Blacking out Conversion Van windows easy while insulating them

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWhale

Reaction score
I wished I found these before instead of doing the cardboard cutting and taping on construction paper that was really time consuming. Taking them on and off was a pain too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Costco has the same ones on sale right now at $11 for 8 pieces.

These rubber puzzle mats fits almost perfectly in the 3 conversion van big windows. They're just a little short and lets a thin strip of light in at the top. I'll probably tape a strip of construction paper up top. Sideways, I'd have to cut one as two is too long. Then cut out a rectangular piece where the sliding screen door is. The thick rubber should allow it to snap back into place for total blackout.

For the 4 smaller square and 2 front side windows, I found some foam boards at Dollar Tree that were already black. Wished I found these before too.

The insulation should be much better than cardboard cutouts and easier to pop on and off for views.

I dunno, the windows in my conversion minivan are all weirdly shaped, some are almost S patterned, all have weird angles and swoops.

I came up with a way I think will work well (havent started it yet)

I got a bunch of black felt
I will cut a peice of felt to go around the window by about 2 inches (does not need to be exact)
I will tape the felt around the window, then use a white fabric penicil and trace the window on the felt.
I will then fold the felt to the exact dimentions of the window and tape it down.
I will then use the felt as a template to cut the foil lined packing material (same stuff used on sunscreens, a huge roll costs about 40 bucks) into the exact dimentions of the window.
I will un-tape the felt, then spray aerosol adhesive on the foil packing material, and place the packing material directly on the white pencil lines,
Last I will spray around the edges of the other side of the packing material and fold the 2 inches of felt around it.

for extra credit I will add magnetic tape around the corners of the windows, and inside the corners of the felt/cut out packing material, as well as cutting out another slightly larger than the window peice of felt and gluing that to the still partially silvered side. lastly adding a small strip of velcro all around the window and all around that larger peice of felt.

with that the window blocks will fit perfectly into the window, go up in a second with the magnetic tape, and the velcro lined over-edge will block out 100% of all light, if I want to see out my windows they can easily be rolled up, and if I want to add more tinting, they should be great templates for the tint film as well...

It's some work... but they dont sell anything as exacting as I want this to be. It's really important to me that 0 light gets out from inside.

One concern I have though... I'm not sure how condensation will effect things. I think the felt will absorb it or if it's well insulated and slightly vented inside no condensation will happen... but I am a little worried about that.

Reflectix cut to shape, a wee bit bigger than window opening for a press fit. Then paint one side black. The Reflectix is light enough that it will stay in place with just a press fit. And the silver side facing in reflects whatever light source you use, making the interior brighter. I think the rubber mats would need to be held in place with something else because they're heavy and limp.

The black felt sounds good to get all the little specs of light crevices. I also like how it can roll up small when you want a view. The spray glue seems messy though. How does that spray glue work? Does it leave residue and such? Is it permanently gluing your black felt curtain to the window at the top and then you're rolling it up for the view?

I like the Reflectix cut too. What's the cost on these for an average conversion van with 3 big windows, 4 small ones and 2 in the front? When you squeeze them into the window cracks, do they keep all light from bleeding out at night in total darkness? This sounds good for me and I may ditch the rubber mats. It's kind of a pain to yank out and put back these rubber mats.

These rubber mats are pretty stiff and stay upright when squeezed into the window cracks to stay in place. The original size is too small for the big window's height but part of the conversion van window shade frame holds it in place. I need to cut one and puzzle it with a full one to fit the entire width. The thickness of the rubber should work better for winter insulation compared to the thin felt or the Reflectix. The downside is that when removed for sunshine and view, these mats are huge and cumbersome. Maybe I'll just place them on the floor.

I despise the smell of Chinese rubber products sold from Harbor freight. I can't imagine heating them up and breathing those fumes.

I did the dual layered cardboard with black construction paper and the paper faded to a light grey in a few months. I spray painted them flat black with barbeque grill high heat paint and let them bake in sunlight till they no longer smelled. No stink, and they are invisible once again.

I am happy with their insulative and light blocking qualities, but it was a lot of work initially.

I cut a piece of 1/8 inch wood veneer black, and screwed it to the inside frame of the window. Since the windows were already tinted, it made them invisible. I am thinking of spray painting the plastic window sills black befor I build the cabinets. I more than likely will leave them alone, as a possible sale down the road that will drop the value. In sunlight the windows are black and you walk right past them.

