Best plan for internet streaming

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nurseypoop

Reaction score
Living full time in a TT becomes reality Sept 1. We are so excited. Question: we are looking for the cheapest way to stream on our tv, should we decide to watch a movie. Mostly Netflix or Amazon prime. We don't really care about other tv. Any suggestions? We are currently with att and use a hotspot at home with unlimited plans. But I know there has to be a way to do it cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On AT&T I use a ZTE Mobley on their connected car service. It is unlimited for $20 a month.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323

You will have to keep checking as it is listed as out of stock or you can find one and buy it outright and have the account set up for it.

This is my thread in the communication section on the Mobley.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Unlimited-AT-T-20-a-month

I also use a Verizon 3G hotspot with unlimited data for $5 a month but I can't say it will always be fast enough for streaming. I use a Sprint LTE hotspot with unlimited data for $14 a month. I also use a T-Mobile hotspot with 5 gigs of data and unlimited streaming on their Binge on and Music freedom services. You can find threads on all of these by me in the communication area.

Thank you so much for the information. It's the mobley do you have to have an unlimited plan with att? With the current hotspot I use with them they said it has to. E used with an unlimited plan.

Nurseypoop said:
Thank you so much for the information. It's the mobley do you have to have an unlimited plan with att?  With the current hotspot I use with them they said it has to. E used with an unlimited plan.

I believe the only plan for the Mobley is the $20 a month unlimited plan.

jimindenver said:
I believe the only plan for the Mobley is the $20 a month unlimited plan.

Ok I will check to see if u have to have phones with them too. Have u been using it for streaming on your tv then?

My phone with AT&T is actually on their MVNO Cricket. My Mobley is a stand alone account. I have been able to stream TV from the hotspot on my Cricket phone as well as the Mobley as long as the signal is strong enough.

I will have to read up on cricket. I was thinking the mobley has to use your data somehow. What do u think of how Blanch said she does it?

I just did a search here to update my response... wherever I posted my experience with Tmobile and my mobile hotspot...
They only offer 2g per month for a mobile hotspot.. Phone tethering is limited to 10g...
I've been searching their website, calling customer service, and trying to find the best way to get uninterrupted service...
Today, I went into the Tmobile store. I've been using Tmobile for a few years and really like having them.
I have the $70 All-In plan.. or One plan.. whatever... My bill is $70 per month unlimited everything, but just that 10 gigs for wifi/tethering for my laptop..
So I was gonna add a new phone.. I went in to Tmobile today.. and it turns out that for $25 more per month I can get unlimited wifi-hotspot using my current phone, or tethering via USB (this is faster sometimes). So that's what I went with... so as of this afternoon, I now pay $95 per month, unlimited everything calls, texts, internet, and now wifi/tether with my current phone also.
I've been watching movies on the Macbook, while also surfing the web on the PC laptop all afternoon and service is great. No lags, spins or anything...
$95 certainly isn't the cheapest around.. but I really like Tmobile, am happy with their service, and the perks that come with doing business with them such as the Tmobile Tuesday Freebies.

That's what I currently have also. But we won't be full time in our TT until aug 25. I was just really not wanting to keep unlimited for my phone, because I don't really use it that much.

To be honest, I have no idea these days what plans are out there besides Unlimited... because I am just so used to having it. I havent done the math for my calls or texts to know if its a benefit. Just havent considered it.... But for sure, unlimited internet is now a necessity for me...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I just, today, signed up for the Verizon unlimited plan. I am used to a 25GB data cap from my home internet company so it is highly doubtful I will ever reach my limit as I always managed to stay in that range even with watching lots of Netflix. I did add a Jetpack to my plan since it I don't want to kill my phone (which will happen if you use it as a constant hotspot) which puts me at about the same price as I was paying for Straight Talk "Unlimited" plus cable/ home high-speed internet. I am happy with the quality so far and have been streaming music all afternoon without a blip. I did go with the 3G/4G Jetpack for better coverage which was a little more expensive to buy but I think the extra coverage was worth it. I do plan on getting a wireless booster antenna also at some point.

yeah, I've heard of Jetpack.. Heard that the 'hotspot destroys your phone' line is used to promote JetPack purchases...

Either way it actually makes sense (not over-using the battery and CPU) and the extra data will be useful. I've heard it from non-cellphone seller sources too. I'm still paying less than I was, with Jetpack and unlimited data plus phone payment, than I was for a ST plan plus home internet...can't really complain. I'd rather not have my phone occupied with streaming internet if I don't have to...it was only an extra $20 a month

I'm not sure if this is where I would ask, but with the "plans" listed here on this thread, do any of you know if a person would be able to stream internet gaming? Say like World of Warcraft? I play this part time at home and would like to be able to do so in my van once I am on the road. Thank you ahead of time for answers.
AG :)

Forget my last post... too late to edit... my bill is back down to $70 a month. Turns out I already had unlimited tethering/wifi so they refunded me...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I watch Netflix. They now have an option where you can download movies and tv shows and then watch them offline later. So I can download an entire tv season and then watch when I want. I think there is a time limit but if it expires you just need to connect to wifi somewhere and validate it again. Works great.

I can download plenty to watch anywhere I can get free wifi and have plenty to watch later. If you put it on your phone, ipad, or other device you can easily hook that up to a regular tv and watch it on a bigger screen.

AsphaltGypsy said:
I'm not sure if this is where I would ask, but with the "plans" listed here on this thread, do any of you know if a person would be able to stream internet gaming?  Say like World of Warcraft? I play this part time at home and would like to be able to do so in my van once I am on the road.  Thank you ahead of time for answers.
AG   :)

Anywhere there's a strong signal with your provider, you'll be able to.
Be able to with low latency? I don't think so. You probably don't want to play any part or games that you need lowest latencies like PVP. Also, depending on the provider, you might have soft cap around 22gb to throttle you.

Just my thoughts. Try it yourself and get back to us.