Best color for awning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
I'm designing an awning for my camper. I have decided to go with synthetic canvas as it appears to be the best for durability and waterproof. But I don't know what color. One of Bob's videos shows him recommending black for a shade tarp, but someone else said white is best and that black will hold the heat and radiate it down. Anybody know what's best??

I usually use those silver heavy duty tarps for shade. Also, check out aluminet.

are you thinking about a regular tarp or a shade tarp(the ones with holes)?

oops it looks like you already said synthetic canvas. with the synthetic canvas that I have used the canvas works ok but the color is not UV resistant and will soon fade in the sun.

the shade cloth that Bob is talking about is true shade cloth with holes in it so the heat can escape. with my PVC impregnated canvas silver tarp it gets real hot under it.
highdesertranger

Maybe get white because it'll fade anyway. Can't fade much whiter than white.

Every awning I have had suffered from UV ray rotting and the first big wind or rain storm ripped the weak rotten material. The tougher holey black shade screen worked really well as it let the heat rise rather than trapping it but be aware the higher percentage of light blockage works better for shade in light wind. On no wind days or rainy days, which are rare out west, I would consider using sewed in snaps in a large piece of reflex. Maybe just trim it with gorrilla tape and wire tie it to the shade tarp groments.

I like tan, for color, light reflection, and appearance when dirty. Natural canvas color, on natural canvas is also good with no harmful dyes or bleaching.

Agree on the tan. It hides forest dirt (blown on dust and dirt, acorns, leaves and leaf bits, moss etc.) well and out in nature, it looks more like it belongs there. Less of an eyesore for people who don't want to stand out as much as possible.

Yeah re black, Bob recommended that for shadecloth, which he likes a lot for its properties of letting wind through, and says will last longer when the wind is blowing. Different matter for a standard awning, which has to be able to keep rain out.

Reno those Stansport camo tarps are very low quality. if used every day I doubt they would last a year. I have tried one in the past.

I also prefer the tan shade tarps. however the black ones last a lot longer. the warranty is double for the black ones.

highdesertranger