter brand fridges (same price)

Just FYI: read the fine print on the item description page.

What you want to see is "Sold and shipped by Walmart"...

If it's sold and shipped by another vendor, it may not be covered by the normal merchandise warranty, and probably not returnable to a Walmart store directly.

I picked up a 62DZ last summer from Amazon warehouse. It was a return so I only had a 30 day warranty.
One of the rubber gaskets for the lid on one side was compressed in a section about 2" long from someone clamping the lid down on a shim. I took a heat gun, warmed it up and reshaped it. Good as new.

Because I only had the 30 day warranty, I ran the snot out of it in the van, sitting in the driveway most of the time in the Florida heat and part of the day in direct sun. No problems. It had to run most of the day to maintain temperature but it did a good job. At the time I was running it off AC. When I drove, I ran it on DC.

I ended buying the Whynter cover for it for about 50 bucks. It adds some insulation and protects the sheet metal some.

It did build up a little bit of frost inside but it was easy to defrost due to the drain holes. It's not self defrosting...

That’s good info because mine came with these little plastic things about 2 inches long between the body & lid & clamped down in the box. I didn’t know what they were for but now I’m going to look for compressed gaskets in that area.
Thank you

yesterday I checked the Killowatt meter and it read - ExactlY 100 hours -
the fridge had used 2.21 KWH - WOW

fridge is empty and gets opened a couple times a day
I did freeze a half gallon of water during test -

was surprised when meter read 100 hours
makes the math easy -
I had not looked at meter in a few days -
next time I looked it was at 102 hours - lol

Im building new shelf for fridge right now

1990Vanman, as of lately, my DZ-62 has been pretty wet around the gasket area on the freezer side (small zone). I have it set to 20 degrees right now. On warm days the lid on that side and the case itself (only on that side) is sweating. It hasn't always done this. I noticed it about a week ago.

When it was set to zero it was frosting up around the gasket area but nothing was wet.

Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?

I sat on it a couple times (200lbs) when I was moving stuff in the van around. I'm thinking I may have put that door out of alignment? It has adjustment screws on the hinges.

Thanks,
Bob