Best van conversion brand?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly708

Reaction score
My plan is to buy an older conversion van so I don't have to deal with doing the hightop,  cut out the middle man.  I plan on gutting it and putting it back together the way I need it. Is there a conversion brand that is the best as far as no leaks, will hold solar panels better,  etc?

"The best" although subjective, will most likely cost more than an average house.

And you're talking about tearing most of their added value apart?

Maybe focus your research on makers that will let you purchase - ideally at a **much** lower cost - a "shell only" version of their buildout.

When new none will leak, likely a good guarantee on that.

And mounting solar should not be an issue, although I suppose you could ask for the biggest possible cargo rack up top.

Just make sure you get great ventilation while stationary from the outset, venting or A/C on top will reduce solar capacity.

Every Road Leads Home said:
^Sounds like they want an older one,  just wanting to know which older ones had a better reputation.

Exactly - I'm just a  poor old dude willing to do as much of it as I can. I guess I could have added more details -oops! !

I just want to know brands to stay away from, who used better materials,  etc.

OK, I thought you meant RoadTrek or fancier.

Still, conversion often costs more for the swivel chairs, trim etc.

I say get just plain extended and/or high-top cargo or passenger van like Chevy Express, focus on the mechanical reliability most of all if it's that old.

Dodges are the most common to find with a high top but I'd avoid anything from Dodge no matter who did the conversion.

If you're not afraid of older (and the implications like AC problems) then I'd aim for a Ford pushrod motor powered conversion van.
Typically found with mid tops that are on the sturdy side and/or have reinforcement ribs which will help with solar.

Handicap vans are a great way to search for high tops as they tend to be full height and already minus the interior.

All that said, I see lots of Chevy G20 based high tops are pretty reasonable prices. 305 or 350 plus 700r4 is nothing to snuff at.

Some conversion van "tv tops" leave the rain gutters intact, which would make mounting a rack for panels easy.

If the gutters are no longer accessible you may end up gluing/taping mounts to the top, or biting down on a stick and putting amorphous ("flex") panels up there. Either way you're likely going to end up drilling a hole in the fiberglass to get the panel wiring into the van.  Some configs allow stealth entry through preexisting hardware like a third brake light.

...and the older the fiberglass.... the greater risk of 'explosion'

I know, the one I had.. I wouldn't have dreamed of attaching anything to the fg-top.. for fear of wind shear just tearing it apart.
Or storing anything of any substance above the cab.. Stop hard.. and it might just punch through.. yeeeks

Be aware-- all convos.. to my knowledge, are constructed with appearance in mind..
Need a spacer for that light fixture? Just stack a few hex-nuts on the back of the bolt.. Want to protect electrical wires from abrasion? Slap a piece of duct-tape on it. Better yet, just put the piece of tape on the rough-cut metal edge..

Knowing this going in.. you will know what to look for.

Gideon33w said:
Handicap vans are a great way to search for high tops as they tend to be full height and already minus the interior.
Plus the lifted/beefed up load bearing suspension once you strip out all the extra heavy metal, great for those wanting better clearances for boondocking off the pavement, or fitting propane, water tanks, tool boxes underchassis.

Gideon33w said:
Dodges are the most common to find with a high top but I'd avoid anything from Dodge no matter who did the conversion.

If you're not afraid of older (and the implications like AC problems) then I'd aim for a Ford pushrod motor powered conversion van.
Typically found with mid tops that are on the sturdy side and/or have reinforcement ribs which will help with solar.
Dodge is 100% out of the question,  too many wiring issues,weak ignition components. 
Ford~ it would have to be the deal of a lifetime to be considered,  it sounds funny but I have never driven a Ford that felt like it fit me.
Imports~ no thanks.
GM ~ My last 3 trucks went 300k + and we're all sold in running,driving condition. So it is the best choice imho.

All that said, I see lots of Chevy G20 based high tops are pretty reasonable prices. 305 or 350 plus 700r4 is nothing to snuff at.

Yeah, there is a lot of love on here for the Express vans for good reason.
Despite being a Ford guy, all my vans have been Chevys with a 4.3 or 5.7
Heck, even my mechanical write-up on vans leans towards Chevys, haha.

In my opinion, The 2500 Express vans are the best option for vandwelling.
5.7 and 5.3 are both great motors and you get the beefier 4L80e trans.
Plus, they can be had with the uber heavy duty 10.5" full float rear.

Also, newer vans are on r134a refrigerant which is the only type you can still get serviced.

If this is posted in the wrong place, forgive me and Ill accept all responsibility.

just a ramble from a full timer...
My wife and i have been in the lifestyle (though we are stationary in our full time 5th wheel and adventure in our chevy express van conversion) we've visited with lots of peeps since going full time in fall of 2011. The one thing we've discovered that others have shared...there is no "perfect" rv, be it van, motorhome, or trailer. As others have suggested/hinted to, just do the typical due-diligence during the pre-purchase phase and take that leap of open-eyed-faith.

There have been so many things i just tweaked and fixed myself even on new RV's over the years (first one was a WESTY in 1980). I just try to keep my Zen-on and go forward.

And hopefully enjoy the adventure : )
Thom

PS...and why, for my wife and i, with both van conversions (our chevy express and our new promaster) we went with custom conversion shops. No matter what one finds/purchases (even custom) there will be a level of compromise. But that's part of life i suppose?

