Bob moving into Capri truck camper?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringer4

Reaction score
Howdy folks.

I've heard Bob speak about Capri truck campers at least twice in a couple recent videos.

However, I can't find where he originally spoke about his plans to move into a TC. Does anyone have any info? I'm fascinated by truck campers, and would love to hear Bob's take on them (why he would pursue one vs his trusty van, etc.). Did he mention or discuss his plans at length in any of his recent videos? Thanks very much!

Bob has always talked about a truck camper. I believe because you can get a 4x4 truck, after all that is what he was in when he came down to the lower 48.

If you go way back to the beginning of the forum and the You Tube channel, He mentions it often.

Before everyone says you can get a 4x4 van. No, no you can't. you can get a All Wheel Drive(AWD) not the same as a 4x4 or a conversion. conversions are a bad choice IMO.

Highdesertranger

Thanks for the responses.

I was surprised to see him moving away from his van. He referenced this decision in a few of his recent videos (particularly the most recently Q&A one), and he spoke as if he had already discussed the topic at length elsewhere. I must have missed it. Was just hoping to see him discuss his own opinion on the pros/cons of trucks versus vans, and what made him go with Capri. Thanks!

conversions are a bad choice IMO. said:
Highdesertranger
i've heard you say this so often that when my nephew mentioned he was thinking of doing
a 4x4 conversion on his old van, i quickly stated "I've heard that is a bad idea." ;)

hahahaha. Yeah I have had the displeasure of working on more than a few. I know someone who worked for one the major conversion companies before...................................................... they went out of business leaving anybody that bought one of their conversions up the creek.

Highdesertranger

Biggest problem is the mix of custom made and various manufacturer parts used. Not all Chevy conversion parts are GM and likewise for others. Have fun at NAPA. Besides, can you imagine using Ford parts on a Chev. Magic smoke maybe.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

American Motors was a mess of mixed parts.

Some 1990 model school buses have complete front axles and brake assemblies that were special ordered as a limited production run by the Brazilian Army so when International needed to get rid of the extras they used them on Kentucky’s large school bus order!

I steer clear of anything International, there old Gas motors were second to none, but after IH split-up I don't care for anything International built.

OK sh o back to the original question...does anyone know more about Bob Wells plans to switch to a truck camper.

I am wondering if it has to do with that bad installation of the hightop roof.

I just bought an Alpicool 12v fridge in part because of Bob’s review, which I actually watched him film. I like the design, but it’s running 80% of the time to maintain 33 degrees Fahrenheit in 75 ambient.

Bob has a valid take on many things, but you’ll get better advice here if you can sort it out.

FWIW the dead 3.5 year old Dometic with maybe 14 months of use is a good example of what is way to common in the rv market. It’s not engineered obsolescence but engineered failure designed to get in your pocket.

Corporate park host downscale Quartzsite Bob is not immune. A TC would be an improvement, but an empty cargo box or shuttle van on a truck chassis might be even better.

You cant fault the man for wanting a nice, ready outfitted, home on the road. It is not as if he has a lot of spare time to build out something. Plus he is not all that skilled at carpentry work and seems to lack patience for such things. Basing that opinion on the projects he himself has done and shown on his channel. As I recall he also has some physical disabilty reharding his arm so that would likely make it difficult for him to do an extensive build.

I took a look at the website for the campers. Not as generic looking as the average truck campers inside or outside.

Actually Bob said he's ordering the Capri totally empty.....He'll "build" what he wants inside.......No Plumbing, electric, furniture

Bob mentioned having the truck and the Capri maybe in the Fall (because he didn't want to go to Texas in the middle of the summer).

Is there a video where he discusses this in greater depth? I'm aware of the general pros/cons of vans versus TCs, etc., but I'd like to get Bob's specific take on it. Thanks to anyone who can point me to the video where he first discussed this!

abnorm said:
Actually Bob said he's ordering the Capri totally empty.....He'll "build" what he wants inside.......No Plumbing, electric, furniture
Do you know what kind of truck he wants?  Of course it will be gas and a Chevy 4x4 but a half-ton, three-quarter-ton or one-ton truck?  Silverado 1500, Silverado 2500 or Silverado 3500?

SLB_SA said:
Do you know what kind of truck he wants?  Of course it will be gas and a Chevy 4x4 but a half-ton, three-quarter-ton or one-ton truck?  Silverado 1500, Silverado 2500 or Silverado 3500?

I believe he said he wanted a 3/4 ton... so a Silverado 2500.

https://capricamper.com/

These are really neat and lightweight. A buddy and I have started building teardrops/squaredrop trailers for sale and I've been throwing around the idea to build truck campers as well but was concerned about being able to keep them lightweight enough. The idea was to be lightweight enough for a 1/2 ton truck but still solidly built. These guys are doing it so it can be done. Something to keep in mind.

Capri is nice

we owned an Elkhorn
loved that thing, got the bigger overhang
had wet bath etc. and all the luxuries and nice thing is we could be off the ground and self contained and pull our boat at the same time. TCs are fab when ya wanna drag along something else. Once 'the kid' came the TC became very very small LOL