Best GPS System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB1954

Reaction score
My stand alone GPS gave up the ghost. It served me well. Now I am looking for a replacement. The main function of the unit would be to help find campsites on the fly. I want a full time system that doesn't need telephone or internet connection. I would rather not use my phone for navigation, (small screen). The options appear to be a laptop with software, (delorme street Atlas 2015,  and a gps device plugged into a USB slot),  A tablet with GPS and Offline maps, or a dedicated GPS device. I am leaning toward the latter. Do any brands show public lands right out of the box? I have read reviews about the RV models, and results are inconclusive. Some reviews say great, some say the opposite. I would like to be able to upload data into it from http://ultimatecampgrounds.com/ for free camp sites. 

What are you using.

I have owned and have had experience with two brands I was extremely disappointed with and would advise you to not purchase: Cobra and Rand McNally. These were both the large 7" screen models. The Cobra unit had very poor screen resolution. The RM unit, with I am still using, frequently gets lost and doesn't know where it is. It also locks up and needs to be reset. Occasionally I have to go to the RM website and do a "software repair" to get the unit running again. I find it amazing Rand McNally put their name on such a substandard product.

I got so fed up with this unit after two years or so I bought a large Garmin unit. It is perfect for me in every way. It has never let me down.

I'd sell the Rand McNally unit on CL or eBay but I wouldn't want to pass on this POS to anyone else.

My opinion only . . .

all kinds of options here. what's the primary use? street navigation? back country navigation? do you want detailed back country maps? what brand is your old one? Garmin has a flat rate of 100 bucks to fix any problem on any of their GPS units if it's out of warranty. I have three Garimins, 2 hand held, and one car mount. I also have an Eagle Explorer and a Magellan both hand held. all my hand held GPS's are over 20 years old. the GPS that I own that still work are all Garmin. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
all kinds of options here.  what's the primary use?  street navigation?  back country navigation?  do you want detailed back country maps?  what brand is your old one?   Garmin has a flat rate of 100 bucks to fix any problem on any of their GPS units if it's out of warranty.  I have three Garimins,  2 hand held,  and one car mount.  I also have an Eagle Explorer and a Magellan both hand held.  all my hand held GPS's are over 20 years  old.  the GPS that I own that still work are all Garmin.  highdesertranger
My old GPS was a basic car model. Not worth the repair money. 
Boondocking, back country,camp grounds,  dump sites. Finding a camp spot. http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/uc3/index.php has a POI database that can be uploaded to a gps. My phone has apps to do most of this, but I want something that will operate separate from a cell signal.

you want a true GPS with preloaded maps. for a large screen I would go with a tablet like RVTravel said. what ever you do it's going to cost you. because you will have to buy the tablet, GPS antenna, and maps. if you can use a smaller screen the all in one units go between 250-600bucks. more money more features and a bigger screen = more money. highdesertranger

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 2595 because it was pretty inexpensive, comes with free map updates and got good reviews. I love it but I really don't have any previous experience to compare because this is my first GPS and I've only had it since November.

It get us where we want to go although it doesn't always know where things are from just a name so I have to put in street addresses or co-ordinates.

I uploaded the data from    http://www.uscampgrounds.info/   and it works great for that.http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

I would like to expand on what T&K said. GPS's make mistakes even the high dollar ones. cell phone GPS is the worse for mistakes if you are out of cell coverage range. what I am trying to say is, use wisely. highdesertranger

I was just curious what advances that they made over the last 5 years. It doesn't look like any of the car units do TOPO maps for back trails. I guess as long as I can load the boondock sites from the ultimate campground project, whatever I can buy the cheapest will work. I don't need fancy, like bluetooth calling etc. Last night I bought a Magellan RoadMate 5250T-LM. It had an interesting feature that it will give you a list of what is available at the next freeway exit, so you don't have to search for restaurant, gas, etc. You can also set it for giving directions by using landmarks instead of road names, (like turn right at the next gas station).
I may buy a program for a laptop or tablet to get TOPO features. I already have a computer GPS receiver for the lap top. I was using microsoft street and trips, but it will not run on Windows 10 unless maybe somehow in compatibility mode. Delorme street Atlas 2015 might work as well.

DannyB1954 said:
I was just curious what advances that they made over the last 5 years. It doesn't look like any of the car units do TOPO maps for back trails. 

Actually, there's a small (one person?) company that sells 1/24,000 topo maps that work with ANY Garmin unit. 

He currently has 6 states available.  AZ, NM, CA, UT, CO, and WA. 

http://www.abovethetimber.com/

Also, Magellan now has a car type unit loaded with backcountry only maps:

http://www.magellangps.com/Vehicle-Navigation/Magellan-eXplorist-TRX7-Off-road-GPS-Navigation

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Actually, there's a small (one person?) company that sells 1/24,000 topo maps that work with ANY Garmin unit. 

