Boondockers United

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
x2 ^. give her a chance to get it worked out. then see if you want to join or not. highdesertranger

Technomad said:
Whoa, I never called it a scam and that implication isn’t right or fair.

OK I blew the semantics and it was actually a typo... apologies Technomad.

I meant to say this is not directed at Technomad, it is directed at whoever it was who called it a scam. (I am not going to name names here, people can read for themselves who said what.)

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I would have clarified this much sooner but I was out all day taking care of errands and wasn't near my computer.  :)

DesertRose said:
OK I blew the semantics and it was actually a typo... apologies Technomad.

No worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about capes?  I wanna wear a cape?  Do we get to wear capes?  Capes are soooo cool and they'll give us an official look.

BUMan.jpg

Cape is just part of the super suit! I encourage you to wear the whole thing!

This post sponsored by Disney’s The Incredibles II - coming this summer to a theater near you!

Edited by Moderator to remove unnecessary quote.

Good luck to you, tho I think I will stick to just volunteer and personal cleanups.

RVTravel said:
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-p...tion-requirements-section-501c3-organizations
"To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

Section 501(c)(3) organizations are restricted in how much political and legislative (lobbying) activities they may conduct."

Yes, there are restrictions. But meeting those restrictions is pretty easy.

I used to work for a not-for-profit that did advocacy work. Trust me, it's easy and straight-forward to stay within the legal law on this issue, and still make your voice heard in congress/state legislatures and in political campaigns.

Maybe Boondockers United can partner with another established non profit once the 501 issues are resolved. Subaru for example has traveling trainer/mentor programs specifically targeting public lands, parks, monuments, wilderness, etc..

Would it be possible to setup Subaru and Boondockers United as a 2019 RTR seminar for example?

The following link is for Subaru Corporation's "Leave No Trace" program. Not sure of the impact it might have on limited data users...

https://lnt.org/learn/traveling-teams

I don't think tax deductibility of donations is important for most of the target demographics.

The ability to advocate for boondocker's interests both wrt executive branch regs and legislation is IMO far more important.

There are many legal structures in between tax-deductible non-profit, and those intended for profit-making businesses.

Heck PACs seem to be able to do just about anything they want to :cool:

I did read they were applying for non profit status. That involves a good sized fee and legal paperwork. If they get it, then there are legal requirements for the state they are based in on board of directors, number of board members, meeting notes, etc that will have to be followed.

With everything I have heard so far, it would seem difficult to achieve that status.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank our new members for the overwhelmingly positive feedback. Please take a moment to review our goals for 2018.

*Non-profit status (becoming a 501c(3)
*Interviewing board members and key staff positions
*Increase our cleanup efforts to at least one each month
*Continue to monitor Bureau of Land Management policy changes
*Attend public BLM meetings, ensuring our concerns are addressed
*Securing corporate sponsorship for overhead costs and clean up efforts
*Develop an on-line newsletter for our members
*Open the Highway Emergency Life Line Project (H.E.L.L.P.)
(There will be a separate announcement explaining the workings of the H.E.L.L.P. program.)
Look for it soon.

We have also implemented a new membership policy. BU members who participate at a cleanup event will have their yearly membership fee waived!

Being welcomed in safe, cost-effective travel areas is going to continue into the future! We have begun receiving phone calls from private landowners welcoming our members for overnight camping. Keep your eye on the website for more information.

We look forward to working together to make camp, travel and the use of our national lands an even better experience! We continue to fine tune our organization to meet the needs of our members.

Thank you again for actively participating. Our future holds unlimited possibilities!

^^I like that waived fee for participation. Is there a mailing list to stay up on cleanup events?

We are working on the website as well and a special "Members Only" login section is being created. Clean up sites will be posted there.  We also send out email alerts called "Call to Action" and these tell our members where cleanup sites are.

Post edited for unnecessary quoting

If you opt to let nonmembers on the "Call to Action" list for cleanup events, I would be interested in being on that list. Thanks.