And no matter how perfect your plans are, every unknown person working on your van compromises it's integrity. For example, I couldn't get maybe the 'main' commercial van company, Adrian Steel, rep for our State on the telephone after trying for 2 solid weeks. So I changed bulk partition brands to Masterrack and I was very happy with Masterrack: except the technician who worked on second shift put every nut in with a power driver full blast! So half the bolts for my partition, seats, and consoles were significantly compromised: stripped and/or misaligned. And then the owner who works on the first shift has the nerve to tell me how much he believes in threading nuts down properly?!?! But he also told me about his family woes (kid in a major auto accident) and business start-up problems (duh!)

The owner was having a hard time in his start-up business, probably due to his 'wonder-boy' mechanic he praised so much was running commercial clients off after the first inspected job he did for them! He should be doing gang-buster business being one of only 2 commercial van dealers in a State! I won't bring it back, not even to fix what he destroyed, because I know everything he disassembles or assembles is going off or on at full power torque wrench speed. I may expect this for a tire buster high school student at Sears Automotive, but... I'm not going to accept this from anybody working on my van! By the time I got it back from the first job, it was too late :-(

From now on, I'm warning up front and will make a meeting of the minds (verbal contract) that they will pay for it from a qualified mechanic (not theirs) if they strip my fasteners from negligence. BRAND GD NEW VAN! But new or old vehicle, any kind, I'd be just as mad. DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING FROM ANYBODY! Nobody can afford stripped anything repairs: they are quite expensive.

breeze said:
And no matter how perfect your plans are, every unknown person working on your van compromises it's integrity. For example, I couldn't get maybe the 'main' commercial van company, Adrian Steel, rep for our State on the telephone after trying for 2 solid weeks. So I changed bulk partition brands to Masterrack and I was very happy with Masterrack: except the technician who worked on second shift put every nut in with a power driver full blast! So half the bolts for my partition, seats, and consoles were significantly compromised: stripped and/or misaligned. And then the owner who works on the first shift has the nerve to tell me how much he believes in threading nuts down properly?!?! But he also told me about his family woes (kid in a major auto accident) and business start-up problems (duh!)

The owner was having a hard time in his start-up business, probably due to his 'wonder-boy' mechanic he praised so much was running commercial clients off after the first inspected job he did for them! He should be doing gang-buster business being one of only 2 commercial van dealers in a State! I won't bring it back, not even to fix what he destroyed, because I know everything he disassembles or assembles is going off or on at full power torque wrench speed. I may expect this for a tire buster high school student at Sears Automotive, but... I'm not going to accept this from anybody working on my van! By the time I got it back from the first job, it was too late :-(

From now on, I'm warning up front and will make a meeting of the minds (verbal contract) that they will pay for it from a qualified mechanic (not theirs) if they strip my fasteners from negligence. BRAND GD NEW VAN! But new or old vehicle, any kind, I'd be just as mad. DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING FROM ANYBODY! Nobody can afford stripped anything repairs: they are quite expensive.
I do all my own work, I don't like redoing other people's gremlins,

I guess I should have asked the question more clearly.  I am looking at conversion vans to gut and make it my own design.  Are there companies that had the best ,no leak tops. I am open to any preowned high top be it conversion or cargo.

I would love to find a hi-top ford van with an inline 6 .Adrian steel makes great partitions . Sounds like the install was not.

Grizzly708 said:
I guess I should have asked the question more clearly.  I am looking at conversion vans to gut and make it my own design.  Are there companies that had the best ,no leak tops. I am open to any preowned high top be it conversion or cargo.

Any of the conversion vans may start to leak after years of service no matter who installed them.

The weak spots are: the butyl tape that is used to seal the fiberglass top to the metal roof and, the windows installed in them. Again it's the butyl tape that is used to seal the windows when installed.

The gray RV grade of butyl tape used only has a life expectancy of about 10 years.

Since you're planning on gutting the interior if you buy a conversion van, just count on lifting the roof and re-installing it. Also count on re and re any existing windows in the fiberglass top.

Personally, I would avoid any of the tops that have forward facing windows since they are exposed to high speed driving rains and will be more prone to future leaks no matter what you do to reseal them.

I think the message is, forget who does the best conversions and focus on the underlying platform, drive train reliability, suspension, etc.

Giving an idea of budget for the base vehicle, what ranges of year and mileage will help narrow thing down.

Grizzly708 said:

I'm sorry for getting side-tracked Grizzly What I did was to look at all the high tops one by one in depth per each specific forum. I fell in love several times, but eventually ruled all of them out for one or more critical reasons to me: except the 2012 to 2016 Nissan NV 3500 High Roof. Of course every used deal is on a case by case basis depending on every person's values, background, and luck. I'd certainly stand by the same range of NV's today, since they are all real similar and very few defects within that 5 years. No vehicle period has such a sterling defect record; and it is made in MS and TN, USA.

The ones I rejected may and may not be bad, but we all sample from the same resources on the web and otherwise. Then I just made my best guess eliminations based on the evidence from my lifetime. The Nissan NV 3500 High Roof is a value van, and that is why they maintain resale value so well: even if they are the cheapest new van - they are the ONLY big Jap car maker High Roof van available (but again, they are probably more made in USA then any other van except maybe GM - which does not have an oem High Roof van.) Ymmv  :D

Conversion vans are often restricted, expensive, and may depreciate rapidly; and cargo vans are pretty much already "gutted out."