He currently has 6 states available.  AZ, NM, CA, UT, CO, and WA. 

http://www.abovethetimber.com/

Also, Magellan now has a car type unit loaded with backcountry only maps:

http://www.magellangps.com/Vehicle-Navigation/Magellan-eXplorist-TRX7-Off-road-GPS-Navigation

Wow, $650.00 for the new Magellan. I will wait until they come down to $99.

speedhighway46 said:
I have owned and have had experience with two brands I was extremely disappointed with and would advise you to not purchase: Cobra and Rand McNally. These were both the large 7" screen models. The Cobra unit had very poor screen resolution. The RM unit, with I am still using, frequently gets lost and doesn't know where it is. It also locks up and needs to be reset. Occasionally I have to go to the RM website and do a "software repair" to get the unit running again. I find it amazing Rand McNally put their name on such a substandard product.

I got so fed up with this unit after two years or so I bought a large Garmin unit. It is perfect for me in every way. It has never let me down.

I'd sell the Rand McNally unit on CL or eBay but I wouldn't want to pass on this POS to anyone else.

My opinion only . . .

Google gets lost occasionally and offers up some questionable routing from time to time. Giving me directions for a "proposed" trip from Amargosa Valley US 95 to Groom Lake that would take me through the Nevada Test Site to get there. The first gate on Lathrop-Wells road is unmanned. Just being on that road from US 95 up the gate can bring a drone overhead.

I am also thinking of a dedicated standalone GPS as the usage on my phone is a heavy drain on battery and data as it is constantly exposing my current location to Google and its subscribers.

Thanks for the do not buy recos.

DannyB1954 said:
I was just curious what advances that they made over the last 5 years. It doesn't look like any of the car units do TOPO maps for back trails.  I guess as long as I can load the boondock sites from the ultimate campground project, whatever I can buy the cheapest will work. I don't need fancy, like bluetooth calling etc. Last night I bought a Magellan RoadMate 5250T-LM. It had an interesting feature that it will give you a list of what is available at the next freeway exit, so you don't have to search for restaurant, gas, etc.  You can also set it for giving directions by using landmarks instead of road names, (like turn right at the next gas station).
I may buy a program for a laptop or tablet to get TOPO features. I already have a computer GPS receiver for the lap top. I was using microsoft street and trips, but it will not run on Windows 10 unless maybe somehow in compatibility mode. Delorme street Atlas 2015 might work as well.

The next exit feature would be great! The "Next Exit" book is great except hard to use solo in real time.

Keep us updated on that GPS unit in your real world experience.

It was the only model that I seen had the next exit feature. I downloaded the manual and it looks like it gives the next several exits as well. http://support.magellangps.com/supp...ewdownload&downloaditemid=469&nav=0,16,19,424 (page 18).

I got mine used on Ebay for $45, but you can buy them many places referbed like here http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/details/187503/roadmate-5250t-lm.html?category_id=20606
It should be here in a few days. I didn't find any negative comments about this model. Another interesting thing is the routing options, you can choose least use of freeways.

I saw my question was asked and answered.

Good thread.

Danny I have a basic Garmin car GPS it's probably 8-10 years old. it has preloaded maps. many non paved roads show up on it. it shows all improved off highway roads. it shows maybe 40-50% unimproved roads. you can upgrade(for a price) to show all roads. this unit was 200 bucks when new. it's a street pilot c330. I don't think they make them anymore. but used ones are on Amazon for 20 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-Navigator-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0007LJHVA . highdesertranger

My last one showed some of the forest roads but only if I zoomed in quite a bit, then I could not see where they went. I was just hoping that in the years since they had gotten better. I bought one on EBay. I was thinking that most hiking GPS are based on topo's. Maybe if I ran one of each, the hiking GPS would show me the cliff that the auto GPS is sending me to. I think a lot of the hiking models also are set up to show public land.

the hiking ones I have seen are basically the same. if you want a lot of detail you have to zoom way in and you loose the surrounding terrain features. highdesertranger

DannyB1954 said:
My last one showed some of the forest roads but only if I zoomed in quite a bit,  then I could not see where they went. I was just hoping that in the years since they had gotten better. I bought one on EBay. I was thinking that most hiking GPS are based on topo's. Maybe if I ran one of each, the hiking GPS would show me the cliff that the auto GPS is sending me to. I think a lot of the hiking models also are set up to show public land.

This!!

The GPSs meant for road travel never take in to consideration the concept that some of us like to travel off road.... :rolleyes: :D :D

My hand held Garmin shows everything right down to hiking trails for the areas that I have downloaded from Ibycus. Unfortunately it's Canada only so I can't help with what would work in the US.

Why expect a gps designed for road directions to include off road or trail directions?