Bicycle Racks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikeBoomer

Reaction score
I am interested in knowing what kind of racks people use on their vans for bicycles.  What kind and brand do you recommend?  If you have pictures that would be great!

I use a 1upUSA rack to secure my Fatbike. But it wasn't cheap.

Swagman RV Ladder rack for when I want easy access, the bike is dirty or leaving the bike unfolded (Bike Friday), otherwise I have a sliding drawer under the bed that fits the bike when it's folded.
Ted

I use Yakima and have made it work on four vehicles in the past 18 yrs. I have the towers (crossbar supports) for a vehicle with & without gutters as well as factory rack fitment. I've also used the roof top rack in a pick up bed using the same principle that I'll use on a cargo trailer. Basically it's "use what you have" thinking that keeps me from purchasing another rack system. Customizing is easy with Yakima components as my crossbars are essentially 1" coated pipe. When I purchased the Yakima Bike Rack it was called Lockjaw. It'll also work on a hitch mounted cargo rack if I have any say.

We recently got the Rockymounts Backstage 2rack. It's a swing-away hitch rack that accommodates two bikes -- including fat tire bikes up to 5". Best part for us is that it has capacity to hold 60 pound bikes, which means our two Rad Rover electrics can be carried on the back of the truck, while it easily swings away so we can get in the pop-up camper without removing the bikes.

We just finished a 1,200+ drive without any issues. Highly recommended.

VanKitten said:
This one on a front hitch mount.   This was welded on after a near accident last week

It looks like the wheels do not interfere with the headlights at all.  Having a mount on the front seems to be a good option.

breeze said:
Pics, Pics, we need more Pics!

:D
This is how it looks when traveling.  It swings away (very easily).  It also tilts down, though I don't have any need to use that feature.

iEEBYiVl.jpg

I have found for me traveling on a lot of dirt roads that most bike racks fall apart. I would suggest the beefier aluminum platforms people use for small motorcycles/scooters. Much beefier build and can hold other items if needed. They would require bolting an upright bar to them to hold bike up or some tie down straps.
About $80-130 depending on if you want steel or aluminum.

[img=160x230]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/213BZG2NveL.jpg[/img]

KAthy...

Beware. State troopers might not like that your license plate isn't visible.

Before you hit the road....move that plate tomthe bumper or above the bikes.

VanKitten said:
KAthy...

Beware.   State troopers might not like that your license plate isn't visible.

Thanks.  No one has minded so far, but it's just a matter of time!

Itripper said:
I have found for me traveling on a lot of dirt roads that most bike racks fall apart. I would suggest the beefier aluminum platforms people use for small motorcycles/scooters.

Do you know if they are available on Amazon?