Biggest Stealth Fails

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One evening coming into Pittsburgh, I pulled into a small dirt lot, off the hi-way, surrounded and blocked on 3 sides with no signage at all. I woke in the morning to a lot full of cars boxing me in. My surprise was no one disturbed me, the obvious intruder to a local place.

I saw this at work and I thought it was funny. Ok, so it's not a van, nor is it very stealth but funny, I think.
0866aa37745e0af840f1413c96d3b451.jpg

But not as funny as the guys response.
So I see this truck a couple times before I decided to stop and take a pic.
I make the guy the hand sign to take a picture. He doesn't understand so he opens the door.
I ask, "do you mind if a take picture?"
"Take picture?" He mumbles back in broken English.
"Yes," I replied. "Of that phrase on the side of the truck."
"Mumble, something or other. Truck?"
"Yes, those letters, I think they're funny!"
"What funny?"
"That!" I pointed at the words written on the sleeper. "I think they are funny. Mind if I take a picture?"
"Why you think they funny?" He says with a straight face.
At this point I figured trying to explain why it was funny was futility on my part, so I ask again if I could take a picture and the guy, being very nice, if not clueless on why I would want to take a picture of him looking out the window, gave me the okay.
Funny...

Ps, read the letters on the truck!

I'm a noob, so please excuse me if what i'm saying doesnt jive with common terms or culture....

I was looking for a van, (e150 or the like, to gut and make the way i wanted), but what I found was a deal that was beyond unbelievable, so I took that instead.

Tink (short for Tinkerbell) is a 2002 21ft chinook, triton v10, fully self-contained, ac, generator, excellent fit & finish, inside & out. The whole shebang if you will. Well, she is 1,000x more than what I was hoping for. And at a price several times lower than the pieces of junk I was targeting as "ideal" - so it was impossible to say no.

That said, you can see why my desired modus operandi "Stealth" is a total freaking joke. But still, I can pretend, can't I?? lol

I have had two major stealth fails, both in neighborhoods, involving local police banging on the sides of my fiberglass beauty in the middle of the night (her name is Tink I tell ya, and she don't like being beat on!) ... demanding of me what the heck was I doing there!!!

In neither case did they ask me to leave that night (after hearing that I was to tired or sleepy, dangerous to drive, or some-such). One even told me that they stop patrolling after 10 (hinting to pick my spot after that time).

I have also had another fail, I was cooking dinner inside at about 8pm, in a VERY VERY rural, hidden away, day use area. The county sheriff was pretty cool, told me that the area was closed after 7pm and that he expected me to not be there the next night, which was consistent with my plans anyway. (And now that I think about it: I likely told him i arrived in the area a day early, and my friends / hosts werent expecting me til tomorrow, which was 97.3% true)

that's my exciting non-stealth stealth-fail stories. Sorry, they were real yawners werent they?? lol But that is how I like to keep my life these days.

Peace n Joy to all my peers in FREEDOM & HAPPINESS,
flailer

I was at a public park after dark the other day - you know, the kind with signs everywhere announcing the park closes after 10, how most of the spots are reserved for 4 hours parking under penalty of tow and yada yada. My curiousity noticed the decidedly non-stealth motorhome parked neatly in a spot away from the signs, in full view of a busy road. Clearly bedded down for the night.

I ended up waiting in my car on other things for a while, and presently a van pulled in and decided to park itself directly next to the motorhome.

No one got out.

A smile slowly crept across my face as I sat there, realizing a "stealth" vandweller had strategically parked next to an obvious RV as a good spot to camp for the night. No one else would have even noticed.

I was tickled to confirm my suspicion when hours later all was the same: peaceful, silent, not bothering anyone. I mentally wished them well as I headed out.

Bitty said:
I was at a public park after dark the other day - you know, the kind with signs everywhere announcing the park closes after 10, how most of the spots are reserved for 4 hours parking under penalty of tow and yada yada. My curiousity noticed the decidedly non-stealth motorhome parked neatly in a spot away from the signs, in full view of a busy road. Clearly bedded down for the night.

I ended up waiting in my car on other things for a while, and presently a van pulled in and decided to park itself directly next to the motorhome.

No one got out.

A smile slowly crept across my face as I sat there, realizing a "stealth" vandweller had strategically parked next to an obvious RV as a good spot to camp for the night. No one else would have even noticed.

I was tickled to confirm my suspicion when hours later all was the same: peaceful, silent, not bothering anyone. I mentally wished them well as I headed out.

[emoji2][emoji106][emoji106][emoji561][emoji604][emoji736]