Blanket power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Not even in the remotest sense would that power a 12 volt blanket. It would take hundreds of those connected together to do that.

Watts = amp times volts. When you have those numbers, then you can figure out how much battery it would take to power a specific item. If math isn't your strong suit, there are a ton of online calculators that figure that stuff out for you. I use them frequently.

Let me save you lots of aggravation and expense by telling you what does work!

Hot water bottles!  

The longer answer is that Nalgene bottles can be poured full of boiling water and stuffed into an old wool boot sock that will keep you warm all night!

A 2 liter bottle will also work, but care must be taken to not melt the cap so water needs to be below boiling point!  The 2 liter bottle has a lot of BTU’s in it and is quite impressive!

The sock slows down the release of the heat so it doesn’t burn you and so that it will last longer!  It also will catch some water should the lid fail you and it start dripping!  Drips for the Nalgene means it’s not tight enough and it means it’s too tight or too hot for the 2 liter bottle!

Hot water is easy to make by many methods and can be sourced pretty much anywhere!

SD

Thank you so much! I will definitely focus on this instead!!!!

Canine said:
No. Not even in the remotest sense would that power a 12 volt blanket. It would take hundreds of those connected together to do that.

Watts = amp times volts. When you have those numbers, then you can figure out how much battery it would take to power a specific item. If math isn't your strong suit, there are a ton of online calculators that figure that stuff out for you. I use them frequently.
I appreciate you clarifying that! Yes— I struggle with understanding all this, so it helps tremendously for others to say NO! Don’t do that! Thank you!!!!

Got the “Heat Seeking Missile” (wife) through the storm of the century in an all electric apartment by wading through waist deep snow to fill a 2 liter bottle with hot water at a laundromat’s gas water heater’ pop off valve!  

She got sold on them after that and we’ve been many a morning with ice on the inside of the bedroom windows with no problems!

These years later I control my own heat resources, but we also use the Nalgene often in our cold mountain winter!

SD

Another option that does not require an external heat source is HotHands body warmers.
https://hothands.com/products/

Not great from an ecological point of view, being single use, but they got me through last winter. I put them in my sleeping bag and they are so hot I had to start putting the little sachet thing inside a sock because I woke up with a mild burn one morning! I also put one inside a sock in my dog's bed because she was shivering (it was in the 40s inside my van, 20s outside). This winter I'm going to try putting one inside a crocheted bag along with a Nalgene full of hot water. I'll be so warm, I might have to open the windows ;-)

The Dire Wolfess

Thank you so much ! I love hearing your experiences and it is so very helpful to me! I will definitely be getting a Nalgene bottle and those hot hands! Last year getting out to the RTR was just too cold without something more than a warm sleeping bag.

I would look for an old down filled mattress, pillows and comforter,  once it warms up... it stays hot all night....

great for cold nights, but not so much for a warmer climate

jT