Bike campers are giving nomads a new way to travel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I wouldn't want to tour with a bike camper, if being out on a bike turned into a long term thing, some kind of camper might be a better solution than typical bike touring gear.

I've worked on designing a bike camper made out of foam insulasion that would be light weight. The big disadvantage would be wind resistance and size would be limited to about 3x8 feet.

This would be an adventure for sure! I would have to cheat of course and go with an electric bike with lightweight bendable solar panels build...lol.

I think a bike campers usefulness would be limited to smaller travel area than a bike equipped for touring. I'm not sure I would go much farther than the city limits!

I got curious so I asked the great google. I found a number of RV bicyclists out there. Quite a few are house-less;but, not by choice. Mostly they don't do long distance touring. But may go longer distances if forced.

I have a friend that has been at the last two RTRs and he has been living off his bike for the last tow years!!! No fossil fuels, no home!!

He doesn't have a camper or trailer--he's a true minimalist!!!!

He stays in local areas for a long time. It's inconceivable to me, but he's been in Quatzsite for a year now. However, if he has to travel long distance, he puts the bike on a train or bus and uses it. But he only does that once a year or so.

It can be done. If it were me, I'd move between Flagstaff and Qiartzsite twice a year on the bus. That would be 1000 times more comfortable.
Bob

I think it may have been in either Portland or Eugene Oregon that I saw a number of mini covered wagon looking bike campers. Never got an inside look, but some of them were painted up bright and cute.

Parked beside a lake in the Portland area, I met a guy with a 4 wheel, pedal powered motorhome. It had electric assist and a gas generator. It was the coolest thing I think I've ever seen, and had every amenity imaginable in a very small package, but due to the design it didn't look cramped. The kitchen was under the bed, which flipped up and both sides had sliding doors to give you access to the kitchen, and/or seating. It was designed to only sleep one, but 3 people could sit sofa style comfortably. One end of the bed flipped up for the toilet, and other parts of the bed flipped up to create the drivers seat or lounge chair. I was VERY impressed.

3x8 would still beat a tent in many ways. I don't think wind RESISTANCE is the main issue, since it would be difficult to go fast enough for that to be a problem. But catch either a headwind or a sidewind, and you've got a substantial sail.

Cry said:
This would be an adventure for sure! I would have to cheat of course and go with an electric bike with lightweight bendable solar panels build...lol.

I WAS going to say, "not without a motor, I won't", but you've gone one better with the solar. Now THAT's green.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Parked beside a lake in the Portland area, I met a guy with a 4 wheel, pedal powered motorhome.  It had electric assist and a gas generator.

Aw, now you've gone and got me thinking. I don't suppose you snapped a picture of it.

brightbluejim said:
Aw, now you've gone and got me thinking.  I don't suppose you snapped a picture of it.

Sorry, no pictures.  But fairly vivid memories.

Patrick46 said:

Hehe I've met and spoken with Brian, and his rig really didn't impress me much.  His tales of traveling were much more interesting than his rig was to me.

His rig was basically an empty shell, just a roof to sleep under, and a pplace to store his belongings.  No amenities.

For livability, some of Paul Elkins stuff looks a lot more user friendly.

http://www.elkinsdiy.com/mobile-shelters/bicycle-camper/

http://www.elkinsdiy.com/mobile-shelters/micro-airstream-bike-camper/

http://www.elkinsdiy.com/stationary-shelters/homeless-emergency-shelter/

Id think the little tear drop one would be doable if it wasn't made out of wood, but some lighter plastic.