best way to power 31' travel trailer off grid?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completelyhis

Reaction score
We're trading in our '93 Sportmobile conversion van for a 31' travel trailer. i had rigged our sportsmobile with a bank of batteries, an inverter, and solar/generator, and alternator charging. we were able to live off grid without ever running out of power. My understanding is that travel trailers aren't really meant to be like that. For instance, does it run on mostly 12v, mostly 110v...? (it's a 2008 dutchman). 

My instinct tells me i'll need to get more solar, more batteries, and a bigger inverter (maybe a generator as a backup) and be prepared to power the whole system as if I was plugged into shore power - but again, i don't know much about the difference between travel trailers and conversion vans :). looking forward to the great collective wisdom found here.

I conserve power as much as possible. I run my 30 foot TT with a 160 watt Zamp solar suitcase. I have two 12 volt 89 AH batteries.

During the day I charge a couple small $10 batteries that charge my devices like my phone after dark.

My 12 volt system in my TT works for everything but the 110 outlets and microwave and AC, so I don’t use those. I have a 12 volt 22” tv that I am able to use.

I carry a generator for back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's up to you on how much energy you use.

remember it's always easier/cheaper to conserve energy then it is to make it.

highdesertranger

Not much difference as long as you don't use factory supplied things like heater,AC or microwave. If you do you will be looking at at least 4,000 watts up to 7,000 watts depending on how many of those yo use at once. Our 28' motor home came with a 7,000 watt generator which has worked fine even when running heater and microwave. You can most likely put enough solar on the roof, it is usually the weight (and cost) of the battery bank that will probably be the limiting factor. Following the seasons and limiting the use of factory supplied heat and AC will make boondocking much less demanding on electrical needs.

I have 900W on my TT roof, 400aH in AGM batteries, 2000W inverter. During peak sun hours in the winter (near Mexican border NM), I can run my 1500W microwave no problem. I keep the thermostat at 55 at night, absolutely no problem running the blower till the sun comes up. I supplement heat morning and evening with a Wave 8 catalytic heater, which to be honest is overkill for my 30' rig. Could have gone with a Wave 6 but who knew.

The only thing I can't run with this system is the roof AC. If I wanted to stay in the desert in the summer I'd have to get an evaporative cooler and maybe a window AC for the bedroom.

Like HDR says, you can have as much or as little as suits your needs, wants, means, and imagination.

The Dire Wolfess

I have a 25 foot travel trailer with 1185 watts of solar on the truck and trailer combined. Water and dump are the only things that make it feel like I am not in a RV park plugged in 24/7. Believe me when I say that when it comes to power, I am a pig. Most of the time my water heater runs off of electric, I have a two burner electric stove, I run two 5000 BTU air conditioners, my freezer is a 12 volt unit, there are chargers for multiple phones, hotspots and a booster that sucks a amp a hour. I have run a 900 watt microwave pulling 1375 watts for up to 18 minutes nuking potatoes. Most of my tools are corded and best of all, pull up next to me and you can charge up your trailer too. The list goes on but you get the picture I hope. My rig is considered a rolling power station for a reason.

Do you think that you will change many of your habits once in the trailer? Running the furnace needs to be considered and there are more lights at night but all in all your usage will likely stay the same. Alternator charging through a 7 pin is pitiful at best so you will not be able to rely on that nearly as much. You will have better luck turning the truck around and throwing a set of jumper cables on if you need a charge that much.

Were we to sit down and work out your needs for a design I would start with how much power you had and used before, then work in the needs of the trailer and what you expect to change in your personal habits. We would work out what fits on the roof, in the battery bay and where you would put the equipment to run it all inside. The last thing I suggest is being cheap with the panels on the roof. The solar is the the least expensive and most productive part of the system, take advantage of that.

My time in a TT was with 300 watts mounted to the roof, 600 watt inverter, and two 100ah AGM batteries. It required no more solar/batteries then our van (we actually have more in the van). This setup allowed two people to work on laptops 8 hours a day as long as the sun shined (it would not supply us enough power for two days of foul weather. The microwave was donated years ago, and we never ran the AC. We did carry a 1000 genny for backup, and used it frequently thanks to the clouds.

Keep in mind that a TT has a maximum weight it is designed for and is usually only a few hundred pounds heavier than it's dry weight. A half dozen batteries will pretty much put you at your max weight leaving you no "room" for food, clothing, water, ect. Other then that, just allow your solar setup to be expandable (easy enough to do) so you can add more panels as you may need them.

It is about your usage.
Our genny is our power for fast, on the spot when needed and will cover all TT situations. That is the biggest plus on using the genny. But downside is gas needed, are you in a location you can use the genny easily without bothering others...etc. That is a very easy option.

Solar you need to know your needs. How do you want to live and what comforts are a must. After that you can meet your solar needs with some bucks thrown at the situation. If you can't use the AC roof top with the TT due to size, you have alternatives. you can a smaller user friendly low draw AC unit but that takes installation and more etc.....so it is how far do you want to take it? You can do anything :) You just have to find what path you do want and go for it hook line and sinker. You can do anything to a TT and convert all you need into a solar situation. It can be done but alot rides on how you want to travel and what is easy or not easy on your wallet etc?

What we have grown accustomed to is living off of 12v, with solar and it hasn't been a problem. The one thing that may be an issue is the pop-out seems to only operate when the system is on shore power. Is that normal? I may need to get an inverter that is at least able to operate that.

My slide out runs on 12volt and doesn’t require shore power. Check online to see if yours should work on 12volt. I think they are all supposed to work on 12volt, but I am not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk