Best Non-stick pans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
Just finished cleaning my large skillet that is no longer "non-stick" ...bought at Kmart and got a year+ of good performance from it.

I was just now starting to get sucked down the Amazon-review rabbit hole and found my head just isn't into it. Maybe someone can recommend a good brand and I'll just order it...sounds easier  ;)

I'd be fine with paying more for something that will last, so that's not an issue. At least I don't think it is...fair to say I was shocked to learn how much you can spend on a good knife when my brother asked me to chip in on one for Mom's gift...

Le creuset.

Of course...wicked heavy. And very pricy

Best pan I ever owned. Non-stick and never scratched.
Comes with a lifetime guarantee...your lifetime. Replace if ever scratch (or anything else)

And, as a bonus, in a pinch you could beat your attacker to a pulp with them

I have had great luck with T-fal/Tefal, they are cheap. I keep them oiled and don't use a metal spatula and never have an issue with sticking even when I burn something. Every pan that I have had ruined was either ruined by cooking spray or using metal tools.
Cast iron would be my first choice but the price and weight keep me with cheap aluminum pans like T-fal

After getting 6 months to a year out of a wide variety of "non-stick" pans for more years than I care to admit to, I went back to good old cast iron.

A well cared for cast iron skillet will outperform any of the so called non stick surfaces and will do you for years.

And price wise it can't be beat, I found a Lodge cast iron 10" skillet in the camping section of WalMart for less than $15.00 which is the same price range as I've been paying repeatedly for all those sucky pans in the housewares section.

My new favorite kitchen appliance is a little nylon scraper that has curved corners - the curved are designed to match various curvatures on pots and pans. The scraper and a paper towel, some new oil and that fry pan is ready to go. If I do have anything mildly sticking to the pot a little warm water to soak while I eat and it's all good.

I like my cast iron pans. I clean mine with a lil salt and a coffee filter. Used them for about 5 years now, and they just get better with age. Season(oil) them properly and they're great. Mine have never seen soap.

I also vote for cast iron. if you are anti cast iron for whatever reason my second choice would be uncoated stainless. if you were to mess up the stainless just take a wire wheel to it. ask me how I know. highdesertranger

Wife got one of those orange colored ones a couple of months ago....Its advertised on TV, but she saw it in a store for $20.....So far shes happy with it. Ask me again in 6 months....lol

My brother got me hooked on a Starfrit pan he found at wally world. I got it myself and it is really, really good. As long as you use some kind of oil when you cook (I use coconut) you can clean it with a paper towel! I've only had mine for 3 months, but he has had his for over a year and it's still great. Amazon has a bunch of them as well, all different sizes. Wally world only had an 11" fry pan with no lid, but I got a generic lid that works ok. My plan is to get some other sizes from Amazon as time goes by.

I would like to add my 2 cast iron skillets belonged to my grandmother they have been in the family for at least 75 years. so I haven't had to buy anymore skillets. remember the three "R's" reduce, reuse, recycle. if you have to buy a new one every few years it isn't any good. highdesertranger

The ceramic coated pans I have are far better than any other non-stick pan I have had. One problem is food goes up the side rather than letting the turner underneath.

minimotos95 said:
I have had great luck with T-fal/Tefal, they are cheap. I keep them oiled and don't use a metal spatula and never have an issue with sticking even when I burn something. Every pan that I have had ruined was either ruined by cooking spray or using metal tools.
Cast iron would be my first choice but the price and weight keep me with cheap aluminum pans like T-fal
I too just bought a 10 inch  T fal from Target , on sale for $9.99.
No sticking.
Came with a glass lid.
I love this pan  , wipes clean very easily every time , I wish
I would of replaced my cast iron a long time ago , I hated
the weight.

I've never found any non-stick to last long, even religiously touching with silicon and wood only.

Cast iron but only if you're willing.

Otherwise pay for Allclad stainless, I think over copper. 20 years works today well as new, indestructible.

No idea if there are other brands as good, I do know there are hundreds of lousy imitators.

BradKW said:
Just finished cleaning my large skillet that is no longer "non-stick" ...bought at Kmart and got a year+ of good performance from it.

I was just now starting to get sucked down the Amazon-review rabbit hole and found my head just isn't into it. Maybe someone can recommend a good brand and I'll just order it...sounds easier  ;)

I'd be fine with paying more for something that will last, so that's not an issue. At least I don't think it is...fair to say I was shocked to learn how much you can spend on a good knife when my brother asked me to chip in on one for Mom's gift...