One side is the wood, and the other side is flat black spray paint. I will do this to both back windows, and the side windows I will custom cut wood and insulation to fit when I am parked. I need to be able to see to drive.

Attachments

• IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 112
There's no smell to these mats, surprisingly, as almost everything rubber from Harbor Freight smells of uncured rubber.

GrayWhale said:
I like the Reflectix cut too. What's the cost on these for an average conversion van with 3 big windows, 4 small ones and 2 in the front? When you squeeze them into the window cracks, do they keep all light from bleeding out at night in total darkness? This sounds good for me and I may ditch the rubber mats. It's kind of a pain to yank out and put back these rubber mats.

I just got the reflectix covers for my conversion van - 3 big ones, 4 small ones in the back. A 48" x 25 foot roll was plenty (get a 48" roll, not 24" - seems the big windows are 26"H x 48"W). Paid $40 for the roll, still have enough left to do the windshield and cooler insulation.
Downside is they are very flexible, so they don't stay well. My van already had venetian blinds so those keep the reflectix in place.
Almost perfect blackout this way, a sliver of light gets in. Then I have a curtain to seperate the back area.

For tape, I didn't want to use duct tape as it leaves a sticky residue which is surprisingly hard to clean. I then went to painters' tape as it is made to not leave a residue, but it isn't very sticky at all and is translucent.

Am now using metal foil tape. It is 100% opaque, conforms very well to uneven surfaces, is easy to work with as it has a paper backing that needs to be peeled off, and sticks fairly well especially to smooth, clean surfaces. I don't know what clean up will be like, but I suspect it won't be near as bad as duct tape. I like it a lot so far, but time will tell; I've been using it for 3 weeks is all.

I'm going magnetic, just too many times I want to take the blockers off when camping, etc.

and again... the idea of putting fly eye peep holes in the window blocks is just too good to pass up.

Blue said:
I'm going magnetic, just too many times I want to take the blockers off when camping, etc.

and again... the idea of putting fly eye peep holes in the window blocks is just too good to pass up.

HMMM.. Food for thought. I have an old magnetic company sign that would work...I think I will unroll it and see,

We don't have any problem with Refletix staying in place without tape. Its thicker than those silver windshield screens so press fit seems to work well.
I had cut some large pieces for up front at first. Tho I had cut them carefully and they fit snug, they seemed to sorta shrink a tiny bit after being in place a few days. When I got around to cutting some for other windows I made sure they were a tad big and those work better.
The 2 big (48"X42") windshield pieces are held in place with carbon fiber rods (like used on kites) that are cut just long enough to cause a slight bow.

I've had enough of sticking tabs of velcro, magnets, and tape all over the place. Over time these things come loose and the gunk is hard to clean off.

Funny part is, I spent a crap load on window coverings and we really only needed them a few nights this winter and I've already put them away for the season. Bet if I hadn't spent the money it would have been a nasty winter in the desert.

Hope this works for you too.

I just buy the magnetic tape from fabric places or walmart.

OK, my rubber mats idea is pretty bad. They are difficult to take off and put back on, especially with the little conversion van window with the screen that has a handle that protrudes outward. I'm going the Reflectix route.

Try whatever method you choose on 1 window before cutting for them all. Some windows, like the screened one, might need something else.
Make a plan to reduce waste...it comes in 24-36-48". Silver tape is best for seams.

Good luck.

Cheap black yoga/exercise mats are good insulation, and cut easily. They make good emergency gaskets too.

MrNoodly said:
Reflectix cut to shape, a wee bit bigger than window opening for a press fit. Then paint one side black. The Reflectix is light enough that it will stay in place with just a press fit. And the silver side facing in reflects whatever light source you use, making the interior brighter. I think the rubber mats would need to be held in place with something else because they're heavy and limp.

I like this idea, I am using the floor rubber mats that are ridged enough to stand up, the edges are like puzzle pieces.... and I slipped them infront of my shades on the van and wella no glue tape or anything needed, I do have a 1 1/2 inch gap at the top but I can live with that but it is dark.... maybe I can put some reflecrix on the inside of the mats....hmmmmm