Big Blue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kycat1

Reaction score
<p>Jerry, knowing you are starting off on a new adventure, how bout keeping everyone up to date on where you are, things you see and do. And don't forget the pictures.&nbsp;As well as places you feel are van friendly to park and or shower, ect.&nbsp; I know i for one would be interested in your daily adventures as i have&nbsp; been there and done that in another day and time. Looking foward to seeing Ya on the road. Roy</p>

Ok Roy, if you think it might help someone. A little over a year ago, Hilda and I bought a very used 1996 E150 Conversion Van. White. Needed windshield, tires, brakes, shocks, tune up. And a good polishing. But, it was only $2500. Out of work for several years, but always looking and trying. Prepared the van to be "homeless", traveling&nbsp;job applicants. This site, thanks to Bob and all who contribute provided so much good info.&nbsp;Moved to Portland, OR area where I found a good truck driving school. For anyone really needing a job, check the transportation, storage businesses in your area. All indicators are that demand is increasing for good drivers. Many companies hire you and send you through their schools for free. However, they "own" you until you pay back the "fees". Not my first choice, but works for some people.&nbsp;I went to a private school,&nbsp;and expect to make&nbsp;low pay for at least a year with any company. With experience, the wages go up. But, I got to choose where I applied.&nbsp;<br>Have been hired by a company based in WA, but with a terminal in the Portland area. Start orientation&nbsp;for 4 days on Monday. Home for Christmas, then with a company trainer for about a month. THEN, finally, if I don't screw&nbsp;up too much, I will be assigned a truck. Hilda and I plan on living on the road together&nbsp;in the truck with a lot of the&nbsp;helpful things purchased and tried in the van this past year.&nbsp;Like the Edgestar fridge/freezer no covered with an extra inch of foam insulation. (And, thus my recent question re. "tethering" phone to laptop)&nbsp;We hope to save&nbsp;money to buy that "home base" piece of property and a trailer to pull behind the van.&nbsp;Two of us in one fairly small van&nbsp;is a bit crowded!&nbsp;A RoadTrek "wannabe"!&nbsp; Sheesh! guess I should start a blog! Special thanks to Bob Wells for this site! If anyone meets him in the Sierras like we did, he is also very, very helpful&nbsp;suggesting places to boondock. Wish we could be at RTR, but will give a loud "honk" if passing by! jbandhilda<br><br>