Beware of Harvey

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
Tropical storm Harvey - which may, or may not - strengthen to the level of a Category 1 Hurricane, is expected to drop record breaking amounts of rain on the TX/LA coastline.  10 to 15 inches are possible, maybe more.  The Governor of Texas has declared a State of Emergency in 30 counties.

Any of the tribe in that area needs plans to deal with this.

Oh, I thought you meant Jimmy Stewart's friend. .. phew...

I was thinking Paul Harvey was going to tell us the rest of the story. ;)

Be safe all

Optimistic Paranoid said:
You should also beware of people who have imaginary friends . . .

My pink, polka dot elephant friend Bunny says he resents that; ... at least I think that's what he said (I had a little bit to drink so might be slightly off)

I would rather have 6'3" Harvey next to me than Harvey the Hurricane.

I don't willingly go where there is a "season" for disasters. Especially when that season is accompanied by incredibly miserable heat and humidity.

That makes no sense to me.

akrvbob said:
I don't willingly go where there is a "season" for disasters. Especially when that season is accompanied by incredibly miserable heat and humidity.

Not everyone here is a nomad vagabond.  Some people in vans live where their families and jobs are.

IIRC, you spent your first few years living in a truck in Alaska to be near your son.

A large part of TX is going to get messed up real bad from this storm! Storm surge,flooding and winds are going to hit the coast hard. The storm is supposed to park itself over the state for about 5 days and dump at least 20" of rain everywhere, which means major flooding throughout the state. If you can evacuate, do so for safety. My buddy full times in Corpus Christi. They hitched up 2 days ago and headed west to the TX/NM border to ride it out. Hes retired Coast Guard and told me this morning " I don't play with Mother Nature....she always wins"!

akrvbob said:

My thoughts exactly!

gsfish said:
Those making light of this situation must have never been in a storm like this. Pictures here of the worst I've been in.
http://www.2004hurricanes.com/misc-ivan-photos.html

After this is over there will be many opportunities for temporary work for anyone with construction experience, equipment operating, tree removal, boat recovery, insurance adjusting.....  Many volunteers needed as well.

Guy

PS: For those in the market for a fixer upper there will be auctions of storm damaged boats as well as many for free.

To be clear,  I wasn't making light of the storm,  merely the name.   And I have been IA a few.  

If it sounded like I was,  and gave offense, I apologize.   

Pat

Btw, it's not just TX that's going to take a hit from Harvey.  LA is gonna be bad too.  New Orleans is worrying that their pumping stations won't keep up with the flooding.

While it was originally above sea level when they first built it, it's currently between 1 and 2 feet below sea level now.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Btw, it's not just TX that's going to take a hit from Harvey.  LA is gonna be bad too.  New Orleans is worrying that their pumping stations won't keep up with the flooding.

While it was originally above sea level when they first built it, it's currently between 1 and 2 feet below sea level now.

Oh no! That sucks!