Best Gasoline Can inside Camper Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craggers

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,  I'm thinking about hauling a Gasoline can around Inside my camper van when I go Traveling this Winter.  I don't want a cargo hitch hauler thing and am concerned about gasoline fumes and what others have done to Safely store Gas inside their Rigs.  I really used to  Like a old fashion Coleman mantel lantern, and recently found a old Fashion Coleman 1 burner gasoline Stove .     :)

a true NATO can. they come in 5 Liter, 10L, 20L. DOT NOT get a el cheapo Chinese knock off. BTW the old Coleman stuff burns White Gas of Coleman fuel not gasoline. highdesertranger

Yes please be careful with Gasoline, the only older Coleman that will burn Gasoline are the older Olive drab military issue, hard to find in one piece. I do have a Coleman that was made to burn kerosene. I just don't like the hissing sound. I am using Barn lanterns just enough light at nite.

The best is not to have one inside, second best HDR suggestion, My Barn lamp Kerosene Dietz "Little Wizzard" You can snuff out a match in diesel not Gasoline or Kerosene

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_921.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_921.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 11
If you are only using it for stove and lantern, get the Coleman Fuel in a metal one gallon can with a screw lid. Carry it well packed.
Don't carry pump gas inside your van. That is just too dangerous. Plus, eventually, the out side of the can will have smell no matter how careful you are filling.

TexasWoman said:
Or consider an alcohol stove ..

For carrying gasoline, can't beat a Wavian brand Jerry can made in USA ... 
No smell, kind of complicated to open and close but once you get it down not a problem.
The 5 gallon cans are very heavy when full.
I use the 2.7 gallon to actually put gas in the car.

https://www.jerrycan.com/product-category/jerry-cans/2-6-gallon-10-liter-jerry-can/

an Alcohol stove sounds interesting being Less Volatile the Gasoline   :)       i used to burn Unleaded Gasoline in my old Coleman stove and Lanterns all the time years ago when i had a hunting shack in Northern Wisconsin @ the comments Above lol

Just remember the flames from alcohol are invisible. If you accidentally spilled some on yourself or inside the van, you may not know you were on fire.

B and C said:
Just remember the flames from alcohol are invisible.   If you accidentally spilled some on yourself or inside the van, you may not know you were on fire.

Especially if you have recently drunk half of the alcohol fuel prior to that ...

Don't ever try to drink an alcohol fuel. (Not a joking matter)
They're either poison (methanol, isopropyl), or they've got poisonous additives (denatured).

The only non poisonous ethanol that could be used in a lamp/stove might be grain, like Everclear....bought through a liquor retailer.

TexasWoman said:
Or consider an alcohol stove ..

For carrying gasoline, can't beat a Wavian brand Jerry can made in USA ... 

https://www.jerrycan.com/product-category/jerry-cans/2-6-gallon-10-liter-jerry-can/

Actually, Wavian is an English distributor. Wavian USA is a partner of Swiss Link surplus in California.
Valpro, of Latvia actually manufacture the cans.
They are still the best, though.

https://www.jerrycan.com/valpro/

[Once met a couple of guys from Latvia in the 80's while visiting Germany. They had climbed out a bathroom window while on a high school trip to a museum, and ran like hell (still Iron Curtain days). Got asylum in Germany and then got jobs with VOA. They were quite entertaining, and boy could they drink. But I digress...]   :cool:

The military cans I have use a threaded cap. They don't leak. Eagle of USA makes a excellent safety can.

I wish Lexington wasn't sold out of everything so I could compare cost plus shipping vs jerrycan.com price with free shipping.

johnny b said:
Don't ever try to drink an alcohol fuel. (Not a joking matter)
They're either poison (methanol, isopropyl), or they've got poisonous additives (denatured).

The only non poisonous ethanol that could be used in a lamp/stove might be grain, like Everclear....bought through a liquor retailer.

Yep, that's what I was talking about ... everclear.

Everclear. That is some expensive stove fuel.

Everclear's one redeeming value is the fact that it's multi-use. I carry something better-tasting for that, though, and I either get the gallon can of denatured alcohol for stove use, or buy the HEET-brand stuff in red or yellow plastic bottles from auto stores. One of these bottles holds enough for most small trips, and the gallon-size can be kept in the vehicle safely fur any future use on longer excursions. My stove doesn't seem to recognize the difference.

I'm wondering what an oil lamp-type popcan stove with a small wick would be like. I may have to experiment with one of these, although they can't be trusted as leak-proof, unless you (or me) are tip-over-proof.

Also, I NEVER would carry gasoline inside a vehicle. Can't get rid of the smell, and I hate surprises. I carried it in the back of my pickup for years, but not inside.

quality NATO cans like the ones I linked to, do not leak, therefore there is no smell. you can turn them upside down and travel down a wash board road and they will not leak a drop.

this has been discussed before be very careful about burning heet and other denatured alcohols in an enclosed area.

highdesertranger

With fuel injection and anti theift tank fills is there a safe easy way to do that?