Bob moving into Capri truck camper?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do they do in cold weather? Are they considered 3 or 4 season campers? Any info on their insulation?

I'm interested in one. I'd probably go Bob's route and do a very barebones one, then add the specific things I need. Not interested in any type of plumbing beyond maybe a gravity fed system of plastic containers and a simple nozzle. No desire for a shower or toilet. I might opt for their catalytic heater, though. Thanks for any feedback!

mudbunny said:
Biggest problem is the mix of custom made and various manufacturer parts used. 

There are all sorts of aftermarket parts that are better than OEM parts. Many of those parts are made with the specific purpose of correcting a deficiency in an OEM part. And many of the parts installed at auto factories were made by companies that supply the same parts to other car manufacturers.

"There are all sorts of aftermarket parts that are better than OEM parts."

While I agree with this, you really must know what you are doing. If you just go to the parts store and ask for something more than likely they are going to sell you your typical POS part.

You really need to know what you are doing I cannot stress this enough.

Most replacement parts are junk.

Highdesertranger

^^^More people seem to be used factory parts than aftermarket, especially electrical components. Almost all RV components come from one supplier or are spec to one standard it seems as the smaller suppliers have been bought out.

I did a truck camper while I was a nomad for a year. Excellent option for most folks here, who will spend a lot of time in the open land and skies of the West. The 4x4 capability of a real truck (a 3/4 ton or 1 ton U.S. work truck), 2 axles, excellent ground clearance, and all the amenities of a small RV. On top of that, it's a painless setup to insure and register. Most states don't even require you to register a truck camper, since it counts as "cargo" because it sits in the bed, so you only need to register the truck. Most major insurance companies will insure your truck and camper with no issues. So no more playing cloak-and-dagger with insurance companies.

So what's not to love? Mainly two things: the price and the height. There are folks here who say they have $3,000 in a reliable van build. You cannot get a reliable 3/4 ton truck and a slide-in camper for that amount. Regarding the height, I wouldn't recommend a truck camper for people will mobility issues. There are some serious step-ups in most truck campers. Also, if you stay in the East, or anywhere where there are low bridges, forested areas with low branches, or urban areas with awnings that stick out, the risk is always there that you could hit something and damage your camper. I am currently in one of the areas of the country first inhabited by Europeans in New England, and this place is littered with covered bridges, low overpasses and bridges as low as 9 feet that were built hundreds of years ago. It was a nightmare getting around here with my truck camper.

I used to have a Ford pick up with a small camper on the back. That was back in the 70s. I liked it very much, but I did not like the fact that there is no passageway. You get disturbed in the middle of the night by someone, some thing, or some weather you have to go outside and walk around and get in the front. That’s one thing I’m really loving about my van I don’t have to do that. And now that I’m old and partially handicapped climbing up the steps in the back would be a lot harder than it used to be. More power to him he’s lived all sorts of different ways. I believe he used to live in a Truck camper that he built himself if I remember it was plywood painted black.

AnonymousDog said:
https://capricamper.com/

These are really neat and lightweight. A buddy and I have started building teardrops/squaredrop trailers for sale and I've been throwing around the idea to build truck campers as well but was concerned about being able to keep them lightweight enough. The idea was to be lightweight enough for a 1/2 ton truck but still solidly built. These guys are doing it so it can be done. Something to keep in mind.

T slot aluminum looks like a good way to go.

we never had an ounce of trouble with TC and driving but those are good points, with height and more

be sure you always buy one with a back door, never a side door LOL some TCs have side doors, ugh

we would unload ours off the truck when camping/boating. Easy on and off truly for such a big damn thing you are carrying on the bed of your truck. Harder when new to it LOL but once we 'got it' we could load and unload fast.

Not sure on insulation etc. on our Elkhorn. It was cozy, comfy for sure but our main time with it was fishing/boating in warm weather so? but few times we took it out in cold weather we were fine so?

Plus they hold good resale value. When we sold when kid was born we got great money for it. Alot of demand for a good TC, hunter guy bought ours.

DLTooley said:
This pop up with a cab over bed is an even simpler design, unfortunately the price is more. 

https://www.alu-cab.com/product/canopy-camper/
My idea is for a popup but fully and not just a tilt like these. It would have canvas sides so it wouldn't likely be as well insulated but I have an idea to help with that too. Now that I have a local fabricator I can use, if I used aluminum framing I think I could get the weight low enough to use it in a 1/2 ton pickup. After I get my current squaredrop built I may have to make this my next project.

As far as IF Bob were to get a truck/camper I know he's said in the past that he really likes the Toyotas (+4wd?)..............FWIW

I love my TC rig but the draw backs are as noted above, height of entry as I lose mobility (some safety hacks help delay that) and I have a med duty truck so everything about it is beefy and heavy...which is also the best thing about the truck.

Rig is about 10ft in height

I have studied need vs want of cab thru and although I would love to have one, I don't need it where I travel.

Attachments

• 20200309_072931.jpg
    20200309_072931.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
No thanks on climbing in and out of that rig a dozen times a day. That's for young folks.

My van is tough enough at my age.

AnonymousDog said:
 It would have canvas sides so it wouldn't likely be as well insulated but I have an idea to help with that too.
AD, you could take 1" foam hardboard  (R-6) and cover with fabric for durability and good looks. (glued on) Very strong. Add hook and loop for sticking them in place. Glue the H&L to canvas and panels  with GOOP adhesive so they stay put. (The glue on the H&L is weak  if your not sticking them on plexiglass)  About7/8/9 manageable panels you could have the camper  insulated pretty quickly. Minimal hassle factor. I did this once with a DIY 5x7 pop up camper that rose 24 inches, worked great.  Number them.

Camper said:
No thanks on climbing in and out of that rig a dozen times a day.  That's for young folks.

My van is tough enough at my age.
I am 68 and manage pretty well. A 4 step climb but it's certainly not a luxurious setup, haha.

No thanks on climbing in and out of that rig a dozen times a day. That's for young folks.

-----Yea I hear ya, too funny!!!!!

worse is the bed. climbing up and then up and over another person. 2 people in a TC is tight and frustrating if you are the one stuck on the inside part of the bed and have to do the climbing over LOL
we hated it!

Our standup homemade topper that doesn’t go over the cab has two beds down the sides and one across the front over our feet for the grandkids. Separating toilet is in the front of the isle between the beds under the kids bed. When choosing an RV to full time in it is important to know what your priorities are. As in a good nights sleep and easy access to the toilet.

bullfrog said:
choosing an RV to full time in it is important to know what your priorities are. 
absolutely!  the first and foremost
floorplan on how you will function and 1...2 or more in any small space is key for an enjoyable life.
every time we changed rv's it was ONLY cause floorplan did not suit how we changed as a family.
SO YEA!!!   key item here! :)

to me it is number 1 and not one doubt about that :)

Latest posts