We have NuWave induction burners and have the fry pans that come with the burners. They were fine when new, but the non-stick stopped working over time. Bought a replacement set, same thing. We are looking for better, longer lasting pans, too.

I use Cast Iron , RevereWare and am trying couple of the new ceramic pans too.
If I had to throw out all except one pan ,,,, A Cast Iron Dutch Oven no contest.

VanKitten said:
Le creuset.  

Of course...wicked heavy.   And very pricy

Best pan I ever owned.   Non-stick and never scratched.  
Comes with a lifetime guarantee...your lifetime.   Replace if ever scratch (or anything else)

And, as a bonus, in a pinch you could beat your attacker to a pulp with them

We had Le Creuset at the house. You are right about wicked heavy. They were the best, but we did not want to deal with the weight in flimsy rv cabinets.

BradKW said:
fair to say I was shocked to learn how much you can spend on a good knife when my brother asked me to chip in on one for Mom's gift...

I gave my  $$$ german chef's knives to my daughter when I bought a Victorinox Fibrox 8".  Excellent knife that I use instead of pamper.  Heard about it on America's Test Kitchen. I got mine at a restaurant supply for $28 about 10 years ago.

For a beater knife I've always loved the $5 wooden handled knife I got at a Chinese grocery 20 years ago.  Sharp, handy, cheap.  It's the one I would let the ex-wife use; she had a bad habit of putting knives in the dishwasher (!) against the forks and spoons (!!).  A couple of strokes against ceramic rods and it was killer sharp again.

Almost There said:
After getting 6 months to a year out of a wide variety of "non-stick" pans for more years than I care to admit to, I went back to good old cast iron.

A well cared for cast iron skillet will outperform any of the so called non stick surfaces and will do you for years.

And price wise it can't be beat, I found a Lodge cast iron 10" skillet in the camping section of WalMart for less than $15.00 which is the same price range as I've been paying repeatedly for all those sucky pans in the housewares section.

My new favorite kitchen appliance is a little nylon scraper that has curved corners - the curved are designed to match various curvatures on pots and pans. The scraper and a paper towel, some new oil and that fry pan is ready to go. If I do have anything mildly sticking to the pot a little warm water to soak while I eat and it's all good.

I happened upon those nylon scrapers last year, saw it in a store and decided to try it.  Works better than I could have ever dreamed.  Here's a link if anyone's interested
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-SCRAPE...=1488253615&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+pan+scraper

I personally hate non stick pans. They don't last.  I've found with pans the more money you spend, not only do you get a better quality heavier duty pan, but the easier they are to clean and the better food doesn't stick to them.  I bought a set of  Calphalon stainless steel pans for around $300 about five years ago and absolutely love them. They have aluminum bottoms for even heat distribution and stainless everything else.  Prior to that I was using a cheap $40 set from Walmart and cursed and cussed them every time I cooked and cleaned them.  After that I moved up to a $100 set and they were noticeably better.  After a few years and a few moves they were getting pretty beat up and then I jumped up in price range again.  I expect these to last me a long time.

I just recently finally got one of the "red copper" pans, the low square one, with the induction capability. Advertised as not needing any oil, buttervetc, totally "nonstick".
Well, not true! I found frying eggs they did stick. So, they need at least a wipe of oil to keep them slick.
I like this pan, now that I know how to use it. It cleans up vety easily. I use plastic spatulas, NO METAL!
I looked at these pans for a couple years in various of the catalogs my Mom got. Finally looked on Amazon, found one name brand got too many bad reviews, mostly for not being truly no-stick. The one I ordered had better reviews. But, it seems they are all similar. I won't buy any others.
Many years ago I had a small low round pan, 8" or so around, that had the no-stick gray "stoneware" interior. I loved that pan, very easy to clean. But I ruined it with steel utensils, gouging the lining.

Carbon Steel.  If you love cast iron and know how to care for cast iron, I recommend carbon steel skillets for their chemical-free, nonstick ability, and lighter weight.  Carbon steel is the stuff most woks are made of.  Like cast iron, with proper care it will last a lifetime.  Lodge makes great carbon steel skillets for a reasonable price.  Amazon sells some cheap carbon steel skillets that are much thinner and lighter weight than Lodge.  I bought the thin cheap ones to go in the camper because carbon steel will withstand campfires.  A glaze of coconut oil or olive oil in a well-seasoned carbon steel skillet and you'll have to chase an egg all over the skillet to turn it--for the rest of your freakin' life. :)

Latest posts