Best coffee maker for van life?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance22

Reaction score
Currently have a typical 4/5 cup coffee maker that I was thinking of bringing into my minivan.. however since I kinda want to go from drinking 4 cups of coffee to 2 cups I been thinking about trying out the Mainstays Single Serve Coffee Maker. Granted it only brews 14oz. However right now I use 2 table spoons in my 4 cups brew so I think if I brew 3 table spoons in to make my 14oz of coffee it be stronger coffee but less water while also downsizing as well.. I don't know my coffee stats but I do feel drinking 4 cups is a bit to much.. would love to find a 16oz brew so then when I mix in what 4oz of almond milk I'd have 20oz and be done.

it says it's 800watts which my powerstation has a 800 watt inverter so a bit hesitant given its right at the limit, however should be fine right?

I have a BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB70. I also have to get a new travel mug that is shorter as well. not super happy about that but then I can get rid of the glass 4 cups coffee maker as that gotta be a far bigger waste of watts and not very minivan safe given glass can break so easily.

The coffee maker uses K-cups AND coffee grounds as I would be using the coffee grounds option.

I'm really not even sure I'm making good quality coffee now with only 2 tablespoons.. idk.. maybe some of you know your coffee brew has better advice.

Also I really don't want a home self pour-over device. I have that as a backup option only. I also want to make hot water for tea, and rawmen noodles in my coffee maker as well from time to time too. Looking forward to getting some good feedback and advice.

I've thought a lot about this in the past few years. I've decided to leave my 4 cup automatic drip coffee pot at home and just heat water in a sauce pan on my propane cook top. This way one utensil can accomplish a few jobs in the kitchen.

What I'll do for coffee is to carry a bottle of liquid coffee extract as it takes up less space than a can of ground coffee and taste just fine to me. It will save space too. And I'm no stranger to dry instant coffee. or tea. But to each their own.

Eclipse.jpg

This is also marketed as "Auto Cart" coffee extract. But there are also other makers of coffee extract whether it be hot or cold coffee. I ran onto this in my travels thru Rhode Island.

I've thought a lot about this in the past few years. I've decided to leave my 4 cup automatic drip coffee pot at home and just heat water in a sauce pan on my propane cook top. This way one utensil can accomplish a few jobs in the kitchen.

What I'll do for coffee is to carry a bottle of liquid coffee extract as it takes up less space than a can of ground coffee and taste just fine to me. It will save space too. And I'm no stranger to dry instant coffee. or tea. But to each their own.

Eclipse.jpg

This is also marketed as "Auto Cart" coffee extract. But there are also other makers of coffee extract whether it be hot or cold coffee. I ran onto this in my travels thru Rhode Island.
You are living with the assumption that the product you like is widely available in stores where you might wish to travel. That might be true of the East Coast and if that is where you want to be that plan could work for you.

However I have never seen this product on the shelves in the Western part of the USA. There are regional brand favorites when it comes to coffee sales.

Last edited:
There are many coffee syrups available to the American market. Even online sources such as Amazon, Ebay, and Walmart have them. Kroger (and affiliates such as Ralph's) offer these in some areas. A person can even make their own. Keeping it shelf stable can be a bit of a trick so for those who use sugar in their coffee the sugar content can stabilize it or adding a bit of alcohol such as Vodka can keep unsweetened syrup shelf stable. But if you make your own it needs to be strong enough that a teaspoon or two will make an 8 oz cup of hot water a satisfying cup of coffee. Aspartame sweeteners aren't advised due to their limited stability.

Of course instant coffee would work if there is one a person likes. But in making your own syrup, you can use several instant coffees mixed together to cup the blend you like best.

Some other leading brands:

Le Monin Syrups.
1883 Syrup
Torani Syrups
DaVinci Syrups
Amoretti Syrups
Starbucks Syrup

To name just a few