Born Free C Class question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventuregurl

Reaction score
I like that Born Free rigs are good quality. I just found a 24' 2002 with 87,000 miles and asking $27,000. It looks good but is that too much for a rig with these specs? She doesn't know the model. All I know is that it has new sparkplugs, oil and filter change, and new tires.

Any thoughts or ideas? I know NOTHING about rvs but have to start somewhere.

Find out the model # then Google "Born Free Model XYZ value". NADA Guides list values for RVs and there other sites.

Also check similar rig prices on RV Trader,etc.

Wait. A quick search with BASE options shows this:

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2002/Born-Free/Rear-Bath-24/3003083/Values

You need to plug in your zip code and what options it may have to get an accurate value but it looks like it's way overpriced.

Are you in California?

I just hit up the google and those things are kinda pricey!

Apparently they sell new for quite a premium price and they hang on to that value for awhile. 

But when you get right down to the 'nitty gritty'....its a 19 year old van and probably 19 year old appliances and systems....so as always, do your homework, and if you get serious, have an inspection done by someone you trust, and run the typical car-fax type report. 

In other words, due diligence. That's a lot of money, don't be in a hurry to spend it unless you are SURE you are making the right decision for you.

Just want to say that RV book values may and may not mean much right now. There are shortages now and prices can get quite inflated. Also, popular and well made older RVs regularly sell for more than their book values.

I should have said they SOLD for a premium price...since the company has apparently gone missing in action.

find a forum of owners. Ask where the pate that shows model, GVW, etc might be. Have owner find plate and text you a picture. Like buying a house. You negotiate either price or terms. If free and clear, see if seller will finance. Make an offer subject to inspection. Find out what your bank would loan on it. Use inspection report and NADA guides to negotiate price down. Find out thy they're selling. If super motivated, makes negotiation easier. With enough weasel clauses, you can use this as a negotiation experience to learn what to do.

Thanks everyone. I am not sure I should go and look at it. I asked the owner for the model number and he said he'd send it when he got a chance but so far hasn't sent it. The condition says "like new" but it's 2 hours away from me.

They are good rigs as far as I know, all fiberglass and have 3 roll bars etc. I know they sell for a premium. I'd be much happier if it was even 7 years newer.

I wish I had someone who knows what they're doing to find me a rig! It can risky trying to find one and some sell in lightening speed these days.

Adventuregurl said:
I asked the owner for the model number and he said he'd send it when he got a chance but so far hasn't sent it.

They are good rigs as far as I know, all fiberglass and have 3 roll bars etc. I know they sell for a premium. I'd be much happier if it was even 7 years newer.

It can risky trying to find one and some sell in lightening speed these days.

Working backwards on that NADA link to "Select year and model" you will see that there was only one 24' model, so as long as he's correct with that, you can go with that info on pricing.  Yes, it's a sellers market right now and you'll see some ridiculous prices on vans and RVs. Good luck.

slow2day said:
Working backwards on that NADA link to "Select year and model" you will see that there was only one 24' model, so as long as he's correct with that, you can go with that info on pricing.  Yes, it's a sellers market right now and you'll see some ridiculous prices on vans and RVs. Good luck.
So even if I paid $10,000 less than he's asking I'd be paying well over the average retail, as far as I can tell.

Ravella and X said:
Just want to say that RV book values may and may not mean much right now. There are shortages now and prices can get quite inflated. Also, popular and well made older RVs regularly sell for more than their book values.

I agree with this statement 100% with the current 'boom' in RV sales, both old and new, you are going to have a real hard time finding a decent RV anywhere close to the 'book value' online. I just went through several months of intensive online researching and shopping before finallly finding the right rig for me, also a Class-C, 2003, but a Gulf Stream Independence (24ft) - I paid 15k and the couple who sold it to me said they had offers for even more than they listed it at, which I was paying, no haggle or reduction in price. I consider myself lucky. I knew what I was getting into with the market right now, but I think I did really well on the one I found, it's extremely clean inside, no leaks, newish tires 2 years ago, and a brand new Onan generator too! 

I'm not familiar with the maker of the one you're looking at but the price seems pretty high and others have already advised on that. I was willing to go up to 18-20k for mine with my budget/savings so I wouldn't have to finance a more expensive rig and I'm lucky I had saved up a lot during the pandemic time to be able to do that. One valuable piece of advice I took to heart was only buy what I can afford now and upgrade that later when I've saved more. I'm really happy with the one I found and the price I paid.

Adventuregurl said:
I like that Born Free rigs are good quality. I just found a 24' 2002 with 87,000 miles and asking $27,000. It looks good but is that too much for a rig with these specs? She doesn't know the model. All I know is that it has new sparkplugs, oil and filter change, and new tires.

Any thoughts or ideas? I know NOTHING about rvs but have to start somewhere.

...and she's gone.. ;)     I was hoping she would come back and let us know how it all went... or how it didn't went as it were...