Best lower-wattage coffee maker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatCaretaker

Reaction score
What is your opinion of the 100-200W coffee makers on the market? I was trying to find one not over the wattage of the battery I'm thinking of getting. I do want my morning coffee! Was surprised to find out the average coffee makers take 600+ watts of power.

When my battery is lowest first thing in the morning, last thing I want to do is load it down with a high amp draw Item. I use this:

http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/moka-express-c-1_7_22.html

But I am no coffee aficionado. Coffee serves one purpose for me, the morning jolt, and a Moka pot stuffed to the brim with regular grinds, is dependable fast, and uses no electricity

I've not tried any of the lesser wattage offerings, nor will I, but I have had and will appreciate good electrical drip coffee, it just is not a necessity.

Good luck on your quest

CautionToTheWind said:
Have you considered the 12-volt coffee maker. https://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-RPSC-784-12-Volt-Coffee-Carafe/dp/B00446YIYK

Propane type coffee makers are available too. French press. Or just a cone over a cup pour.

This. With a pourover you get better coffee than drip or a french press, make what you need, and can just use a tea kettle to heat water real quick with propane/butane which is far easier to come by than extra wattage. It's dirt cheap too. A plastic pourover unit and cone filters is all you need. Takes a couple minutes extra and you have to be a little more hands on but it's very worth it.

I got my pour over thing-a-ma-jig at the grocery store or Walmart for about $5 iirc. Brand is "Mellita" or "Melitta".

I had a 700 watt small 4 cup coffee maker and have been contemplating what I will use on the road. Well, the problem answered itself. About a week ago the coffee maker stopped working. I detached the cup that holds the grounds. I took the spring thingy off the bottom of the drip cup and voila! All I do is place it with a filter on top of a cup and pour boiling water over my grounds and cinnamon.

XFILE36 said:
I had a 700 watt small 4 cup coffee maker and have been contemplating what I will use on the road.  Well, the problem answered itself.  About a week ago the coffee maker stopped working.  I detached the cup that holds the grounds.  I took the spring thingy off the bottom of the drip cup and voila!  All I do is place it with a filter on top of a cup and pour boiling water over my grounds and cinnamon.

Well, that's basically a home made pourover setup, lol

Yep! LOL, it works and it's FREE! Except the little bit of propane I will need to boil the H2O.

I have used a French Press for years - coffee comes out great and it's so easy!

I've seen rave reviews for the Kelly Kettle to boil water.

Yes, takes certain BTU to boil a certain volume of water, electric efficiency isn't going to be radically different, lower power just takes longer.

A little portable camp stove designed to run off those $1 butane bottles from the asian groceries works fine, last at least a week.

Converter to run it off propane, then a **lot** cheaper running cost! Reusable 1-lb bottles if you aren't using much for other cooking, or heat, or go to a stock 20# BBQ if you are.

And zero electric usage. . .