Best wood protection for in a van build? (oil, lacquer, etc)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
I'm almost to the point where I can start thinking about what I want to use to protect all the wood I put into my build (except the floor, I put vinyl sheet flooring on that.)

I used pretty decent wood throughout it, so I don't want to just paint it all and cover up the natural wood. What do people like to use to protect the wood in their builds? I'm kind of leaning towards something oil based because it would be easier to touch up down the road than something like lacquer, and I don't want to be cooped up in a little van with a bunch of lacquer off-gassing. Oil seems like it would give off less harmful fumes after I apply it.

I used water based polyurethane to protect my ALL white van interior.

i do know that oil based leaves a yellowish tint.. that may be something to consider.

I was thinking about like an actual oil, not an oil based product, like this.

I don't see a lot of people using this. Maybe not up for the job of protecting wood in rough use? I dunno.

Most of the wood is birch with a little pine, so it's pretty light and I'm not too worried if the product darkens it just a little.

Doesn't it depend upon what you're trying to protect it from?

It is hard to beat semi-gloss white acrylic exterior water based house paint for water protection, light reflection and repair/repaint. Easy to spot places you missed or didn’t coat well enough. If you get a gouge, scratch or discolored spot just spot paint if you use semi-gloss you won’t be able to easily tell and cheap and easy enough to roll the whole panel.

I'm more of a paint fan because the wood I use is cheap and not particularly attractive, and because there are far more paint color options. But if I wanted the wood to show through, I'd go with acrylic stain-sealer.

As for tung oil, it's more work. Multiple coats to wipe on and off. I could get into it if it was for some finely crafted item, like a gun stock, guitar, or cabinet. Otherwise, I have other ways I'd rather spend my time.

Water base polyurethane, multiple coats. Oil base takes longer to dry and longer between coats and more fumes (outgassing). Both wear equally. You will want to repaint from time to time if you haul any heavy objects (scratches are inevitable).

I also used white primer in garage and storage areas. You will want all wood surfaces to be waterproof.
-crofter